Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 11:04 AM

15,660 posts, read 26,472,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I think this is also the case for lipstick!
I can’t even find pastel lipstick at this point, which frankly with my very thin lips looks good on me. Trying to put a bright or dark color on the lips makes them look worse. It’s like what every evil woman on television or stage looks like. Every time you see a woman who is bad her lips are very dark and very thin. Balalaika

And if you have very thin lips, you can’t even really overdraw them. I’m not too bad at make up, and I’ve tried it multiple times and I can make it look OK on camera. But like the women who look fantastic in the videos of how they do their make up, after they push 42 pounds of crap on their face, in real life, I’m betting they don’t look good. I’ve seen women who overdo their makeup, it looks like they overdo their makeup.

I actually enjoy watching those types of videos because I enjoy the artistry of what the person is doing, and the final look is amazing, but I can’t imagine that it’s realistic. I don’t understand the concept of blanking out your entire face with a ton of heavy coverage foundation, and then putting bronzer and contour on when they both look like dirt, and then highlighter which just looks like shine, then lipliner, lipstick AND lipgloss..and then you have to wear eyelashes. Because after you put 47 different colors on your eyes if you just wear mascara you’re not gonna look done.

But, I am 62 years old. My skin is pretty good still. I grew up in the natural look era. Foundation feels disgusting to me. So I wear a tiny bit of light concealer, a creamy eyeshadow, mascara and blush and finish it off with a little lip gloss. I’m trying to figure out the trick to get rid of the bags, but the common advice of dealing with the shadow does not work. My skin is very pale, and there is no “two shades lighter” concealer when you always grab the lightest shade. I’ve tried some white, but that looks white. So now I’m going to try white as a mixing medium to mix with the concealer that is very skin toned for me, and see if I can get it to be light enough to hide those shadows. If not I’m gonna go see a damn dermatologist and have them do something. Because I really hate the bags. It’s all I see in the mirror.

Old 05-15-2022, 12:49 PM

3,122 posts, read 1,724,989 times
I don't get it either. I used to love real full pouty lips - until the 10 years or so when the craze prompted women to go overboard with it. Because of it, I no longer am partial to full lips, and to me it looks good only on the people born with it.

But though I miss Nicole Kidman's thinner, chiseled lips, she didn't overdo it. Looks fine.

However, a lot of pictures you see online like in social media are photoshopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 03:04 PM

9,747 posts, read 5,546,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I don't get it either. I used to love real full pouty lips - until the 10 years or so when the craze prompted women to go overboard with it. Because of it, I no longer am partial to full lips, and to me it looks good only on the people born with it.

But though I miss Nicole Kidman's thinner, chiseled lips, she didn't overdo it. Looks fine.

However, a lot of pictures you see online like in social media are photoshopped.
Remember Goldie Hawn in the First Wives' and her lips were like totally swollen That was funny.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:07 PM

9,747 posts, read 5,546,673 times
[quote=Lodestar;63440205]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Right with you on this one and think that's exactly what it is. And I think it looks gross most of the time.
It's like all these selfies with people with their tongues out. WTH? There must be some basis for that, too, which I just presumed had some sexual connotation.

https://songswave.com/world-music/al...ctors-Edition/
I don't think that's it.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,794,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Remember Goldie Hawn in the First Wives' and her lips were like totally swollen That was funny.
She looked absolutely ridiculous. It was hilarious.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:03 PM

12,281 posts, read 8,717,411 times
[quote=Riley.;63441580]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I don't think that's it.
You don't think the Rolling Stone's cover had a sexual connotation?

Old 05-15-2022, 06:47 PM

17,659 posts, read 39,508,282 times
Maybe I'm weird, but I actually appreciate natural thin lips. I was never a fan of big lips, and especially not now with so many going overboard. Mine are thin and I am fine with it. I usually wear light lipstick but sometimes wear red. I am 72 with gray hair and the red kind of perks me up. I have to be in the mood to wear it, though.

Old 05-16-2022, 02:08 AM

18,732 posts, read 19,086,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
You see this from women on social media such as instagram, facebook etc. a lot, where they will turn their lips into a kind of pouty lips, greatly exaggerating them; kind of looks like Jimmy Carter lol. Why do they think that's at all attractive?
I have no idea and it looks daft....wasnt it Posh Spice who started all that years ago.. said she didnt think she looked nice smiling..

Old 05-16-2022, 08:41 AM

15,901 posts, read 20,903,075 times
Ah duck face....

Why do people do that?

Old 05-16-2022, 10:35 AM

5,853 posts, read 3,385,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
No, it's not. A Marilyn Monroe 'pout' maybe. The exaggerated smooch... not even a little bit.
That's why I said SOME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty