Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 09:24 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
No. I iron my button-down shirts. The square side gives me more ironing surface area to fold my shirts over. For the knits (polos), I use Downy Wrinkle Releaser Spray.
For your knits, all you need is a spray bottle of water. Spritz your knits when they are hanging up, and let them dry overnight. Wrinkles will fall out. I do this all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 09:36 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
Here is an expert opinion on which side of the board you should iron men's shirts:
Strike While the Iron is Hot: How to Properly Iron a Shirt | fordsbasement

Old 12-24-2019, 10:29 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Here is an expert opinion on which side of the board you should iron men's shirts:
I don't know Jazz, he doesn't sound like much of an expert to me, as he says "In my experience, ironing the back is a waste of time."
This guy from the Gentleman's Gazette seems to have turned ironing a dress shirt into an art form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBuSZYws_Dg

Old 12-24-2019, 10:41 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't know Jazz, he doesn't sound like much of an expert to me, as he says "In my experience, ironing the back is a waste of time."
This guy from the Gentleman's Gazette seems to have turned ironing a dress shirt into an art form.
That's the Old Bachelor Style, just the front if you're wearing a sports coat!

This thread hits home. I grew up in the 60's when "wrinkle free" shirts weren't invented yet. In my family we all learned to wash and iron our own clothes by the 4th grade. Served me well in college ironing shirts for free beer at the frat house. And what's really funny is my wife buying me a new Rowenta iron for Christmas this year. The sad thing is, THAT'S WHAT I WANTED!!!

Old 12-24-2019, 11:14 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

haha..funny you mention not ironing the back. My husband had to have a talk with one of his employees because the backside of his shirt was really wrinkled and he looked a sloppy mess. This was ok if he never took his suit jacked off but of course this doesn't happen. I think he ended up sending them out to the cleaners which is what I did.

I do iron because I like cotton fabrics and they wrinkle even if I hang them to dry.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:53 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Having an opinion does not make one an expert. Even if he agrees with you.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:10 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Expert? Exactly what are his qualifications for being called an expert? Does he have a PhD in textile care?

Old 12-24-2019, 12:21 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
People still iron?
Absolutely. My husband does. I don't because I don't know how

Old 12-24-2019, 12:42 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
When I did iron - I used the tapered END for smaller areas, shoulders, etc. and the center for more flat areas or just flat items. I have always used the top side

Old 12-24-2019, 01:48 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
... I am 99% sure the tapered side was designed for women's clothes in mind. It is all but useless for men's casual button-down shirts and dress shirts.
Never thought about that. I can see where the square side would be more useful for shirts.

I probably use my iron every day. I do some sewing every week, the iron is your best friend with sewing. My iron is an expensive iron, a Rowena--makes ironing easy. As for clothes, everything gets ironed! I like nicely pressed clothes.

The article was good, however I disagree with not ironing the back of the shirt. For heaven's sakes--finish the job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty