Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 03:21 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,803 times

Advertisements

On a recent post I described my mom as not being a makeup person,which I am. I also defended my fondness for make-up in another. My deleted post there was for going off topic, not being a meany. I am a strong, but nice woman ,thanks to my mother. Mom is very beautiful in a natural, unaffected way- but I look almost nothing like her(except from behind). I have been a y from as long as I can remember. My oldest daughter likes the fun and creative aspects of makeup, but eschews hairbrushing and general primping.She wore the knees out on all her jeans until a few years ago. She looks a good deal like me so I try to share my straight/fine hair secrets. She just rolls her eyes. My mom had natural curls that needed no help and gave me several Toni perms out of pity.

Needless to say, my mom was always on me to do less primping, and I am always on my daughter to brush her hair and teeth.

The central question of my post; do many of you find that you are opposite your mothers in the higher maintenence vs. au natural spectrum? What are your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 04:45 PM

430 posts, read 1,174,477 times
I look a lot like my MOm as I get older. I have 4 daughters and 3 sons. Two of my daughters are older and on their own. From little on mu oldest never liked dresses and all that. She still doesn't like all that. My next daughter loved all of that hair make up ect and still does. My Mother wasn't a real make up person and I like some but don't go wild. I dress more modern then she did. I think we stero tpye ourself and so does society. Some people think my oldest daughter is gay because she doesn't like the girly look and she isn't gay. I told her she is the kind of women she wants to be. Girls things are girls things as long as a girl uses them. I think we all turn into what makes us feel comfortable with ourself.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:06 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,890 times
My mom has never been into makeup and neither have I. But, she loves to wear dresses and heels. I can barely tolerate them. I dress up for weddings and funerals and on occasional nights out, but am sooo relieved to get back into jeans and a T-shirt the next day. My oldest is almost 3, so we'll see about her. However, anytime I put her in a dress or skirt, she claims she's a ballerina and twirls and twirls. I think I have a girly girl.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimberly View Post
I look a lot like my MOm as I get older. I have 4 daughters and 3 sons. Two of my daughters are older and on their own. From little on mu oldest never liked dresses and all that. She still doesn't like all that. My next daughter loved all of that hair make up ect and still does. My Mother wasn't a real make up person and I like some but don't go wild. I dress more modern then she did. I think we stero tpye ourself and so does society. Some people think my oldest daughter is gay because she doesn't like the y look and she isn't gay. I told her she is the kind of women she wants to be. s things are s things as long as a uses them. I think we all turn into what makes us feel comfortable with ourself.
Mimberly, I agree with your acceptance of your daughter and I use words like "girly" to be descriptive,not to discount the femininity of a young woman's look, whatever it may be. My 14 year old is teaching me so much. I was horrified to get a zit or have bad breath, my daughter says"my friends still love me!' and she is right. People love to be around her because she is accepting. Perhaps God had wisdom in the kind of daughters he sends us.
I have met several women whose mothers critiqued them, and it was damaging.

Last edited by fabumom07; 05-18-2008 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: parental control issues

Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,415 times
My mom was a very low maintenance person, she wore very little make up, and dressed casually, her one beauty ritual was perming her hair. I also wear very little make up. I don't perm, but I love my highlights. Neither of us ever cared much for fashion and shopping or other girly things, just our hair. I miss her

Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
On a recent post I described my mom as not being a makeup person,which I am. I also defended my fondness for make-up in another. My deleted post there was for going off topic, not being a meany. I am a strong, but nice woman ,thanks to my mother. Mom is very beautiful in a natural, unaffected way- but I look almost nothing like her(except from behind). I have been a y from as long as I can remember. My oldest daughter likes the fun and creative aspects of makeup, but eschews hairbrushing and general primping.She wore the knees out on all her jeans until a few years ago. She looks a good deal like me so I try to share my straight/fine hair secrets. She just rolls her eyes. My mom had natural curls that needed no help and gave me several Toni perms out of pity.

Needless to say, my mom was always on me to do less primping, and I am always on my daughter to brush her hair and teeth.

The central question of my post; do many of you find that you are opposite your mothers in the higher maintenence vs. au natural spectrum? What are your experiences?
I have a theory about this....
I think that we as human beings often will turn out opposite of how our parents were especially if it was something that deep down inside drove us nuts as kids. For example, my Mom was a clean freak, I mean CLEAN FREAK, I'm nowhere close, in fact, I keep my house very tidy and clean but not like that. I grew to resent it that she spent every waking hour cleaning LOL So, I don't.
My mother did however take care of herself and did her hair, nails, makeup etc.. and for that I loved her. She always looked good and smelled good. So, I'm the same way in that regard as is my daughter. We both are always aware of our appearance.
My son is the same way but in a guy way, not a girly way . He likes keeping his hair kept but he's also very "mr. cool". LOL
I don't know that things like that skip generations, I just think we embrace or rebel what we learned and saw as kids.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 AM

430 posts, read 1,174,477 times
This may be getting off of the subject but I think the last posting is right. I loved my Mom very much but she was to protective with me and my sister. I can remember and I was born in the 60's that if someone died we stayed in the car and never went into the funeral home. So I too have tried to build more independance in my kids. My Mom would just do stuff to get it done, not me I think kids are part of a family and it takes the whole family to work together. I also now that I have three on their own I let them make their own mistakes and that is hard but it has to be done. I'm sure my kids will take the best and worse of me and become the kind of parent they will be

Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
My mother was never a hair & make up person. While I do own a hairbrush I do not own make up. I think maybe 100 years ago when I was in high school I had some eye liner & lip gloss, and during the '80's I went through a green eye shadow phase. I have not owned or worn any make up since the mid '80's.

Now my HUSBAND can spend an hour primping to go eat out, but I can be out the door in 15 minutes.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 AM

Well see, Racelady, opposites attract.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,617,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
My mother was never a hair & make up person. While I do own a hairbrush I do not own make up. I think maybe 100 years ago when I was in high school I had some eye liner & lip gloss, and during the '80's I went through a green eye shadow phase. I have not owned or worn any make up since the mid '80's.

Now my HUSBAND can spend an hour primping to go eat out, but I can be out the door in 15 minutes.
wow, the cream green eye shadow, and sometimes blue. A blast from the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty