Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 12:02 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,240,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
I feel like a few clarifications are in order:

1. While I didn't mean to imply that $100 is "cheap," it's significantly less than the $180-240 that the brands I mentioned charge. If I could find designer fit and feel for $100, I'd be very happy.

2. In my experience, designer jeans have a softer feel with the right amount of stretch and are designed and cut in ways that mass-market jeans rarely are. I understand that many/most people have no interest in paying for designer denim, but some people do and most I know don't go back once they start wearing the pricier items.

3. There have been some suggestions that I "try on different styles" to see what I like. My point here is that I have tried on many mid-priced jeans in different styles and I always find them lacking in some way. I'm really wondering if there are under-the-radar brands - especially "premium" brands that I peg in the $100 range, above mass market but below luxury - that I may not be aware of and have worked well for people as a replacement for more luxury brands.

4. Comments along the lines of "I've never worn designer denim but..." are not all that helpful. I'm really looking for opinions from folks who have worn expensive jeans but identified less expensive brands that are just as good.

That was the point I was trying to make...unless we've worn designer jeans...we can't compare. Whether we're male or female. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 02:05 PM

50,472 posts, read 64,337,686 times
What I would do is look carefully at the fabric content of your favorite jeans. Cotton, spandex, etc. as well as the percent of each. Before you even try them on, you can probably eliminate some right away.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:31 PM

37,770 posts, read 46,244,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
I feel like a few clarifications are in order:

1. While I didn't mean to imply that $100 is "cheap," it's significantly less than the $180-240 that the brands I mentioned charge. If I could find designer fit and feel for $100, I'd be very happy.

2. In my experience, designer jeans have a softer feel with the right amount of stretch and are designed and cut in ways that mass-market jeans rarely are. I understand that many/most people have no interest in paying for designer denim, but some people do and most I know don't go back once they start wearing the pricier items.

3. There have been some suggestions that I "try on different styles" to see what I like. My point here is that I have tried on many mid-priced jeans in different styles and I always find them lacking in some way. I'm really wondering if there are under-the-radar brands - especially "premium" brands that I peg in the $100 range, above mass market but below luxury - that I may not be aware of and have worked well for people as a replacement for more luxury brands.

4. Comments along the lines of "I've never worn designer denim but..." are not all that helpful. I'm really looking for opinions from folks who have worn expensive jeans but identified less expensive brands that are just as good.
**Disclaimer: I'm a girl.

I hate most jeans in the stores today. For one thing, I hate the stretchy crap. Other than gym wear, I have never liked tight fitting clothes, and the jeans that you pull on like a freaking wetsuit are totally unappealing. Cotton denim is what I prefer, although it is really hard to find now in a style that I like. I *have* found some jeans at Buckle that I like, they offer some low-stretch fabrics. I think most of them are over $100, but not much over. They have men's jeans too so maybe try them.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:50 AM

28,712 posts, read 18,920,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I have no idea what jeans cost............but do some math based on use.

$100 pair worn 500 times = 20 cents each time you wear them.
$50 pair worn 250 times = same 20 cents.
(meaning the cheaper pair doesn't last as long).
But is that wear rate true with regard to designer jean prices?

Duluth Trading Company sells jeans specifically made for construction workers that range from $40 to $75, and I doubt there are any designer jeans at any price that wear longer.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:45 AM

22,436 posts, read 29,589,999 times
Have you looked into Lucky Brand? The bf loves them and run around $100 a pair

Old 05-06-2022, 05:32 PM

306 posts, read 1,119,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Good suggestion! My son loves them too so maybe I’ll give them a try.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:34 PM

306 posts, read 1,119,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Have you considered American made denim? They are equally as expensive as the designer brands, but quality is light years better, last longer, hold up better (so, worth the price, IMO, just like shoes). I've tried a few and have a few recommendations, but fit is very subjective, just like everything else. All that aside, I like sevens as well, especially when dressing up jeans...
Great suggestion. I’m going to try Dearborn Denim made here in Chicago where I live.

Old 05-06-2022, 06:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,297,315 times
I bought some skinny jeans named Kansas in Peru SA about 12 years ago.
Cheap but well fitting.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:52 PM

24,152 posts, read 32,653,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I second Lucky brand jeans. I just will not spend more than $100 for a pair of jeans. I have exactly one pair of Lucky jeans.

My other jeans all last long and fit well. It's really hard to avoid spandex in jeans today. I will not wear "jeggings".

American Eagle and GAP are fine for me. They don't have as much spandex as many brands, and they fit me well. Old Navy is a bit less, and I own a few of those.

I really like the jeans at Express. I have also had a good experience with those.

"Designer Jeans" to me, are a contradiction in terms.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:23 PM

4,856 posts, read 3,670,317 times
I like Everlane and J Crew. I've just purchased several pair of jeans from J Crew for $20, regularly over $100. Gotta watch for sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty