Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 11:03 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinMay View Post
Recently I broke my nose and got surgery to repair it.

When I told this lady I just met a month ago who I’m not serious yet or anything with about breaking my nose she mentioned a few times through text while I’m getting surgery anyway I might as well take advantage and get plastic surgery.

I have kind of a big nose so don’t get me wrong it’s something I’ve thought of over the years but the fact she brought it up a few times really turned me off. If my nose turns you off so much then don’t be with me.

A few of my women friends though also brought up taking advantage of plastic surgery while I’m getting my nose fixed so now I’m starting to think eventually I should get it done if it’s that much if a turnoff to women

I wouldn’t do for the women I’m currently seeing. I still think it’s in bad taste to mention it like she did.

But it sounds like it is a problem and women find big noses a huge turnoff
I'm shocked and horrified that anyone would presume to say such a thing to you. So sorry, OP! I'd just bet that your nose is perfectly wonderful. I don't know that you'd feel comfortable saying something if this happens again, but I find a, "What on earth makes you think it is appropriate to say such a thing to me?" works wonders at re-establishing boundaries. I do know this is the Fashion and Beauty forum, where such topics are discussed, but out in the real world, it's never, ever okay to suggest that another person have plastic surgery no matter how helpful one thinks they are being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 11:18 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,306,085 times
She'll probably want you to "fix" other things too. Keep an eye out for more critiques from her on all kinds of stuff. You'll never be good enough cuz she'll always want to fix things about you, even if they don't need to be fixed.

Old 08-16-2022, 01:26 PM

453 posts, read 301,374 times
Get RID of girls like this and find some better. Getting unnecessary plastic surgery is a HUGE RISK to your face and ability to breath for heavens sakes. WATCH BOTCHED!

Quality people appreciate the family and ethnic traits of other people. And CERTAINLY won't suggest you change your appearance after only communicating with you for a month AND not having a CLUE WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!!

My Greek BIL has a traditional Greek nose and it's awesome.

Old 08-16-2022, 03:17 PM

9,445 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:

When I told this lady I just met a month ago who I’m not serious yet or anything with about breaking my nose she mentioned a few times through text while I’m getting surgery anyway I might as well take advantage and get plastic surgery.

I have kind of a big nose so don’t get me wrong it’s something I’ve thought of over the years but the fact she brought it up a few times really turned me off. If my nose turns you off so much then don’t be with me.

A few of my women friends though also brought up taking advantage of plastic surgery while I’m getting my nose fixed so now I’m starting to think eventually I should get it done if it’s that much if a turnoff to women

I wouldn’t do for the women I’m currently seeing. I still think it’s in bad taste to mention it like she did.

I think it depends on the nose and the face. It's a rare occasion where I might think "Gads, that guy has a huge nose!!!!"

But it's a good question. If you are going to have surgery anyway, why not trim up your schnizzle a little? Nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:39 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
There are a lot of big noses in my family and our motto is "if you're going to have a nose, HAVE A NOSE". Then I married a guy who's nose was also kind of big and worried about my own kids, joking that I should have a plastic surgery fund. My daughters nose is fine, my sons is like his dads which is also fine since it fits him. Being a big 6'3" guys kind of demands a bigger than average nose.

That said I did have rhinoplasty as a teen and while the results were fine I do have some problems with it now that I'm older, mostly with breathing and stuffiness that was probably caused an internal valve partially collapsing, which can happen.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:31 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
You do realize during rhino surgery, they break your nose ? That is actually the perfect time to get a modification done.
Your physician may not be the brightest bulb on that procedure.
As for a person suggesting- while your fixing it, maybe a bit of nip can be done .

I think most who make such an observation are looking at the opportunity, not as an insult. You are free to make your own medical choices .
This is my perspective of how a person may interpret such a remark.

I agree, I'd think that if the OP went into surgery to fix his broken nose that did not heal right, getting a rhino surgery done at the same time makes sense. As I was saying above, according to Dr Nassif on Botched, you can only have a "nose job" so many times before you (the doctor/surgeon) does damage that can not be fixed. Look at Michael Jackson, but then again, nasal surgery has come a long way, doctor Nassif is able to use rib to rebuild the nose where cartilage is gone.

I have no experience with nose surgery. I looked it up, link is below. There are different types of surgeries to fix a broken nose, one is before it starts healing, sounds less invasive.

If the OP was having the invasive one then it makes no sense why they wouldn't do a trim at the same time.

OP has already had the surgery so he missed his chance. Personally, I would not have nose surgery until I was about 40 due to the nose always growing.

I also would make sure I had the best surgeon I could find, traveling to a major city where the best doctors usually are.

Broken Nose

how not to get a botched nose job

Quote:
In order to avoid a revision rhinoplasty OR fix a previously botched rhinoplasty, follow these tips:

Find an experienced facial plastic surgeon. ...
Ask for the plastic surgeon's revision rate. ...
Ask about the surgeon's experience with revision rhinoplasties. ...
Look at before and after pictures.

Facial Plastic Surgery Dos and Don'ts, Explained by Dr. Paul Nassif - Dr. Paul Nassif wants patients to be aware of the "do's and don'ts" when considering plastic surgery.

Quote:
Before even deciding on specific procedures, patients should research the plastic surgeon they are considering. Board certification is essential, but patients should also consider online reviews by patients. Experience with specific procedures, such as Asian eyelid surgery, also called double eyelid surgery, can also be important depending on goals. With any treatment, patients should have realistic expectations about what can be achieved. Finally, patients must be prepared to listen to the surgeon regarding safety and proper healing before and after plastic surgery.

The plastic surgery do's and don'ts, according to Botched star Dr Paul Nassif - “You need to be doing plastic surgery for the right reasons... don’t expect perfection."

Quote:
Because it’s elective surgery, you need to have an exam and blood tests done to make sure you’re in great physical health before undergoing a procedure.

That’s number one. Number two is you need to be doing the surgery for the right reasons. We want to make sure the patient is mentally healthy as well, so you can’t be doing it for anyone else, because of obsessive-compulsive or body-dysmorphic disorders, and you can’t be expecting perfection. Some people may have a bump on their nose and want to get rid of it, they may want to look a little younger for their job or they just want to feel better about themselves, and those are better reasons to have surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There are a lot of big noses in my family and our motto is "if you're going to have a nose, HAVE A NOSE". Then I married a guy who's nose was also kind of big and worried about my own kids, joking that I should have a plastic surgery fund. My daughters nose is fine, my sons is like his dads which is also fine since it fits him. Being a big 6'3" guys kind of demands a bigger than average nose.

That said I did have rhinoplasty as a teen and while the results were fine I do have some problems with it now that I'm older, mostly with breathing and stuffiness that was probably caused an internal valve partially collapsing, which can happen.

You're very lucky your surgery was successful. Doctor Nassif says teens should not have a nose job because their nose is too immature, it is best to wait until a person is in their 20's.

Of course if the teens nose got broken it is a different story, but the fix should be just to fix the broken nose.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:03 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
My father broke his nose and the doctor he saw was an ENT plastic surgeon- so basically someone who focuses only on facial surgeries. I would imagine that of the plastic surgeons doing this surgery, they are probably the best, since they want to make sure that your nose works right and can also make sure it looks good.

I wouldn’t really be that bothered about it. I have often thought about functional plastic surgery for a deviated septum and know it is better to have a rhinoplasty done during that surgery than to wait and do a second one.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:14 AM

9,118 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Remember the Seinfeld episode:

Old 08-17-2022, 11:00 AM

552 posts, read 345,136 times
Quote:

Yes, it is rude and inconsiderate. If you mentioned this it would be different, but for her to bring it up is a lack of manners.

~ To Thy Own Self be True ~

I find when anyone brings up anything to someone about their appearance, weight, etc. is lacking manners.

Years ago I use to run in to an acquaintance and she said I looked good because I lost so much weight. I replied, I haven't lost any weight, my weight has always been the same. She insisted that I had lost weight, I said I think I would know. I said perhaps it was the clothes I was wearing. I looked at her kinda puzzled like are you for real ? I just stayed away from her after that, someone that dense I don't care to know even as an acquaintance.

Last edited by bellamax2; 08-17-2022 at 11:21 AM..

Old 08-17-2022, 11:23 AM

552 posts, read 345,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
She'll probably want you to "fix" other things too. Keep an eye out for more critiques from her on all kinds of stuff. You'll never be good enough cuz she'll always want to fix things about you, even if they don't need to be fixed.
This is what I was thinking, too.

OP get away from this person, you don't want or need someone like that in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty