Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 10:33 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times

Advertisements

I used to have a sort of Victorian style ivory blouse with ruffles and eyelet and embroidery and pearls. Very soft, feminine, and romantic. Every time I wore it, somebody--an old lady, a friend, a small child--would tell me I looked beautiful. I called it my Beautiful Blouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 06:21 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Well, my SO often asks if "Are you really wearing that to go to dinner"?

Does that count?

Old 07-30-2021, 12:59 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyob View Post
Has a stranger ever commented about something you were wearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyob View Post
whether it be nice or nasty

I’ve had all nice things said...from men AND women. Tho I’ve noticed that men will compliment more on my gowns or dresses in more formal settings...AND women give more compliments on my shoulder bags or shoes edit: in more casual settings.

Have you had somebody say something nasty about your clothes to your face from a stranger? I can’t imagine that happening...except with kids to other kids ofc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Well, my SO often asks if "Are you really wearing that to go to dinner"?

Does that count?

No it doesn’t.....the O.P. said stranger.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 07-30-2021 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 06:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I have several cute and/or funny shirts that I get comments on all the time.
I have one that it's funny to see the expression of people's faces when they see what it says.
It's set up kind of like an eye chart and says
HOWTOKEEPANIDIOTBUSY
I think some are afraid to answer. lol

Old 07-30-2021, 06:40 PM

118 posts, read 69,175 times
I have received compliments and I give compliments.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Yes, this happens to me alot. I make it a point to pay it forward and (sincerely) compliment others also, because it's such a nice feeling
I am almost 70 and I frequently get compliments on my clothing. I wear two types of outfits. The first is classic, often with a touch of glitz. Today I wore a nice, white cotton top, scoop necked with dozens of small, diamond-like rhinestones around the neckline. I wore it with a black skirt and white ballet type flats, with strips of similar rhinestones. Four different women complimented me on my outfit. The interesting thing is that I rarely wear that top and those shoes (in part to keep them sparkling white), and they are both almost ten years old.

The second type of outfit that I wear is an interesting t-shirt with black or blue dress pants or a summer skirt. Some of my shirts are University shirts and others have cute sayings or are from a place where I vacationed. Earlier this week I wore a shirt that had the face of a sloth wearing an exercise sweat band and huge letters "SLOTH RACING TEAM CHAMPION" and smaller letters "we'll get there, when we get there". It is funny because I am overweight and clearly not a racing champion. Two different people complimented me on that shirt.

I believe that one of the reasons that I get so many compliments is that I believe that I radiate friendliness and confidence. Even when I was in poor health and using a walker or when I was bald from chemotherapy I still received a surprising amount of compliments.

I also like to pay it forward and give genuine compliments to both friends and strangers.

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-30-2021 at 07:37 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 07:28 PM

2,977 posts, read 1,647,168 times
I wear my mother's wedding ring, she designed it herself and it's quite elegant. Diamonds and platinum. It gets a lot of comment, mainly from women.

My mother also gave me her mother's wedding ring, it's a diamond in a vintage gold setting. Very pretty.

Both rings receive lots of comment, usually from ladies, young and old, checking my groceries at the super market.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:26 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am almost 70 and I frequently get compliments on my clothing. I wear two types of outfits. The first is classic, often with a touch of glitz. Today I wore a nice, white cotton top, scoop necked with dozens of small, diamond-like rhinestones around the neckline. I wore it with a black skirt and white ballet type flats, with strips of similar rhinestones. Four different women complimented me on my outfit. The interesting thing is that I rarely wear that top and those shoes (in part to keep them sparkling white), and they are both almost ten years old.

The second type of outfit that I wear is an interesting t-shirt with black or blue dress pants or a summer skirt. Some of my shirts are University shirts and others have cute sayings or are from a place where I vacationed. Earlier this week I wore a shirt that had the face of a sloth wearing an exercise sweat band and huge letters "SLOTH RACING TEAM CHAMPION" and smaller letters "we'll get there, when we get there". It is funny because I am overweight and clearly not a racing champion. Two different people complimented me on that shirt.

I believe that one of the reasons that I get so many compliments is that I believe that I radiate friendliness and confidence. Even when I was in poor health and using a walker or when I was bald from chemotherapy I still received a surprising amount of compliments.

I also like to pay it forward and give genuine compliments to both friends and strangers.
Oh I love this! From your posts I think I can tell the type of person you are. There are people we come in contact with who just have an openness about them and they tend to have positive interactions with strangers (I think I'm like that.)

Then there are some who just have a closed off look even if they're truly not unfriendly people (my hubby has that look) It's just a certain countenance that doesn't lend itself to friendliness - kind of like one of those "resting" faces

Old 08-02-2021, 11:03 AM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Yes.

I've been complemented on my boots several times. I have multiple pairs of custom made to order boots in various leathers.

I've been complemented on my "out of shape middle aged man" types of summer shirts that I wear (Tommy Bahama), oddly enough, by some younger people.

I've been complemented on an outfit that I was wearing. Cuffed raw selvedge jeans, handmade boots, button up shirt, and a leather satchel.

I've been complemented on my style of jewelry I wear. I've have several custom pieces from a small company called Steel Flame.

All this and I'm a fat , not particularly attractive guy.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:27 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
For the most part no. In casual situations, I tend to dress down. When going to concerts, I’ll wear band shirts, so I do get my fair share of comments in those situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty