Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2020, 07:36 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,262,356 times

Advertisements

People who are in the know will notice a nice watch. They are familiar with several of the top brands for luxury and ultra luxury and will have an understanding of relative value. For most people though, they only know one luxury brand, and that's Rolex, so if it's not a Rolex, your watch is unlikely to be noticed or cared about at all. IWC for example is a pretty obscure brand to the general public, as is Oris, Ball, Patek, Audemars, Panerai (though this one did become a lot more well known in the 90's/00's with a lot of action stars wearing their watches),etc.

About the only luxury brands that are well known or fairly well known is Rolex, Omega, Breitling, or TAG.

As far as impressions go, I live in a wealthy area so if I see an expensive watch it's most likely real, not fake. Besides, because of the lack of knowledge most people have about watches, the watch that is replicated the most by far is Rolex. Personally, I'm a fan of Omega, I have a Seamaster from 1997 that was the "James Bond" watch worn by Pierce Brosnan. This is my "nice" watch that rarely gets worn. My daily is also an Omega, the actual James Bond edition of the Planet Ocean from the movie Skyfall. I love that one, and even though it's by far the most expensive, I wear it every day. It's a rugged watch and it's been scuba diving with me, skydiving, vacations, you name it. It's got some scratches on the bezel now and the clasp is pretty worn, but if I ever needed to bring it back to like new condition, it can be done. I've got a Breitling and a few others as well.

Most people don't notice them, but that's not why I wear them. I wear them because I like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 07:38 AM

687 posts, read 317,549 times
It's about class, and if everybody notices it, it doesn't have any.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
I like watches and I like to see a man wearing a nice watch. By "nice," I mean one that looks nice to me, because I sure as heck don't pay any attention to the brand of a watch anyone is wearing.

My dad bought a Rolex in the 1960s and wore it almost every day, and it always looked great, but it didn't look great because it was a Rolex in my opinion - it looked great because it was substantial without being flashy, and I've seen other brands of watches that look like that too.

But I do pay attention to the brand of watch I'M wearing, to a degree. That being said, I'm not going to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a watch, because for one thing, I like to switch my watches up depending on what I'm wearing, and for another thing, I don't want to get robbed. LOL

I don't personally want that much responsibility.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:03 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,607,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Do you tend to notice when a man is wearing an expensive "luxury" watch that costs thousands rather than hundreds? If so, does it lead you to formulate an impression of that person?

I'm especially interested in opinions on more subdued designs and normal-sized watches rather than large gaudy watches that are designed to attract attention.

(I have my eye on a watch that I find beautiful and would be proud to own, wear, and pass to my son some day, but do not want to draw attention to.)

I don't notice a man's watch....that's kinda superficial to think people would care or look at your watch IMO....because we can't even really see it when a man's sleeve is partially covering it anyways. I didn't even know my fiance had a couple of expensive watches until months after knowing him........

Old 02-07-2020, 08:16 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,032,722 times
I would not notice and if it is big and flashy, I may look at it, see the brand name on it and maybe give you a compliment. Or not.

Either way, it would not impress me to the point that I like you better. I may even think "what a waste of money."

Old 02-07-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would not notice and if it is big and flashy, I may look at it, see the brand name on it and maybe give you a compliment. Or not.

Either way, it would not impress me to the point that I like you better. I may even think "what a waste of money."

I would never give a man I didn't know a compliment on his watch.....EVER. If they have sleeves I can't even see his watch or I would have to strain my neck to try & see it....................

Old 02-07-2020, 08:46 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,363,871 times
I rarely notice what watch someone is wearing unless it's another silly Apple Watch.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:29 AM

1,462 posts, read 978,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Personally, I'm a fan of Omega, I have a Seamaster from 1997 that was the "James Bond" watch worn by Pierce Brosnan. This is my "nice" watch that rarely gets worn. My daily is also an Omega, the actual James Bond edition of the Planet Ocean from the movie Skyfall. I love that one, and even though it's by far the most expensive, I wear it every day. It's a rugged watch and it's been scuba diving with me, skydiving, vacations, you name it. It's got some scratches on the bezel now and the clasp is pretty worn, but if I ever needed to bring it back to like new condition, it can be done.
I have the same Omega Seamaster that I bought in 97 as well. I bought the automatic version and used it all the time. Used it scuba diving, hiking and skiing. It's a tool watch that is meant to be worn. I like to switch it up at times and bought genuine Omega blue leather strap that I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I would never give a man I didn't know a compliment on his watch.....EVER. If they have sleeves I can't even see his watch or I would have to strain my neck to try & see it....................
I am the same way. I like all types of watches and look at men's wrist to see what kind of watch they are wearing. I don't care if it's a G-Shock or a Richard Mille. I would never tell them nice watch as I would want the same from others.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
I am the same way. I like all types of watches and look at men's wrist to see what kind of watch they are wearing. I don't care if it's a G-Shock or a Richard Mille. I would never tell them nice watch as I would want the same from others.

I'm not the same way........I don't look.......& don't know men's watches anyways. How can you even see if he has sleeves on tho? He has his watches.......I have my engagement ring & jewelry......I don't really think anything of it.....A N D I wouldn't look at a man's wrist to see what he is wearing.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:44 AM

1,462 posts, read 978,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I'm not the same way........I don't look.......& don't know men's watches anyways. How can you even see if he has sleeves on tho? He has his watches.......I have my engagement ring & jewelry......I don't really think anything of it.....A N D I wouldn't look at a man's wrist to see what he is wearing.
I'm the same way in what you stated originally, in that I won't mention anything to a person when I notice a watch that I think looks nice to them.

You can see a watch as someone moves their hands. I travel a bit so when someone is seated in a seat the cuffs move up and you can see more of the wrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty