Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 02:52 PM

496 posts, read 447,554 times

Advertisements

I always wear a white t-shirt under my button up or flannel shirts, as well as polo shirts. Sometimes I also do it under some of my nicer T-shirts. Occasionally I'll wear a colored T-shirt such as green, blue, or black instead of white.

Mostly I do this because it lets me get two or three wearings out of my outer shirts before washing, so they last much longer than if I washed them after every wearing.

I've also always liked the kind of casual look of having a white T-shirt peeking out. I've always favored the preppy look and this to me looks kind of sporty and preppy. Some might call it trashy, but I don't care.

At times I've worn the ribbed A-shirt style tank undershirts, but I've found they are less comfortable than the regular crew necks. They feel hotter and itchier, to me. Plus they don't provide underarm sweat protection.

Lately I've noticed (maybe in the past 10 years) people don't seem to do this as much anymore. Not sure if they are wearing V-neck undershirts or something but the t-shirt showing seems to be less common.

Also most of my friends have stopped wearing undershirts even though they used to seem to do so religiously in their teens and twenties. Is it because we've gotten older or was it a trend that died? Do you wear undershirts with your clothes, and which ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 05:10 PM

36 posts, read 34,699 times
Don’t be an old man, micro fiber polos are cheap and look nice. Professional button down long sleeve shirts always ware non v neck tee shirt.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:28 PM

24,769 posts, read 11,091,125 times
SO wears paperthin wide shoulder sleeveless extra long in black under dark shirts and nude under light colored shirts. Who wants to see your unders?
Sorry, shirts get one wearing so do pants.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:46 PM

3,302 posts, read 1,778,905 times
For a plaid flannel or a solid chamois shirt I'll wear a t-shirt of the same color, same for a polo. Summers I like a print or a Hawaiian shirt but with a color from the pattern (not the main color) as an accent. That's about it. Anything V neck, no undershirt.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:42 PM

15,608 posts, read 15,731,295 times
Should we assume you're a man?

Undershirt wear started to plummet due to Clark Gable, in the mid-1930s, but there's nothing wrong with them, both for warmth, and, as you say, to let you wear the same shirt repeatedly.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:18 AM

19,765 posts, read 20,330,715 times
I'm a fan of undershirts, for men ((or the women's variety))

It's a clean look, provides structure, and it makes certain colors in the fabric pop.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,384,047 times
Well, skinny neurasthenic types that are always shivering and cold may wish to wear undershirts; but those of us with abundant vital force find them too hot, especially if wearing a dress shirt, tie, and coat. You might think northern climates are the place for undershirts, except that people in those climates (at least in the US) keep their buildings so overheated that you'll not need any additional warmth. Heck, in New England in January I often feel like I need to be wearing shorts and a tank top in the office.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:09 AM

3,385 posts, read 1,993,226 times
A well dressed man always wears a full undershirt under a dress shirt. For casual wear, especially in FL, a loose fitting cotton shirt is fine without an undershirt. I've never liked a peek-a-poo undershirt under a casual shirt but if it's worn under a clingy casual shirt and keeps the public from viewing a man's nipple outline, then I'm all for it.

Cuomo did a briefing wearing a light weight white shirt without an undershirt and it wasn't a good look.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:39 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,384,047 times
Well, since all my dress shirts are quality Oxford cloth button downs, the see through effect doesn't happen.

My preppy style was set at age 12 or so and I haven't found a need to deviate from it yet. Never in style, never out of style. Those at the cutting edge of fashion can laugh at it if they want.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:51 AM

3,385 posts, read 1,993,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, since all my dress shirts are quality Oxford cloth button downs, the see through effect doesn't happen.

My preppy style was set at age 12 or so and I haven't found a need to deviate from it yet. Never in style, never out of style. Those at the cutting edge of fashion can laugh at it if they want.
My husband's shirts are top quality 100% cotton and not see through at all. There is a difference in the way the fabric lays if there is cloth underneath. When skin touches the shirt fabric without a barrier, natural oils and light perspiration make a difference. It might be subtle, but it's noticeable to some.

The only thing that matters is how you feel. The OP asked for opinions. I have some strong opinions on fashion. One of my many careers, and definitely the most enjoyable one, was as a personal shopper at Nordstrom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty