Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 02:40 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Large is good - makes your face look smaller
I don't like the trend of the large glasses. All I see is a pair of eyeglasses, some look ridiculous.

I just bought a nice pair of Lindberg eyeglasses. They are a bit trendy, compliment my face.
They don't scream: "LOOK AT MY EYEGLASSES".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 07:15 AM

8,800 posts, read 5,099,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I have prescription transition glasses that change from bright sunlight use (sun glasses) to indoor use. They did cost more than the average ones, so I'm not willing to pay a bundle for a few different frames. But, I've thought about it.
Wondering how old your glasses are.....mine are two years old and they don`t darken anymore.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:34 AM

4,610 posts, read 2,740,857 times
Well, it's all about manipulating the latest fashion so no matter what you feel out of date and think you need to buy, buy, buy.

In the 70s and 80s it was the enormous lenses. In the 90s and 00s the fashion was for the tiny (extra points if you spot the reference). Now they're going back to the enormous.

Of course, all through this nonsense, the moderate size lenses were still the best option for actually seeing well. But who cares about THAT when you can make a fashion STATEMENT with your glasses?

Personally the "fashion statement" I want my glasses to make is "he can see where he's going".

Old 07-17-2023, 10:40 AM

5,690 posts, read 3,191,619 times
I've worn glasses since I was 7 years old. I've been very nearsighted, with an astigmatism. Needless to say, glasses were expensive.

As I got older, I became less nearsighted (as most people get farsighted as they get older) and my astigmatism got a lot better as well.

As my vision has changed, I went with the no-line bifocals...but even still, sitting at a desk and computer...I tended to take my glasses off to see the screen and to read. So the last time I purchased glasses, I went to America's Best, and bought their "2 for $79" glasses, single vision. And it works for me!

Old 07-17-2023, 09:14 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,524 posts, read 6,337,572 times
I dont need glasses anymore except for cheap readers. Im one of the lucky ones. My eyes got better as I got older. Im a bigger person so I like bigger glasses. I hated those little dinky glasses when they were in style.

This ad showed up when I was perusing the web. Looked interesting. Magnetic glasses with interchangeable toppers.

https://paireyewear.com/

Old 07-18-2023, 07:35 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
I've been very nearsighted with astigmatism since I was in kindergarten. I wore glasses until I was in junior, then switched to rigid gas permeable contacts. Just before the pandemic, I started having dry eye issues, so I stopped wearing contacts and switched back to glasses. High school me would have been mortified to walk around in coke-bottle glasses, but middle-aged me is having fun with it.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:15 AM

4,610 posts, read 2,740,857 times
Many years ago I realized that sticking pieces of plastic in my eyes probably wasn't going to work out, not with my sensitive eyes. When I see the scratches, dings, pecks, etc. on my eyeglass lenses and think that a great deal of what made that would have hit me in the eyes, I continue to think my decision "no!" on contacts was the right decision.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:45 AM

17,657 posts, read 17,775,799 times
Wrong! Don’t get glasses to match outfits. Get glasses to properly fit your face’s shape and size as well as skin complexion. I went with the Transitions Xtraactive https://www.transitions.com/en-us/pr...ons-xtractive/
They change faster and offer a slight protection from electronic screen light. They’re also available in polarized. I use clip on polarized lens for driving. Amber/orange polarized lens offer greater visibility for daytime driving. They’re available in mirrored lens which are nearly clear indoors and darken to a select color and are mirrored when darkened.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:26 AM

17,657 posts, read 17,775,799 times
Some eyewear places offer a service to match your face measurements(width at temples, width between pupils, nose bridge, and arm length from frame to back of ears), face shape, skin tone, and hair color to bet match frames to fit your head and face. Some frames offer snap or clip on color frame attachments to change the color or pattern of your frames.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:37 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,772,135 times
I've worn eyeglasses since the third grade. "Fashion glasses?" Only Elton John can pull off that kind of look. I'll stick to simple metal frames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty