Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 03:01 PM

19,971 posts, read 12,500,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I find, that for me, I seem to go back and forth. In the summer I tend to go with the "less is more" outlook...which basically means I use a tinted primer for foundation.

In the colder weather, I seem to prefer a more mat look...fills in my pores, evens out my skin tone...stuff like that. BUT either way, I still do everything else...my eyes, blush, my lips. I guess I like my makeup. LOL
I use all that too but was surprised how many different products are used and layered these days. A lot of people do their makeup like the tutorials. It sells a lot of cosmetics.

I do my makeup similar to how I always did since I was a teen which is pretty basic. Because of that I thought I must be doing it wrong now that I'm a lot older and my face is so different. I guess if it isn't broken no need to fix it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 03:22 PM

5,848 posts, read 3,365,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I use all that too but was surprised how many different products are used and layered these days. A lot of people do their makeup like the tutorials. It sells a lot of cosmetics.

I do my makeup similar to how I always did since I was a teen which is pretty basic. Because of that I thought I must be doing it wrong now that I'm a lot older and my face is so different. I guess if it isn't broken no need to fix it...
Same here. But I honestly think I look better the way I do it. Others might disagree...but I've been at it many years now, and I'm happy with my routine.

Still...it could be fun to have a makeover. I'd give it a shot.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Same here. But I honestly think I look better the way I do it. Others might disagree...but I've been at it many years now, and I'm happy with my routine.

Still...it could be fun to have a makeover. I'd give it a shot.
It's a lot of fun, it was like watching an artist at work. But, didn't work out for me. I'm glad I know I'm not doing anything wrong and my simple approach is what works best.

One thing is I cannot use any shade of brown in shadow or liner and it's all browns now. Brown makes me look ill. Blacks are even worse. I always used muted shades of blue/green or purple/gray and they didn't make me look sick, but hard to find in stores now.

I saw something funny- young women are giving themselves bags under their eyes using makeup. It's a tik tok trend or something. lol.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:32 PM

782 posts, read 510,393 times
I’m 61 and I just use blush and lipstick. Never used eye make-up; my eyes are big enough on their own, lol!

Old 04-07-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
I’m 61 and I just use blush and lipstick. Never used eye make-up; my eyes are big enough on their own, lol!
You lucky dog.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:26 PM

20,711 posts, read 16,599,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's a lot of fun, it was like watching an artist at work. But, didn't work out for me. I'm glad I know I'm not doing anything wrong and my simple approach is what works best.

One thing is I cannot use any shade of brown in shadow or liner and it's all browns now. Brown makes me look ill. Blacks are even worse. I always used muted shades of blue/green or purple/gray and they didn't make me look sick, but hard to find in stores now.

I saw something funny- young women are giving themselves bags under their eyes using makeup. It's a tik tok trend or something. lol.
Ha - just like 25 year-olds dying their hair gray! As soon as they get a few of their own I'll bet they try a different color.

It's like as long as it's obvious it can't be their own (eye bags or gray hair) it looks cool, but if it's otherwise "natural", not so much!

Anyway - in terms of eye shadow for you, how about plums?

Old 04-07-2022, 09:46 PM

37,217 posts, read 42,521,325 times
One of the joys of getting older for me is not caring as much as I used to. Was a time I wouldn't go out without a full face of makeup but these days I do it all the time. It takes me about 5 minutes to do my makeup when I do wear it though (foundation, blush, powder, eyeliner, eye shadow and lipstick) and honestly I'm don't see that much of a difference. I guess that's another joy of getting older, I can't see as well

Old 04-08-2022, 01:29 AM

18,729 posts, read 19,052,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
A couple two or three months ago, I saw a picture of myself with NO makeup on, and I was surprised how good my skin looked in the photo. I have a nice pinkish complexion, and it made me think "Hmmm...maybe I could get by with a more minimal look."

So then, in my Ipsy bag, I received a tube of tinted primer, and I was using that as foundation, mostly...except maybe putting some regular foundation on my nose...as the pores on my nose are pretty prominent.

And then, today, I found some B B crème that I forgot I had, and applied THAT instead of foundation, and was quite happy with the results. I still do the blush and the lips and sometimes the eyes (If I feel like it) but it seems like, as I've gotten older, "less is more".

So...anyone who does the whole makeup thing...have you noticed, as you've gotten older, a lighter touch looks better?
OH yes definitely..the makeup I used 20 or 30 years ago would make me like a clown and scary...some tinted moisturiser some brownish liner and brown mascara..is much better now..

Old 04-08-2022, 06:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,784,337 times
Every day I use:

BB cream
Dual finish powder in my T zone
Cream blush
A bit of brow stuff (not much)
Mascara
Lipgloss or lipstick depending on what I'm doing

Old 04-08-2022, 08:22 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,467,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
A couple two or three months ago, I saw a picture of myself with NO makeup on, and I was surprised how good my skin looked in the photo. I have a nice pinkish complexion, and it made me think "Hmmm...maybe I could get by with a more minimal look."

So then, in my Ipsy bag, I received a tube of tinted primer, and I was using that as foundation, mostly...except maybe putting some regular foundation on my nose...as the pores on my nose are pretty prominent.

And then, today, I found some B B crème that I forgot I had, and applied THAT instead of foundation, and was quite happy with the results. I still do the blush and the lips and sometimes the eyes (If I feel like it) but it seems like, as I've gotten older, "less is more".

So...anyone who does the whole makeup thing...have you noticed, as you've gotten older, a lighter touch looks better?
Absolutely.

What I'm looking for now is an all-over matte color stick for eyes, lips, cheeks. They used to sell 'em, hard to find now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty