Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2023, 09:13 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I'm not a fan of blue jeans, they just strike me as cheap and common looking. Go abroad and seeing someone in blue jeans just screams "I'm American!", especially when paired with white sneakers. Nothing wrong with Americans, but I don't like being labeled based on clothing choices. I do have some denim jeans, but they're black.

Of course as I type this I'm wearing blue denim cutoff shorts, so how's that for hypocrisy! I've had them for years and wear them around the house when I'm feeling sloppy.
Considering what basic Levis cost in other parts of the world - you are absolutely incorrect.

Best way to identify American tourists - straight white teeth, loud, ice in every drink.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 09:25 AM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
The style is blue.

Old 09-17-2023, 09:37 AM

350 posts, read 195,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Considering what basic Levis cost in other parts of the world - you are absolutely incorrect.

Best way to identify American tourists - straight white teeth, loud, ice in every drink.
Nailed it!

Old 09-17-2023, 10:01 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post

They just launched Carhartt in Europe. No demand for trashy American clothing?
They are truly the American work clothing. Designed by Levi Strauss out of heavy denim and copper rivets in the 1870s for miners.

It's one of the things I like about them - that if you have sturdy ones you can work in them and they are easier to clean than many other fabrics. They withstand heavy-duty washing.

In the Midwest there has never been an association between work clothing and trashy that I'm aware of. Most people here made their money the hard way. In fact some people think an outdoorsy working man or woman is attractive to them.

When people have spent the money for Carhart's you know they are making a decent living. Or nowadays have sufficient spending cash and know the various styles available. So I guess there's even a hierarchy in working clothing brands!

I also like the idea that you can dress them up with a good blazer and blouse/scarf or down with tee shirt and boots. They're really versatile.

And the ones with stretch are so comfortable.

A jeans story from my youth in the Sixties. We wore our hip-huggers so tight that sometimes we needed to lay down and suck in our stomachs to get them zipped up. I remember asking my DH to help. Bet that was about as healthy as corseting!

I also remember a pair of pin-striped denims we called elephant leg denims. I went to a party in a hotel and my jeans took up a full quarter of the elevator. Heh.

Used to dress my two youngsters in Osh Kosh B'gosh overalls for romps on the prairie and remember how surprised and happy they were when I let them wade in the river in them. Their dad even bought each a pair of overalls for helping him with outdoor work. Really, they did look cute. Not so trashy.

I will agree that there is also a stylish "trashy" look some people like to achieve with jeans.

Just thought of another jeans story. When our daughter was in junior high it was the style to peg their jeans at the bottom with safety pins. Took her forever in the morning to get ready for school. She told me, "Mom, I will never wear a pair of bell-bottoms." She found out times change.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:19 AM

323 posts, read 135,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I'm not a fan of blue jeans, they just strike me as cheap and common looking. Go abroad and seeing someone in blue jeans just screams "I'm American!", especially when paired with white sneakers. Nothing wrong with Americans, but I don't like being labeled based on clothing choices. I do have some denim jeans, but they're black.

Of course as I type this I'm wearing blue denim cutoff shorts, so how's that for hypocrisy! I've had them for years and wear them around the house when I'm feeling sloppy.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:20 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Straight-legged, dark wash jeans span the decades, I have found.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:42 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Hah, better not make the mistake of judging me by what I'm wearing.

Think - it stands to reason I've got the same amount of money, education and personality regardless of what I look like on any given day.

I kinda like the idea that people have to dig deeper to figure out what I'm all about other than judging by appearance. Those are the kinds of friends I want.

I've told the story before of working in the garden in jeans, dirty feet in sandals, dirty knees, and getting a message to come pick up some clothing that had arrived at a store downtown.

I was short of time that day and ran down as I was to pick up the clothes.

I had been looking for a full-length leather coat for some time and as I walked to the customer service desk I saw the perfect coat. Dang. Hated to ask to try it on in my present condition but I did. She unlocked it and was absolutely helpful and professional in helping me choose. Never even once looked at my dirty knees.

I was so impressed with her stellar character. Left with my new coat and she made a big sale. I think that's so cool.

Old 09-17-2023, 01:43 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I will never understand the love of jeans. They're usually not very comfortable and in the summer they are way too hot (especially the skinny ones). As a petite woman I also find it hard to find a good fit. Give me a nice pair of linen pants and I'm happy. Now if happens to be cold (in Florida, not very often), I will wear jeans.
I've never owned a pair of linen pants. In summer I wear dresses, shorts and skorts.

Old 09-17-2023, 01:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Has anyone bought a pair of the Spanx jeans? I see them advertised on Facebook.

Old 09-17-2023, 01:55 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Just thought of another jeans story. When our daughter was in junior high it was the style to peg their jeans at the bottom with safety pins. Took her forever in the morning to get ready for school.
LOL. I'm curious as to exactly what this entailed (never seen it in my area, AFAIK). Like, pinned the bottoms closed tight at the ankle? Put pins in all around in a pattern or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty