Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,184,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It’s not just Sephora...but if they pay for them or not, they are going to run out...like at the makeup counters in dept stores. Everyone wants samples! I’m also thinking of the bath & body stores with the natural “hand-made” products that have become so popular.....& there are shared opened samples everywhere....lotions...creams...scrubs...bars of soap! Then people wash their hands in the counter sink next to some of the products & drip their hands & I’ve seen some of the products get wet or soggy...wrapped in their cellophane packaging...eww. It’s really kinda disgusting....
You are right about people wanting samples but we do need to see how these creams work for us. Another poster said it takes probably about three months to see if something works, but the samples would be great to see if our skin is sensitive to it, how it feels on our skin, and then we may make a informed purchase - skin creams are so expensive (which unfortunately I think the marketing people think that attracts us to the products even more). I know some people abuse the samples and ask for many and not intending to even buy the product, that makes it look bad for the rest of us who really are interested in purchasing the product. How could anyone pay $50.00 for a skin cream even before they at least try it out? $50.00 is on the low pricing end, too. I would be even willing to buy a trial size, but they don't make it for most products, which tells me most companies don't care if it works for you, they want you to buy it and who cares if it doesn't perform, they already got you to pay $50.00 at least for a skin cream.

LOL I know what you mean about the B&B sink, water splashing everywhere, sometimes I see people (with kids even) just using it to wash their hands and promptly leaving the store after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,626,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
You are right about people wanting samples but we do need to see how these creams work for us. Another poster said it takes probably about three months to see if something works, but the samples would be great to see if our skin is sensitive to it, how it feels on our skin, and then we may make a informed purchase - skin creams are so expensive (which unfortunately I think the marketing people think that attracts us to the products even more). I know some people abuse the samples and ask for many and not intending to even buy the product, that makes it look bad for the rest of us who really are interested in purchasing the product. How could anyone pay $50.00 for a skin cream even before they at least try it out? $50.00 is on the low pricing end, too. I would be even willing to buy a trial size, but they don't make it for most products, which tells me most companies don't care if it works for you, they want you to buy it and who cares if it doesn't perform, they already got you to pay $50.00 at least for a skin cream.

LOL I know what you mean about the B&B sink, water splashing everywhere, sometimes I see people (with kids even) just using it to wash their hands and promptly leaving the store after.
Yes......because people try to scoop up lots of samples at Sephora but there is no way you are going to get enough packets to use it for 3 months to test if it “works”...so you can only see if your skin has any reactions or you don’t like the feel or smell. A N D...a lot of what creams or moisturizers or exfoliants do...you aren’t really going to see it “working” anyways IMO....

I never see too many kids at Lush....but on the counter where they have some products kinda near the sink...I have seen soggy products in that clear wrapping stuff...& the colors of the product soaking through. I love Lush....but I don’t sample the stuff that’s out there either. I love Angels on Bare Skin & Ocean Salt body scrub...(extracted with vodka).......

Old 09-20-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Yes......because people try to scoop up lots of samples at Sephora but there is no way you are going to get enough packets to use it for 3 months to test if it “works”...so you can only see if your skin has any reactions or you don’t like the feel or smell. A N D...a lot of what creams or moisturizers or exfoliants do...you aren’t really going to see it “working” anyways IMO....

I never see too many kids at Lush....but on the counter where they have some products kinda near the sink...I have seen soggy products in that clear wrapping stuff...& the colors of the product soaking through. I love Lush....but I don’t sample the stuff that’s out there either. I love Angels on Bare Skin & Ocean Salt body scrub...(extracted with vodka).......
I can't understand how people can just go into Sephora and buy a cream and not really even test it out a bit. Yes, the feel of it, checking for skin sensitivity, and even fragrance are really important factors. If they even offered a small trial size for sale, that would work but they don't usually and you know those "trial sizes" are expensive, too sometimes, size wise price per weight compared with the regular but better paying a lower price and trying it out then forking out 50 something or more dollars for some cream. I've actually haven't bought any skin creams in a while, went back to old school Ponds, which works really well for me. I once got a bad reaction from a scrub on my face, was so dry for a few weeks, awful! Then I used some Pond's dry skin moisturizer on my face and it got rid of all the dry patches and my skin became normal again.

I love Lush, but I know what you are talking about - they have a sink, too and also when it is showtime with the fizzy balls, they fill a big cauldron with water and throw the fizz ball in, and it does get kind of messy. I think they invite everyone to play with the fizzy bowl, too. Sometimes it gets splashed on things, sometimes the bottles have water marks, that's why always pick the ones that are further back, also I think they are fresher products (farther away exp. dates).

Old 09-20-2019, 10:54 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,626,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I can't understand how people can just go into Sephora and buy a cream and not really even test it out a bit. Yes, the feel of it, checking for skin sensitivity, and even fragrance are really important factors. If they even offered a small trial size for sale, that would work but they don't usually and you know those "trial sizes" are expensive, too sometimes, size wise price per weight compared with the regular but better paying a lower price and trying it out then forking out 50 something or more dollars for some cream. I've actually haven't bought any skin creams in a while, went back to old school Ponds, which works really well for me. I once got a bad reaction from a scrub on my face, was so dry for a few weeks, awful! Then I used some Pond's dry skin moisturizer on my face and it got rid of all the dry patches and my skin became normal again.

I love Lush, but I know what you are talking about - they have a sink, too and also when it is showtime with the fizzy balls, they fill a big cauldron with water and throw the fizz ball in, and it does get kind of messy. I think they invite everyone to play with the fizzy bowl, too. Sometimes it gets splashed on things, sometimes the bottles have water marks, that's why always pick the ones that are further back, also I think they are fresher products (farther away exp. dates).

Be careful tho on picking from the back...always check the label. I reach to the back too...but sometimes the date made is older there than what I find in the front.....

Old 09-20-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Be careful tho on picking from the back...always check the label. I reach to the back too...but sometimes the date made is older there than what I find in the front.....
You reminded me of several times that happened, usually I think the back has newer ones, but maybe the stores have caught on so they put the older ones in the back knowing we would grab those. Good advice to really check the exp dates. Or maybe the stock people didn't do the trick and just put the newer ones in front, it would be easier for them, too instead of taking everything off the shelf and putting the newer ones behind the older ones. A thought occurred to me now, that with online shopping, we wouldn't be able to see what we are buying and have to accept what is sent, as long as it didn't expire yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty