Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 10:00 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I think its odd but whatever floats his boat. He wears a Hope ring on left “Ring Finger”. And yes, he’s single. He lives in his brother.
I know a few older men who wear big, flashy rings. I find it incredibly ugly but not my circus and monkey.

They are a certain kind of stone he has some sort of emotions over and he had them made.
One is some college ring
One is some sports team ring

In which end of his brother does he live, is he in the a**? That might change my answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 10:34 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,740,815 times
A quick search shows a "hope ring" is worn to remind those with cancer, (or a loved one) that they are never alone. This can be deeply personal and the wearer might get emotional when trying to explain it. which shouldn't even be asked.

Homophobia much ? Sure sounds like it.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:37 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I've heard of dudes that wear a ring on their L3. They wear this and "go out."

They hope that a woman (or man, or whatever) finds the ring as a challenge. Something to be "conquered." I imagine copious amounts of alcohol would be a prerequisite. Or karaoke...
This brings to mind the Seinfeld episode in which George put this theory to the test. He wore a wedding ring to parties and women flocked to him, when previously no one approached him. However, he had his comeuppance eventually when a woman he was really interested in saw the ring and said, "It's too bad you're married. I really like you." And, of course, the ring got stuck on his finger when George tried to quickly remove it while the lady walked away.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:58 AM

61,657 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Way too much of symbolism here.
He could be wearing that ring on his left hand finger because it fits there the best or this is his personal preference. The ring finger isn't uniformly used for wearing the wedding ring.

Best is just to ask to have clear answer instead of jumping to conclusions.

Keep in mind that he could be following foreign traditions.
This is a map of wedding ring-wearing traditions in Europe.
Green: on the left-hand ring-finger;
red: on the right-hand one; (plus Cuba, Norway, Peru, Colombia, Jordan, and Venezuela.)

https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/wedding-rings/

Old 12-07-2022, 12:20 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I think its odd but whatever floats his boat. He wears a Hope ring on left “Ring Finger”. And yes, he’s single. He lives in his brother.
I've run across married men who wear their wedding rings while out at bars to pick up women. They want women to know up front what the connection with them will be, and nothing more. In the movie "Indiscreet," Cary Grant tells Ingrid Bergman, who is a single middle aged actress in the movie, that he is married when he's not. He tells her that so she "knows" their affair will be just that - an affair - and nothing more. Good movie. I won't tell you how it ends, if you haven't seen it.

Old 12-07-2022, 01:19 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
So there could be a lot of reasons. The only time that this would concern me though is if I were considering dating him, otherwise, his quirks or whatever is going on would not matter. I just got the feeling that he was uncomfortable with the questioning in the first place, and many people have awkward situations or just want privacy. Gee, if one wants to know if someone is married, just ask the darn question!

Old 12-07-2022, 02:06 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,039,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
There is a certain kind of woman, with a certain goal in mind, who prefers a man who is already taken. Perhaps that's the kind of woman he's interested in meeting. And yes I'm sure there is a male equivalent to that certain kind of woman.
Ya think? LOL

Old 12-07-2022, 02:58 PM

855 posts, read 623,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post
Although I haven't, I have contemplated wearing a wedding ring at work in the past. My reason was to appear married so I could be left alone.
This is why I have worn a ring or wedding band on my left hand.

I've been told that it might have the opposite effect and that some might consider it a challenge, but then I wouldn't be interested in anyone who would consider pursuing someone they thought was already married. If anything, that would just help me identify those who don't think much of committed relationships and therefore couldn't be trusted in one themselves.

As it is, I'm more than happy flying solo. I guess one could say that my ring's a sign I'm in a committed relationship with Solitude.

-

Old 12-07-2022, 03:02 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hmmmm...I've heard of "honor" rings for suicide awareness but they are on the index finger and usually a black band.

How would a regular band on your left ring finger signal anything other than being married?
It is not unknown to see young adults and teens raised in the Christian tradition like Pastor's kids wearing purity rings as they pledge to abstain from intimate relations until marriage. And the left hand for marriage is not universal.

In the last marriage ceremony officiated by a Roman Catholic Priest, the Orthodox tend to use the right hand more so than other denominations, that I attended the priest had recently transferred to that area and even though every married person in attendance that I noticed after the priest's actions worn their rings on the left hand he insisted that the couple pull that hand back and extend their right hands for the rings as was done in the province from which he was from.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:26 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
One of my friends who is a woman worked as a night manager in a hotel. She said the hotel had multiple sets of fake engagement and wedding rings for the workers to put on during their shift.

More or less, it didn't stop the guys from coming down and flirting with the workers, but it was an easy way for them to casually drop a hint that most of the guys respected and then went off in search of easier quarry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty