Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 06:27 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,142,130 times

Advertisements

I actually try to find ones with the palest and least flashy fabrics myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 03:07 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,603,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I actually try to find ones with the palest and least flashy fabrics myself.

I'm a plain jane when it comes to masks! I don't use fabric masks because I don't want to have to wash them. I use the disposable masks once & throw it in the garbage when I get home..........BUT I do see a lot of fabric masks that are splashy. Some of them are super creative & cute......BUT.....it's not worth it to wear IMO.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:43 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,705,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I'm a plain jane when it comes to masks! I don't use fabric masks because I don't want to have to wash them. I use the disposable masks once & throw it in the garbage when I get home..........BUT I do see a lot of fabric masks that are splashy. Some of them are super creative & cute......BUT.....it's not worth it to wear IMO.
Why is it not worth it to wear? It takes me about an hour to make one, so right now I have 5 plus red respirator I hand wash in hot water with filters. I may make a couple more because they are all the cool shades. It is easy to stick it in a lingerie bag and throw it in the washing machine.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:59 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,603,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Why is it not worth it to wear? It takes me about an hour to make one, so right now I have 5 plus red respirator I hand wash in hot water with filters. I may make a couple more because they are all the cool shades. It is easy to stick it in a lingerie bag and throw it in the washing machine.

Just because I would rather not have to wash masks & I have to wear disposable respirator or surgical masks when I go back to work anyways but they will supply whatever we use. At home we just have a couple boxes of the surgical type of disposable masks for both of us that are easier to find now. It's so much easier & cleaner IMO to throw them out after one use instead of washing them & cloth coverings came about because people were unable to find procedure masks for awhile & N95 & N99 masks are still reserved for medical & frontline personnel. Most people aren't washing them well or often enough IMO....I don't mean you tho.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:11 PM

8,800 posts, read 5,099,422 times
Why have mask too make a fashion statement.....they should all be plain. Not fun times.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:53 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,481,202 times
For me it wasn't about fun, it's about using what's available to you if you make your own mask. I did buy more material this past weekend, but, I primarily bought it to make a couple of dresses and use the leftover material to make mask. Having said that, why do people care what people choose for mask, as long as they wear them and it encourages more people to continue wearing them, that's what should matter. If it makes people happy to create designs good, they are finding ways not to be miserable souls in these difficult times. Don't want to partake in the variety of mask offered out there, don't, do what works for you, promise I won't fault those with no desire to find a way make lemonade out of lemons. Stick to what works for you and MYOB and stop trying to find fault with other people choices that don't have bearing on you.

So many sour puses in the world. If the shoe doesn't fit, no biggy right at least some have made custom made fitting face mask.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,920,170 times
I've been having some fun with making masks. I embroidered a cat's nose and whiskers onto a mask for a young relative, and we've been making mask charms to attach to the sides of the mask for my daughter who can't wear her usual magnetic earrings with the mask. I usually sew a lot of costumes and accessories for my kids for various events. No events this year, so my lovely stash of costume-making supplies is being slowly repurposed.

I've also been making masks to give away to neighbors and to my husband's coworkers, and keeping a few stashed in my purse to offer to people I see who are using a bulky scarf, a grubby looking sock, or some other substitute mask that doesn't seem comfortable.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:22 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,310,902 times
I've always loved splashy fabric. I had some cool pieces left from my quilting infatuation and I bought a few more pieces. I've mainly made them for my family and they've had a few friends request them too. It's a conversation piece and a little bit of cheerfulness in a time when it's been hard to come by. My husband is required to wear a mask at work. The kids will need them when they go back to school. Might as well have some fun with it.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:48 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,481,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Why have mask too make a fashion statement.....they should all be plain. Not fun times.
Sorry you are so unhappy, you had to follow me to another thread just so you can find a way to negatively rep me from that thread. My advice is much more appropriate for you and stop following me looking for a ways to insult me personally. But if you need help, I do private counseling. I would have repped you back, but the button is a bit fickle. Do try to find your joy then again, maybe trolling people is how you are finding happiness in your day and if that's the case, as you were, I can take it. Bless you.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:48 PM

8,800 posts, read 5,099,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Sorry you are so unhappy, you had to follow me to another thread just so you can find a way to negatively rep me from that thread. My advice is much more appropriate for you and stop following me looking for a ways to insult me personally. But if you need help, I do private counseling. I would have repped you back, but the button is a bit fickle. Do try to find your joy then again, maybe trolling people is how you are finding happiness in your day and if that's the case, as you were, I can take it. Bless you.
Don`t flatter yourself, old timer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty