Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 05:31 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I take exception to the message you're implying in the bolded comment. It makes you sound like a judgemental snob attempting to regulate what is right or wrong for other people.

For many centuries men of all stations and from all walks of life who were particular about their appearance have availed themselves of various types of grooming aids and cosmetics. There was nothing "gay" about it and nobody thought there was. Nobody cared. There is still nothing gay about it. So I think you're making a mistake when you try to qualify what is gay or not gay and equate gayness with whether or not a man uses cosmetics.

If you are particular about your appearance and your grooming habits, just do what you want, be yourself to suit yourself. Don't concern yourself about the thoughts of cultural conservatives and anti-feminists. They are just silly faddish meaningless buzz words that divide other people into boxes anyway. Don't try to put people into boxes.

Not too mention high heels, wigs and corsets were originally for men
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 06:00 PM

http://youtu.be/tODdMKd0YkQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
I love men who look like MEN...I have a problem with men wearing makeup, tight jeans and tight fitted shirts, sorry! My man is manly but he takes care of his skin...he has a skin care routine and wears nice cologne. But he is a handsome man that is manly.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think part of it is the rise of websites and communities around men. I mean since the mid 1980's we have seen more and more male fragrances, and more are less male. Cool Water and Joop! Homme were among the first to not smell "manly." That isn't to say that Stetson or Passion for Men weren't somewhat feminine, just that the smelt generally manly. I hear so many complain about modern men masculine scents like Acqua di Gio, Gucci Guilty, Bleu de Chanel, Invictus, Sauvage, Dylan Blue, etc. smelling "too clean" and not manly enough. Meanwhile most men don't buy manly scents like say Gucci Guilty Absolute, let alone these scents. They may get it from family or an SO and not otherwise use. My brother is like this except for the Michael Jordan 23 he got into recently...
I think WD-40 smells good, but I don't wanna smell like it.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I got acccused of being an effeminate hipster nancy boy on this forum just for recommending slim straight cut jeans as opposed to lard ass, chunky thigh relaxed fit jeans.

I mean, if you are very overweight or obese and must wear relaxed fit jeans, that is fine, but to call me effeminate just because I am not overweight and wear jeans that fit, not skinny jeans mind you, is a sign of a mental disorder in my opinion.
I wouldn't call you effeminate for wearing skinny jeans or whatever...but your description of relaxed fits is a bit askewed. "lardass, chuny thigh..." they aren't jnco mammoth legs or even Tripp pants...personally they aren't baggy enough for me, too close to straight leg. Any thing narrower than relaxed fit makes doing anything but standing uncomfortable, the pocket are near useless, no sack room. I'm not a lard ass either, Mr. Pot. At 6'4, I'm a svelt and sexy 245lbs. It's actually upsetting that I hafta settle for the subpar option of relaxed fit jeans because nohody was smart enough to keep making baggy/wide legged pants. In the urban stores and urban brands sell nothing but spitty skinny jeans and those ugly dispicable low crotch baggy top skinny legged monstrosities, I could probably find hope in Rock Revivals but they are both too expensive and gaudy. I'll wear pedal pushers before I ever lay leg in pair of 501s...and...I do.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:45 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
nothing new happening in fashion, really. It is always recycled from the past .

But this feminine male dress is a real problem. To each his own, but come on ,when your shirt becomes a blouse, and the suit jacket has the ladies diamond cut, instead of just a V cut, and the pants are showing your socks, while standing, there is a problem. And this is main stream and accepted, I guess people have lost their sense of class.

the big problem is that everyone wants to be that guy! The Bald guy, the bun guy, the guy with the beard. And men are now being given too many options. Now the men go to the cosmetic counter, and try on the blush and get a facial. I know even the female customers are un comfortable. I know I cant stand more than 5 minutes in the cosmetics section, before I want to run to the nearest exit.

Look , Prince the Artist used to dress in blouses and tight pants, even using eyeliner. but he was an actor , a performer, and always had a string of ladies nearby. The old rock acts were the same, steven tyler , mick jagger, all wore the tight stuff, with the long hair, just an offshoot of the hippie culture. The Hippy era took a big dump on fashion.

I dress and groom for the occasion. Men should use lotion, shave face daily, get a haircut weekly or bi monthly, use cologne and deodorant , make sure the clothing is pressed, fit right and clean, nails and teeth maintained, and be in healthy shape.

That line gets crossed when you want to be "that guy" that you are not. one too many skin peels, regular bleeching of teeth, spend too much time in the mirror, feel the need to carry a man purse, while holding a Venti Starbucks beverage and a bedazzled cell phone in the other hand. The eyebrows get the thread treatment, and nails get the french tips.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
nothing new happening in fashion, really. It is always recycled from the past .

But this feminine male dress is a real problem. To each his own, but come on ,when your shirt becomes a blouse, and the suit jacket has the ladies diamond cut, instead of just a V cut, and the pants are showing your socks, while standing, there is a problem. And this is main stream and accepted, I guess people have lost their sense of class.

the big problem is that everyone wants to be that guy! The Bald guy, the bun guy, the guy with the beard. And men are now being given too many options. Now the men go to the cosmetic counter, and try on the blush and get a facial. I know even the female customers are un comfortable. I know I cant stand more than 5 minutes in the cosmetics section, before I want to run to the nearest exit.

Look , Prince the Artist used to dress in blouses and tight pants, even using eyeliner. but he was an actor , a performer, and always had a string of ladies nearby. The old rock acts were the same, steven tyler , mick jagger, all wore the tight stuff, with the long hair, just an offshoot of the hippie culture. The Hippy era took a big dump on fashion.

I dress and groom for the occasion. Men should use lotion, shave face daily, get a haircut weekly or bi monthly, use cologne and deodorant , make sure the clothing is pressed, fit right and clean, nails and teeth maintained, and be in healthy shape.

That line gets crossed when you want to be "that guy" that you are not. one too many skin peels, regular bleeching of teeth, spend too much time in the mirror, feel the need to carry a man purse, while holding a Venti Starbucks beverage and a bedazzled cell phone in the other hand. The eyebrows get the thread treatment, and nails get the french tips.
Yeah, I think I was confusing metrosexuals for guys who probably get picky about their grooming maybe?

I am very picky about what I bathe with and that even includes the shampoo, is that an element of being metrosexual? I do love to go for a lot of good smelling body washes. Both my target market and those targeted at women.

As far as lotionizing/moisturizing my skin goes, I just use it on my hands mainly. I started wearing lotion regularly like some months ago, as a guy I have an OCD with hand washing[I am pretty much a germaphobe] and there are times I go for whatever lotion I can and like with body washes, I go mainly of course for my target market. But I am developing an OCD as well with lotion considering not a lot of lotions are waterproof. Otherwise, tbh I could care less about wearing lotion.

Colonge: As a teenage dude, I get a lot of criticism still on my BO

I do sometimes on rare occasions shave a bit of my private area lol[and especially at such a young age] and even armpits maybe? But even so I only done both like a couple of times. Heck, I haven't even shaved my chest hair yet, not even once.

I always been very picky about what I shower/bathe with, even as a kid I sort of was.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 AM

And if i am gonna go for more modern men's body washes, I always determine how masculine each scent is, but that barely plays a role for me anyways. I am however trying to break the stereotype that men are careless with themeselves and probably only shower once a month or so lol. To this day the average man is still promoted this way, even the MOST effeminate of men are seen this way.

I say however genderized marketing at this day and age seems very redundant and pointless. Especially with the rise of people wanting more genders and ****.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:11 AM

But the ironic thing, I as a guy can complain men's grooming is still very underpromoted, even though most grooming items regardless of who they are targeted to are made by MEN themeselves. I can maybe see most men got tired of being friendly to the women in this area and went "**** it, we want to even dominate the grooming area NOW!"

I am not really a fashion person either by much.

I guess I was over thinking it hehehe

But still enough with the whining, I am as anti feminist/anti-emasculation as they come and I find it ridiculous some people are thinking this is what's contributing to the ongoing emasculation of men.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:19 AM

I mean be well groomed, don't just shave your beard off and act like you're finished right away. Use some face moisturizer if you can.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Not to me, but people keep implying it. Just shut up already people who say that, maintain your hair is something to be proud of.

I mean as long you don't try out lipstick, nail polish or make up on, I say there is nothing "gay" with being a grooming enthusiast like me
My experience was that American guys stopped worrying about what "people think" and the "gay" thing in the Eighties. Sheesh! Has the U.S. gone into some kind of sociocultural tailspin?

Do what you want, and give your finger to the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty