Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times

Advertisements

At 18, I can't remember. What I do know is that I was thin, no musculature.

But I look far better now in my 40s, in the best shape I've ever been. I'm not skinny, I've discovered the weight section of the gym and I have muscles and use them.

Between my teens and now, I got up to a size 18. Now I'm a size 8-10 and solid. Sizes mean diddly, it's how clothes look and feel on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:35 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
At age 18 I wore a junior size three. And a small. There were no XS as I remember. I do remember shopping at a mall shop for Juniors called the "3-5-9 Shop". Does anyone remember that store? Their clothes fit me well, and I liked them. My mother was not a fan. She thought they were too trendy and "cheap" looking" Not inexpensive cheap.

Anyway, now I wear a size small, two or four.

I agree that clothes are cut differently now.

I still have my lime green halter prom dress. It was just a long dress, I wouldn't even call it a gown. It still fits me.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
At age 18 I wore a junior size three. And a small. There were no XS as I remember. I do remember shopping at a mall shop for Juniors called the "3-5-9 Shop". Does anyone remember that store? Their clothes fit me well, and I liked them. My mother was not a fan. She thought they were too trendy and "cheap" looking" Not inexpensive cheap.
I used to shop at a store called 5-7-9 in middle school. I don't think they were still around once I was in high school, as I don't remember every buying clothes from them past 8th grade.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:17 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:

Anyway, now I wear a size small, two or four.

I agree that clothes are cut differently now.

I still have my lime green halter prom dress. It was just a long dress, I wouldn't even call it a gown. It still fits me.
I first started shopping there when I moved to Long Island. I loved their clothes but since I'm 5'1" everything was always too long: the pants, the sleeves, etc. I shopped in the girl's department often until I was in my 20's before I knew there was a petite department.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
One other thing I can say, is that even though I weigh LESS than when I got married almost 23 years ago, when I recently tried on my wedding dress, the bodice wouldn't zip up. I was disappointed by that because I thought I'd be the person who could still fit into her dress on her 50th anniversary, but apparently having three babies changed my shape just enough.

On the other hand, the dress fits my 16-year-old daughter like a glove.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I used to shop at a store called 5-7-9 in middle school. I don't think they were still around once I was in high school, as I don't remember every buying clothes from them past 8th grade.
I remember it as 3-7-9, but I could be wrong. I also think they added 11s at some point. Could be that I am older than you are, or that we grew up in different geographical areas.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:01 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
One other thing I can say, is that even though I weigh LESS than when I got married almost 23 years ago, when I recently tried on my wedding dress, the bodice wouldn't zip up. I was disappointed by that because I thought I'd be the person who could still fit into her dress on her 50th anniversary, but apparently having three babies changed my shape just enough.

On the other hand, the dress fits my 16-year-old daughter like a glove.
I experienced the same thing. My rib cage is stretched out from pregnancy. My daughter was a swimmer in high school. My wedding dress, although too short for her, didn't fit her in the shoulders. A couple of years ago she tried in on again just to make sure she didn't want to have it restyled for her wedding. It fit much better but was still too short for her, not to mention a little to froufy

As for my size at 18 and now--let's not go there.

BTW--I also remember it as the 5-7-9 store. Shopped there in my teens.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:11 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
I remember it as 3-7-9, but I could be wrong. I also think they added 11s at some point. Could be that I am older than you are, or that we grew up in different geographical areas.

I remember it as 5-7-9. I don't recall too many size 3's back in the 70's but my town was small back then and behind the times when it came to fashion.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:00 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I finally thought of something worth asking. What were your clothing sizes at 18, and what are they now?

You don't have to answer with specific numbers (or at all) and can use bigger or smaller in specific categories, such as pants and dress shirt. If you're not 20 yet, you probably shouldn't bother replying.

If anyone is confused, wait a little while, and I'll give my own answer as an example.
size 0... now 12

Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
14 then
8 now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty