Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 11:36 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Were girls criticized for wearing tank tops or short skirts? Were Black students called out for natural hair? That's codified in a lot of school dress codes.

https://19thnews.org/2022/01/school-...de-challenges/
They weren't criticized at my high school because they weren't allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 03:46 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
I remember ppl wearing pj bottoms & flipflops in public 20-25 years ago. I also remember women wearing mens' patterned boxers as outerwear shorts. I thought it was just a SoCal thing... it was everywhere. I never shopped at Wal-Mart.

Oh well, Crocs are back, too.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:59 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Jeez, what a bunch of busy bodies.

Who cares.

If pajamas to school had been a thing when I was in college, (not high school, my mom was militant with just about everything, including how we dressed), I would have worn pajamas. They are comfortable.

There are so many things in this world to be upset about, but young people, or any people, wearing pajamas while out and about, is not one of them.

Sure would be neat if people looked in the mirror and took the time to improve on their own short comings rather than focusing on what others are doing. It doesn't need to affect you because it's not your business.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:31 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Were girls criticized for wearing tank tops or short skirts? Were Black students called out for natural hair? That's codified in a lot of school dress codes.

https://19thnews.org/2022/01/school-...de-challenges/
I thought the thread was about wearing pajamas to school?

Old 01-30-2022, 07:41 AM

9,454 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesJava View Post
I have several students that arrive to an 8 AM class wearing pajama bottoms, bedroom shoes, and with a fairly wicked case of bedhead. My wish is for them to develop a greater sense of pride in themselves.

JJ
Yes.....because they look disheveled and, right or wrong, like it or not, some will make judgments about them based on their appearance.
If they can't comport and dress themselves in a professional manner in school, how will this translate to the workplace?
It appears many people here believe they will outgrow this stage. I'm not convinced. I worked with quite a few people (in the fed gov't no less) who were always disheveled, lacked a certain level of personal hygiene, claimed to have social anxiety and other disorders (I am not unsympathetic to this by any means, just in case anyone thinks i am), and who consistently produced sub-standard work.

If this behavior persists into the employment realm, I would see it as a red flag.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:55 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
That's definitely true. I might roll my eyes seeing a bunch of college kids walking to class in pajamas and sweats, but you know what? It doesn't affect *me* one little bit, and it's actually none of my business what they do, so we're all good.
Exactly. My SIL is grossly overweight (by at least 100 pounds) and I'd rather see her in pajama bottoms than the skin-tight leggings she thinks make her look slimmer. If she at least wore tops that cover her butt it might not be so unflattering. But it's her choice what to wear, and not my place to comment. I may judge, but I won't comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty