Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 08:58 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times

Advertisements

I tend toward prints with foliage, like leaves, palm fronds, ferns, etc, but I do like some animal prints. I have a rule about them though...only one animal print article can be worn at one time. Same goes for anything shiny, or glittery, or print, stripes, etc. And absolutely don't wear two different varieties of these items together, like a leopard print top and shiny pants, or a glittery top with zebra print leggings and shiny sandals. It creates what I call the "Palm Springs look" and seems to be favored by certain women over 70, who always look over-dressed in a tacky way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 09:57 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
I've always felt that animal prints on clothing look a bit tacky. I don't think I've ever seen an animal print done in a way that made me say "Yes - I want to wear that."

I'm not averse to prints in general although I tend to stick with solid colors, but prints that I wear have to have a softer quality. I didn't know that there were so many women who liked the look of animal prints. I don't tend to see the style worn much but I'm always in favor of women getting together to appreciate a common interest for friendship. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-12-2022, 12:50 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I have a two tops, a jacket, workout tops, a nightgown, a belt, a pair of sandals and a closed ballerina flat shoe and one purse. Only wear one at a time however. I'm not a fan of everything being matchy matchy. I never even realized I lean toward animal prints until the BF mentioned it yesterday after my latest workout top arrived in a leopard print. :-)

Capricorn here.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:06 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
OK, ladies, Libra here. And just call me "tacky" because I ADORE leopard print and in fact am wearing a leopard print dress right now! I have leopard scarves, belly dance costumes, jacket, etc. Always been one of my faves; probably because it was my mother's as well.

But then again I am what you call a "Bohemian" type and always dress a bit wild and crazy!

Old 04-13-2022, 09:20 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Im a bit of a plain jane Im small too so tend to stick to solid colours usually dark.. it suits my personality as Im quite a shy person and dont like to be noticed or stand out... Im Taurus but dont know if that means much.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:06 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
In 1965 I had a leopard print coat like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/183381016060949137/ with a black, sheared lamb collar. We called them trapeze coats instead of A-line.

They were horribly impractical for our cold winters - short sleeves and the wind could find it's way in under the hem and into the sleeves.

That might have been my only venture into full animal regalia. I loved it. Audrey Hepburn!

But I did once have a casual blouse I was fond of with a mix of leopard print, leaves, zebra stripes. It was small scale print and I wore it with cargo pants and bamboo circle bracelets as I had seen in "Seventeen" magazine.

I long ago settled into a style of solids and do my emoting with accessories or unique fabric trim. Those were fun days, discovering my style which turned out to be pretty eclectic. But dressing in solids is easier, more versatile and practical.
Plus I have better luck emphasizing and minimizing the features I want with solids.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:15 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
In 1965 I had a leopard print coat like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/183381016060949137/ with a black, sheared lamb collar. We called them trapeze coats instead of A-line.
My mom had a similar coat in the '60s. I would totally wear it today; I'm wearing a leopard print robe right now!

I worked at a super liberal California university for several years. Each fall, all the new freshmen would arrive, wearing bright and colorful clothing. By February, they had all adopted the unofficial uniform of jeans and blue or gray tees. Kids who wanted to stand out wore red tees, and the real rebels wore green tees. SO BORING! Rarely saw any leopard, and certainly none after November.

I saw a live Gypsy Rose Lee (famous stripper, the musical Gypsy is based on her life) interview on TV in the '70s. She was bright and lively in her 60s. She was wearing tight leopard toreador pants.

I don't remember seeing a lot of animal prints around until the late 1980s; I started wearing them then and haven't stopped.

Last edited by steiconi; 04-13-2022 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-13-2022, 11:46 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
I really like it…to a degree. I tend towards a lot of black, so I might add, an animal print tank under a black sweater…or I might wear all black with a pair of animal print shoes (the shoes are actually the thing I have the most of…boots, flats, I love my black APL sneakers with animal print soles). I have a leopard purse that I carry if I wear all black (or sometimes with red). I don’t like it overpowering…but those little touches…yeah. I do have a pair of leggings that are a black on black zebra, really subtle…that’s about as far as I can go with animal print pants/leggings. Leo, although not sure that matters…I don’t go for that stuff and I’m quiet and subtle and not particularly stereotypical “Leo”.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:17 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
1. My screen name "Sheena" has nothing to do with the jungle and everything to do with a punk rock song, for the record.

2. I am a Libra.

3. There are arty and creative ways to wear animal prints and others that are more over the top, matronly, and tacky.

4. Some women do not care about what society thinks is "tacky" I have a good friend who has shocking pink hair and wears loads of animal print, especially leopard.

5. I like leopard in small doses. It can make an otherwise uptight outfit more interesting and fun, without sacrificing credibility or a professional look. For example, if you are wearing a mostly black or camel suit, add a leopard shell instead of a cream blouse. A leopard clutch bag looks nice with a LBD. Leopard pumps with a black skirt are also cute as is a leopard skin print belt with jeans. I have a pair of pointy toed, kitten heal booties that look adorable with jeans or a simple black skirt.

6. I LOVE Loadster's vintage trapeze coat!

Old 04-14-2022, 07:19 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Well gee whiz, you'/re certainly a charter member of the new Sisterhood of the Leopard! Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Yeah, I have a purse.
And a wallet.

And gloves, hat, and scarf.

And pajamas, sweaters, leggings, clogs...

But I never wear more than 2 or 3 at the same time.
Almost never.

I used to have a leopard print ottoman, too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty