Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 07:54 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Perhaps 50 years ago, we didn't hold people to such a high standard of perfection. Why do teeth need to be whitened, lips thicker, etc. I don't recall people ever being concerned about such things years ago. Does technology create a need that didn't exist year ago?

Why not? My friend had lasik surgery years ago and now has permanent dry eyes but hey he's looking good or so he thinks. He looked fine before.
Interesting point! It’s true technology profits hugely from people’s vanity. I’d blame advertising and models who have been airbrushed, it’s changed the way we think about beauty. Technology is just making money from what a lot of us want or think we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 08:05 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I’d blame advertising and models who have been airbrushed, it’s changed the way we think about beauty.

It’s how ppl talk about airbrushing like it’s a magic potion that can take somebody from ugly to beautiful. All it does is brush out little imperfections. BUT IMO the thread isn’t about perfect ppl...because ofc nobody is. It’s about “good looking” people.^^

Old 07-15-2021, 08:21 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Pure luck and it’s rare. Next time you are in public, look around. The overwhelming majority of people are ugly to plain to mildly pleasant. True good looking people are super infrequent. Like 1 in a 100 or so. Part of the problem is obesity. Everyone in this country is fat so even those who could be good looking lose their edge and fall into the disrepair of plainness.
Not everyone in this country is fat; but more than 50% for sure. And I agree with you that the obesity makes people look much less attractive.

I've observed and noticed a few obese people who have nice face with beautiful skin complexion. I imagined if those people were not so overweight, they would look very beautiful.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:36 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I've read that too, but think of all the actors/models with uneven features. Like a crooked smile that is actually really attractive, or those who have differently-shaped eyebrows yet are very attractive.

And it can be really off-putting to make a mirror-image of one's face so that both sides are identical. Kind of creepy.

I agree that really attractive people are rare. On the rare occasion I might meet one, their beauty is distracting and that's where my attention goes. I might miss other things about them.

Six-packs are rare in real life. I live on the beach and have never seen one in person, only in pictures, lol.

I hear you but looks are not qualifications for acting. In fact, it's ideal that the actor does not call attention to themselves physically so audiences can relate to the character. Thank goodness, because stage and screen would suffer tremendously without every-day people.

Modeling is all about how well bone structure shows up on camera. There are a lot of beautiful people who are not models, and most models are pretty plain without all of their make-up and styling. Most are lanky and look emaciated and sickly in person as the camera adds about 15 pounds and a lot of models have eating disorders.

It's interesting, because two people can look very much alike but one person looks great on camera and another looks not only terrible, but not like their "real life" selves. I often hear that Gretchen Mol is my doppelganger, but when I look at her in pictures and on TV, I can only think, "I wish!"

Old 07-16-2021, 10:15 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Studies have concluded it's all about symmetry.
I saw a special on this once. They had a sort of template that demonstrated this. It was interesting.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:52 AM

7,917 posts, read 3,458,721 times
It's because I'm symmetrical. And tall. Tall always helps.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:53 PM

39 posts, read 16,395 times
It is ALL in the genes. Some folks are just lucky to be born with great ones and, they tend to procreate with other very attractive people so, attractive little ones. There are things people can do to be more attractive or maintain their looks longer but, if you were not very handsome/ beautiful as a child, you likely never will be. There is always the exception, the ordinary looking family with the one very handsome/ beautiful child but, that individual still carries their parents genes so, they are not necessarily destined to have attractive kids themselves. It all comes down to luck. The great equalizer is age. No matter how great you look throughout your life, if you make it into your 80s and beyond, you will look like your peers (Jane Fonda being the exception LOL).

Old 07-16-2021, 02:40 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Required View Post
There are things people can do to be more attractive or maintain their looks longer but, if you were not very handsome/ beautiful as a child, you likely never will be.

I totally don’t agree.^^ It takes until our teens or after to grow into our looks & our bodies...it’s when we start caring about how we look too. AND not many ppl think of little girls as beautiful except ppl like JonBenet’s family who use adult makeup on “babies”. That’s just wrong IMO. All kids are super cute with their little lost tooth smiles.^^

Old 07-16-2021, 06:01 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordinko2938 View Post
Is it just pure luck to have good looks?
The Israelis are blessed.

Old 07-18-2021, 01:53 PM

118 posts, read 69,092 times
Symmetry "The Golden Ratio". If you google it and look at images you will see what is considered Beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty