Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 08:52 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,597,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I haven't had an iron or ironing board in 20 years. I did use it a few times prior to that to do iron-on transfers for on t-shirts for my kids, and occasionally iron some $$ so it would go into the BART machines before credit cards were accepted, but that's it.
I've not used one since I moved in this house and that's been ten years. I"m so glad I'm not the only one!

First, I discovered the 'dewrinkle" setting on the dryer and that worked wonders for wrinkly jeans; pretty much anything.

Then, my company went completely to 'business casual" and now it's jeans every day. So I just do not iron.

If I want to freshen up a shirt - I'll put in in the dryer the night before with a damp washcloth on the 'dewrinkle' setting.

I also have a steam iron for the MOST dire of circumstances.

I'm in the process of downsizing and I don't think I will be taking the ironing board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 08:16 PM

61,995 posts, read 87,653,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
That is if you think God is a woman. I am 99% sure the tapered side was designed for women's clothes in mind. It is all but useless for men's casual button-down shirts and dress shirts.
I don't know why is that a problem at all. It is all about which side you use. For man's button-down shirt the tapered end should be on the right, and most ironing should be done on the other, square end.
Other users can just turn the ironing board around.
Also, when you use the squared end - fewer things fall off the board as you are ironing. (you just have to be a little more careful when putting down your iron on the smaller, tapered end.)

I do iron a lot because I wear natural fabrics that get wrinkled. I also will iron table cloth and curtains after they have been washed. Nothing looks worse than a piece of garment worn right out the dryer. Well, except one wears synthetic stuff but even polyester gets wrinkled!)
Ironed clothes always look nicer than wrinkled and de-wrinkling it is not giving the impression of clothes being actually ironed. They are still a bit wrinkled and I can see it.

I seldom use the tapered end of an ironing board because I have other more useful ironing tools like a sleeve board and tailor's ham to help the job get done faster and better.

Just in case you don't know what I am talking about:

So, hope you will use my tip and just turn your board around

Old 01-12-2020, 09:45 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,846,436 times
I haven't used an ironing board since high school. Haven't actively ironed in near as long. Since living on my own, I'd use the bed. For the longest, I just wear the wrinkles out.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:25 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,148,380 times
I only use a ham when I'm sewing and need to flatten out a tight seam or such. Way too cumbersome for regular ironing for me.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:28 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,505,757 times
Tapered.

Love ironing.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:38 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,588,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't know why is that a problem at all. It is all about which side you use. For man's button-down shirt the tapered end should be on the right, and most ironing should be done on the other, square end.
Also, when you use the squared end - fewer things fall off the board as you are ironing. (you just have to be a little more careful when putting down your iron on the smaller, tapered end.)

I do iron a lot because I wear natural fabrics that get wrinkled. I also will iron table cloth and curtains after they have been washed. Nothing looks worse than a piece of garment worn right out the dryer. Well, except one wears synthetic stuff but even polyester gets wrinkled!)
Ironed clothes always look nicer than wrinkled and de-wrinkling it is not giving the impression of clothes being actually ironed. They are still a bit wrinkled and I can see it.

I seldom use the tapered end of an ironing board because I have other more useful ironing tools like a sleeve board and tailor's ham to help the job get done faster and better.

I'm ok with ironing, but that video is nuts.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:49 AM

429 posts, read 286,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I use the top of the board. It seems to work best. No annoying bumps or screws.
I agree, but this is my second choice. My first choice the side from which I can watch someone else do the ironing. Actually I can't remember the last time I bought a shirt that was more than a slight percentage of cotton because I don't want to iron it and I don't want to have to buy shrink-to-fit.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:47 AM

42,007 posts, read 75,401,765 times
Actually, I iron curtains more often than I iron my clothes. The clothes come out of the dryer reasonably respectable looking, and they're rumpled by the time I get to the office anyway. But curtains ... ugh. They must be pressed after washing and drying.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:50 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,877,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

And following this video you could get a T-shirt done in about 45 minutes.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:51 PM

24,146 posts, read 32,616,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, which side of the ironing board do you prefer to use - the tapered side or the square side?

I much prefer to iron my button-down shirts on the square side myself; it seems so much easier and faster. I hate those ironing boards that have an iron rest on the square side; I would never use one of those. The tapered side I think is for women's dresses.
I don't think I have touched and iron since my daughter's HS graduation about three years ago. Her gown came in a package and had deep creases in it.
I had to go looking for the ironing board that morning.

Had she opened it earlier, I would have told her to run the shower on hot. let it steam up, and hang the gown there. That usually works. If it didn't, I'd have taken it to the cleaners and had them press it.

Since she waited until that day, I dragged out the iron and ironing board. After doing the bathroom thing.

So that was three years ago. I really do not iron very much. Nothing I wear needs ironing. I don't like the look of ironed jeans, and that's pretty much my every day outfit.

As to what side? Idk. The side you are supposed to iron on. The top. If you are talking the pointy side as opposed to the wider side, again, I have never given it much thought. Somewhere in the middle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty