Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 11:56 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times

Advertisements

I haven't worn makeup since pre-Covid so all my stuff is really old. I'm going to a wedding in September and I'll likely need makeup only for that day or weekend. I seem to not have a lot of luck finding sample sizes online. Anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 08:39 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I would think your best bet is to schedule an appointment with a makeup artist. Pricey, but probably less expensive than buying a completely new line of products if you don't plan to use it often.
If malls still offer makeovers at the makeup counter you might consider that, make a small purchase as a thank you if the makeover is free?

Old 04-08-2022, 09:07 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
What makeup do you usually wear? Foundation, blush, eyeliner, eyebrow pencil etc?

You might be able to get samples from Ulta or Sephora for some of it. Sometimes they have beauty samplers on sale. For that matter, you could check department store websites - sometimes Estee Lauder and other brands have sampler gift sets.

I just pick my makeup up from the grocery store. Now that masks are coming off and people are getting out more, you might find that you'll have more occasions to wear makeup.

Edited to add: I just checked the Dillard's website and they have a makeup sample set by Smashbox for $25. Again, it really depends on what you are looking for.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:38 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
I think Ulta and Sephora have beauty sampler sets that are reasonably priced- probably no more expensive than buying everything you need at a drugstore.

FWIW, I do one of the monthly beauty boxes and most of the makeup I use regularly other than foundation/tinted moisturizer comes from those boxes. It was a lifesaver one day when I was attending a continuing education course and we received an announcement that the last hour was expected to be via video. I was able to look through what I had gotten to do a full face of makeup without ending up with horrible breakouts from ancient makeup.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:39 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I would go to Ulta and just stick to the drugstore brands side to the store. Ask an employee for help. I just did a quick search, and if I stuck to e.l.f., NYX, Wet & Wild, and Essence, I can put together a whole look of really good quality products (foundation, concealer, powder, brow pencil, blush/bronzer/highlight, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, and lipstick) for $40 total. And you may not want/need all those items, so you may be able to get away with cheaper.

If you want any specific recommendations, just say the word!

Old 04-08-2022, 09:59 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
a whole look of really good quality products (foundation, concealer, powder, brow pencil, blush/bronzer/highlight, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, and lipstick) for $40 total. And you may not want/need all those items, so you may be able to get away with cheaper.
That's true, and you don't want to wear makeup or a lot of makeup, you could probably get away with mascara, a tinted moisturizer, and lipstick/gloss and look polished enough for a wedding.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:03 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's true, and you don't want to wear makeup or a lot of makeup, you could probably get away with mascara, a tinted moisturizer, and lipstick/gloss and look polished enough for a wedding.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what kind of a look OP was looking for. Could be just a clean polished look, or may want a more "special occasion" look.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:51 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
You COULD try the dollar store. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. The one by us carries eye shadows, foundations, and lip colors.

Granted...might not be any shades or formulas you like...but say for 5 bucks...you might find what you need.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:11 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
Go to Macy beauty counter and ask for a sample of XYZ foundation. Tell them you want to test it out before buying
But tbh besides liquid base product like foundation, concealer, primer, .. it will be difficult to get sample of powder stuff. But there are mini size mascara which is the only thing I use..so u can buy mini makeup

Old 04-08-2022, 03:44 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Do you know anyone who sells Mary Kay cosmetics?

I don't know if this is still a thing, but the representatives used to have access to these palette cards that had enough eyeshadow, blush, and lipstick on them to do about two "try before you buy" test runs. When a relative was a representative, I used to love keeping those paper makeup sample cards for travel.

****I just checked online for Mary Kay sample cards. Turns out, you can buy them easily and inexpensively on Poshmark, eBay, and other online sellers such as FB Marketplace and get a really nice assortment to try out if you don't have someone you know to hit up for samples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty