Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 11:00 AM

10,372 posts, read 1,072,835 times

Advertisements

I was wearing a "Game of Thrones" T-shirt and the young guy at the register in Stop & Shop said he really liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 12:35 PM

539 posts, read 245,689 times
i sure have and it was not a nice encounter some elderly lady said i was too young to be wearing such old lady clothes . I told her i would take her suggestion under advisement LOL .

Old 07-28-2021, 12:46 PM

89,161 posts, read 85,835,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
I was wearing a "Game of Thrones" T-shirt and the young guy at the register in Stop & Shop said he really liked it.
I was at a RE open house wearing my Crime Junkie T-shirt and someone saw it and said they listen to the podcast too.

Yesterday a young gut at the hospital where I took someone for an MRI said he liked my tattoo.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:31 PM

9,513 posts, read 6,192,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Lately, there's been this young guy (20's would be my guess) who has a compliment for me nearly every day when he comes in to work.

Often, it's a combination of my top and my hair, and how one complements the other.

I get compliments on my hair all the time.
I absolutely LOVE your hair, btw. You have the exact color I have coveted all my life & it's not something I can achieve on my "Greek hair", from a box.

I am complimented on my hair too but only because it's really long. Nobody would compliment my clothing & I don't blame them. I'm low-income & wear active wear (shorts & tank tops with sports bras) 99% of the time.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:48 PM

4,050 posts, read 2,743,013 times
Yes I do and I give compliments too. I am sincere when I do and I enjoy making people smile and feel good.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:32 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,404,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyob View Post
whether it be nice or nasty

a woman said she like my mums bag once on a bus.
Multiple times, and usually when I am wearing something I don't like...

Old 07-28-2021, 03:50 PM

4,279 posts, read 8,227,084 times
Almost every day I'm off work and leave the house. I usually have on a band tshirt or some type of sports thing and some cool sneakers and a hat. Drives my wife nuts, I have an Iron Maiden T-Shirt she hates, that everytime I wear it multiple people say something about it.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:12 PM

1,719 posts, read 747,497 times
Yes, from other women, especially when I wear something that looks exotic or is hand-woven, hand-embroidered, or vintage.

I like to compliment women if something they're wearing is especially pleasing to my eye, and they always appreciate it.

When I was younger, I received a few comments from men, but mostly on what I was buying, not wearing. Along the lines of "Did you find one firm enough?" while sorting through cucumbers or "Do you need help picking that out?" while looking at sanitary products.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:39 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,980,565 times
This happened to me yesterday. I was at a department store looking at Clarks Cloudsteppers sandals and a woman came up to me and said she loved my sandals (also, Cloudsteppers). Then asking me if they came in black and where she could get them, I directed her to the area where they were displayed. I thought it was a little weird because when I went to the cashier to pay for my new sandals, the same lady was paying for some blouses, no sandals. Maybe she was checking out my feet....lol.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:10 PM

22,931 posts, read 19,553,129 times
i work at a large medical center, so there are always a lot of patients, visitors, family, and staff walking the halls and walking between buildings and walking all over the campus. I definitely notice and appreciate a nice hat on men, and i always compliment men on this. it is genuine and sincere. people who are at the medical center are often old and worried and dealing with complex conditions, often in pain or decline, or using a walker or in a wheelchair. You can just see them light up when they are seen as something other than a patient, but rather someone with a flair for fashion, treated with joy and dignity and appreciation. i love the poster at work "I am a person. I am not my disease, i am not my illness, I am not my diagnosis."

i walk a fair amount at work on my job, and where i live the climate is sunny most of the year. So i wear a hat as a functional piece of attire, and i have my favorites in a hat with a brim for the sun and an adjustable cord under the chin so that it doesn't blow away in the wind ( i like functional). there is one hat i wear that i ALWAYS get tons of compliments on. every time i wear it. i bought it from one of the vendors at work, so i always tell people where i got it, and where to find the vendor. i like it so much i got it in three different colors: light tan, light khaki green, and a darker tan.

there is also a pair of shoes i have worn for years and regularly people compliment me on these shoes ($10 from Target, flowered vinyl and leather). oh, and i get lots of compliments on my knee high Doc Marten's boots. I LOVE those boots and others admire them regularly. Nothing quite like a really good pair of boots.

the other item i compliment people on at work, and it is usually older folks, is i really like and admire a fine wooden walking stick. There are some beautiful walking sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty