Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 12:29 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,262,804 times

Advertisements

How do you deal with hang nails? Sometimes I get a long hard one and it’ll hurt to touch it. I try to cut them but some of them hurt. I read somewhere keeping your cuticles moisturized like rubbing olive oil on them helps. Can you think of another easier way? I wash my hands fairly often so that would be hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 01:45 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Moisturizing your hands and cutilclws after every handwash is the best remedy. Keep hand lotion with you all the time. A nice emoliant one.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:41 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Also be sure to push back your cuticles every couple of days after you get out of the shower, when they're a bit softer. It reduces your chances of getting hangnails.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:03 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times
Everything that was already said and put a super duper cuticle cream on night when you go to bed so it has a chance to really work while you sleep. My favorite is Qtica but I can't find a store that sells it anymore so I get it online.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
I do all those things, and still get an occasional hangnail. They're so hard, and hurt like the devil! Once, I tried slathering on Flexitol Heel Balm before bed. The next morning, it was soft, and didn't hurt. So now, that's what I use whenever I get one.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
How do you deal with hang nails? Sometimes I get a long hard one and it’ll hurt to touch it. I try to cut them but some of them hurt. I read somewhere keeping your cuticles moisturized like rubbing olive oil on them helps. Can you think of another easier way? I wash my hands fairly often so that would be hard.
Instead of olive oil I recommend coconut oil. I took 1-2 tsp of coconut and put it in a small vial, added a couple drops of essential oil. Definitely use it before going to bed. Use that or some moisturizer when you are washing your hands frequently. (Are you washing too often?)

Note that I favor coconut oil over olive oil because (1) coconut has a higher melting point (76°F) than olive (liquid even in your fridge) so more likely to stay there longer, and (2) coconut oil molecules are smaller than olive oil molecules, so they are better able to penetrate your pores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Also be sure to push back your cuticles every couple of days after you get out of the shower, when they're a bit softer. It reduces your chances of getting hangnails.
Oh no! I'm sorry to disagree, but IMO you should absolutely never push back your cuticles.

Your cuticles are what seals the transition between nail and skin, and protects that area from infectious agents, etc.

I'm lucky that my cuticles are in pretty good shape most of the time, but I use my coconut oil whenever I see a cuticle is starting to look ragged. Call it restoration.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Oh no! I'm sorry to disagree, but IMO you should absolutely never push back your cuticles.

Your cuticles are what seals the transition between nail and skin, and protects that area from infectious agents, etc.
Cutting them is what opens them up to infection. Manicurists recommend pushing them back gently because as the nail grows if the cuticle is not pushed back it can stretch it, so to speak, and then it can tear at the corners.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:
Cutting them is what opens them up to infection. Manicurists recommend pushing them back gently because as the nail grows if the cuticle is not pushed back it can stretch it, so to speak, and then it can tear at the corners.
Use a wood orange stick, or a pencil eraser. If using the orange stick, wrap with a bit of cotton dipped in oil. also, I've found a dab of cortisone cream massaged in at night does wonders.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:17 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Maybe I'm thinking of something different, because my cuticles are always in good shape, and I never push them back--they're right where they need to be.

More importantly, there's no "ragged skin," either. When I get these things, and I'm thankful it's seldom, it's not even hardened skin that's there--and I don't care what the experts say lol. That thing looks--and feels--like part of the nail--like a very thin splinter growing right alongside the nail.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:26 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Quote:
My information comes from a recent article on one of the magazine sites like Style Caster or Trend Spotter or the ilk. I'll admit I'm out of my element here.

I'll agree that the cuticle stretches as the nail grows. It's possible that a small accident or bump tears the cuticle and then it opens up and exposes the junction to whatever. In the last few weeks I've been trying the coconut oil and I've reached a rare point where all of my cuticles are intact. I use the coconut oil only every few days, or whenever I spot a cuticle that doesn't look perfect.

I'm dating a woman who owns a nail salon. I'll see if I can get her opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty