Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 11:29 AM

11,200 posts, read 6,817,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Lands End tank top, which IRL has gigantic armholes.

Exactly! They hide the gigantic arm-holes. We need a side-shot!

I grabbed these 3 tank tops at REI (outdoor wear, not a cheap place, either) before we moved down here and probably didn't notice the arm-holes as I didn't try them on since they weren't fitted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah, I think these tops must be for workout wear. Certainly the tops I wear to the gym or run in, have very large armholes, but I wear a sports bra under them!! Surely people are not mistaking that type of top for regular street wear with a bra.
I've seen them all over (U.S.) with bras showing underneath. Ugh.

I am talking about wearing them in the house or just down at the pool. Without a bra.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Perhaps, wear a swim suit top under the sleeveless shirt...
Well sure, but the idea is to be comfortable at home. My swimsuit tops are underwire and NOT comfortable.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
How long have you been in wherever you are now?
5 1/2 years. I have never tried to shop for clothes here, it's just too daunting. I did get a few items in Spain.

I am a bit paranoid about when I really need something new, yikes.

The women here are impervious to heat and though they are all chunky, they wear super-tight tops.
I can't stand clingy tops in a hot climate.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:49 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,561,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
No. Not fat either though. Just average. I know what you mean about some older women and their huge floppy upper arms. I don't have that.

That was diplomatic though----instead of saying "do you have fat arms?" LOL.

Ah, but in a society where two-thirds of women are overweight or obese, well, you need big armholes for big arms.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:11 PM

37,853 posts, read 46,489,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Exactly! They hide the gigantic arm-holes. We need a side-shot!

I grabbed these 3 tank tops at REI (outdoor wear, not a cheap place, either) before we moved down here and probably didn't notice the arm-holes as I didn't try them on since they weren't fitted.
REI? Pretty sure that tank tops from REI are athletic wear (I shop there frequently) and I would expect to wear a sports bra under them.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:14 PM

37,853 posts, read 46,489,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Ah, but in a society where two-thirds of women are overweight or obese, well, you need big armholes for big arms.
Sleeveless tops are one of my favorite items of clothing in the summer. But athletic tanks and regular casual streetwear tanks are completely different. I have never had an issue with "gigantic armholes" in my street clothing LOL. And I have fairly athletic arms - certainly not fat. I think folks must be confusing the two different styles - they have very different purposes.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:58 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,561,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Sleeveless tops are one of my favorite items of clothing in the summer. But athletic tanks and regular casual streetwear tanks are completely different. I have never had an issue with "gigantic armholes" in my street clothing LOL. And I have fairly athletic arms - certainly not fat. I think folks must be confusing the two different styles - they have very different purposes.

Athletic tanks are generally meant to have a sports bra under them, and the arms are cut wide so there is range of motion for exercise or sports. The best casual streetwear tanks have some stretch to them. Years ago Fruit of the Loom made the best ribbed tanks in all kinds of colors. They had a little bit of lycra in them and were perfect for those of us with small or medium arms but large chests because the armholes didn't pull forward.

And then they stopped making them and now either use a different fabric or cut, and my choice is either to have stretched armholes that show part of the bra under my arm or walk around looking like "HERE ARE MY BOOBS, COME LOOK AT MY BOOBS! GET YOUR BOOBS HERE! BOOBS!"

It's very frustrating.

Old 04-20-2022, 01:22 PM

11,056 posts, read 7,626,457 times
https://i.redd.it/027iexvz0x541.png
These overdresses from the middle ages were called "Windows of Hell"
comin' back in style after only 600 years!

Old 04-20-2022, 01:31 PM
KCZ

4,701 posts, read 3,763,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
https://i.redd.it/027iexvz0x541.png
These overdresses from the middle ages were called "Windows of Hell"
comin' back in style after only 600 years!

LOL, thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty