Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 1,131 times

Advertisements

stay young at the age of 50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 03:32 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,567,193 times
I don't take care of myself to be attractive, as that implies that I do it to impress others. I take care of myself first to be healthy, then to like how I look and how my clothes fit. It is a form of self-care, along with things like meditation, staying well-read and well-rounded, and working on my inner self.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:45 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,673,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
For those in their 50s do you still try? I'm in my 50s and, have a 37 year old husband and still try.
I am 59 and I still try. I use good skincare, sunscreen, and, when outdoors without a mask, makeup. And I avoid polyester, poodle perms and blue rinses.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:06 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,673,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A slight digression: I wear glasses for driving and reading (two different prescriptions, obviously: distance and close-up). I LOVE to experiment with glasses styles! Some actually look attractive. You have to find what works for you. OK, not YOU, personally, Kath, but the general "you". Anyway, having to wear glasses isn't a sentence condemning one to dorkiness for life. Glasses can be cool. Cool glasses can be part of the "trying" thing. Just saying.
Yep. The days of ugly glasses are long gone.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:24 PM

4,052 posts, read 2,752,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Youre my new best friend.
I am always happy to have another cool friend!

Old 05-27-2021, 07:42 PM

3,400 posts, read 2,060,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, at 71 I guess I am older than everyone else here. I do still care about how I "present myself." I keep my weight down (5'8", 138 lbs), take long walks, ride bike and light workouts at the gym; along with my weekly belly dance class. It gets more difficult every year as I acquire new aches and pains with arthritis and other issues. For me, comfort is key; but I try to balance that with attractive clothes/shoes that are also comfortable. I don't wear a lot of makeup anymore, I keep it minimal, and let my hair go silver several years ago, but I like the shade and it is shiny so for me it is fine. I don't turn heads like I once did, but my husband loves me and thinks I am beautiful so that's fine for me.
This is a beautiful post

As new aches and pains come along I try to concentrate on my posture, keeping my head up and shoulders back and not "caving" in to the pain. It's tough sometimes but it's worth it.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:37 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,542,453 times
Quote:
For those in their 50s do you still try? I'm in my 50s and, have a 37 year old husband and still try.
Good on 'ya, my dear! And personal grooming and always trying to look one's 'best', never become 'obsolete' at any age. In fact nowadays it seems like a lotta folks actually use their 'age' as a sorta 'excuse' for neglecting their appearance, which also sends the implicit 'message' that they no longer consider themselves to be attractive enuff to even make the effort. Although among women, they'll often be the same ones who also blame it on some sorta 'competition' with younger women!

Old 05-29-2021, 11:08 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,097,846 times
I'm much older than 50's and have been told I look a lot younger than my actual age. I'm not in a relationship; I work on my fitness level and maintain my weight FOR ME, as the previous poster noted. I don't do it for a man. I think maintaining one's weight is the single most important thing to do for oneself as one gets older. Not just to look younger but for one's health. I feel bloated and disgusting when I gain weight. Clothes feel tight and I tend to wear baggier clothes, which translates into looking more matronly...

I color my hair, not to look younger but to maintain the manageability of the hair (colored hair is smoother and less frizzy than gray hair).

I try to wear youthful styles but not ultra young/trendy stuff. I'll wear skinny jeans and denim shorts and maybe a tie-dyed T-shirt here and there but I don't try to run around in spaghetti strap camisoles with hot pants and tattoos all over me. I don't do the dark blue toenail polish with the ankle chain and thongs. There's a point where I'm happy to be myself and not feel that I have to follow trends just to look younger.

Old 05-30-2021, 06:00 PM

19,627 posts, read 15,497,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Haha. That's funny.

My grandmother was really vain. She was not the smartest bulb in the pack...grew up in rural Kentucky. But she had gorgeous auburn hair and green eyes. (Sad none of us got them). So her looks were her thing. She began dying her hair red probably in her late 40's...maybe 50's. Sometimes it would be Ronald McDonald orange it was teased up 4-6 inches at it's peak in the 70's. Think big, Texas hair. She wasn't very social. Went downtown to have her hair done every single week until she fell around 86 and couldn't anymore. She put her makeup on every single day. Miss her so much.
When I was in high school, I would clean the home of a friend of my parents for spending money. I think she must have been in her 70s. She still colored her hair this bright red shade. I loved it. She was one of those people who was outgoing, energetic, and who would always have your back if you needed anything. Very community-oriented. I think I learned a lot about what type of person to be just by being around her and observing her. I think about her often and with admiration.

Old 05-30-2021, 06:11 PM

1,909 posts, read 1,165,356 times
Quote:
I'm almost 50 and yes, I try a lot harder than I did when I was younger, mostly by working out a lot more. (I'm a guy.) Today I worked out for 2 hours total. I think that I'm a lot better looking now than I was when I was much younger because I'm in much better shape: stronger and thinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty