Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:21 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,732,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I take exception to the message you're implying in the bolded comment. It makes you sound like a judgemental snob attempting to regulate what is right or wrong for other people.

For many centuries men of all stations and from all walks of life who were particular about their appearance have availed themselves of various types of grooming aids and cosmetics. There was nothing "gay" about it and nobody thought there was. Nobody cared. There is still nothing gay about it. So I think you're making a mistake when you try to qualify what is gay or not gay and equate gayness with whether or not a man uses cosmetics.

If you are particular about your appearance and your grooming habits, just do what you want, be yourself to suit yourself. Don't concern yourself about the thoughts of cultural conservatives and anti-feminists. They are just silly faddish meaningless buzz words that divide other people into boxes anyway. Don't try to put people into boxes.

I am more about "cleanliness" rather than appearance, but thanks anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:00 PM

9,486 posts, read 11,251,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I take exception to the message you're implying in the bolded comment. It makes you sound like a judgemental snob attempting to regulate what is right or wrong for other people.

For many centuries men of all stations and from all walks of life who were particular about their appearance have availed themselves of various types of grooming aids and cosmetics. There was nothing "gay" about it and nobody thought there was. Nobody cared. There is still nothing gay about it. So I think you're making a mistake when you try to qualify what is gay or not gay and equate gayness with whether or not a man uses cosmetics.

If you are particular about your appearance and your grooming habits, just do what you want, be yourself to suit yourself. Don't concern yourself about the thoughts of cultural conservatives and anti-feminists. They are just silly faddish meaningless buzz words that divide other people into boxes anyway. Don't try to put people into boxes.

I love the way people toss around the attempted put-down "you're so judgemental!"

That statement is judgemental. EVERYONE is judgemental, all the time, in all situations. We're wired to judge, God gave us the ability to judge for a reason.

The real snobs are those who accuse others of judgemental this judgemental that. It's nonsense.

judgemental
(also judgmental)
ADJECTIVE
1Of or concerning the use of judgement.

‘judgemental decisions about the likelihood of company survival’
More example sentences
1.1 Having or displaying an overly critical point of view.
‘I don't like to sound judgemental, but it was a big mistake’
More example sentencesSynonyms

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...on/judgemental

Old 01-19-2018, 01:05 PM

731 posts, read 681,765 times
Now wait a minute-- if I see a man wearing makeup my Gaydar is instantly overwhelmed.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times
I don't think the marketing of men's grooming products is a new thing, at all.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:12 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,596,858 times
There's always been dandys around. Not much overlap with alpha, despite Lucy's protestations.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:30 PM

29,780 posts, read 34,545,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
There's always been dandys around. Not much overlap with alpha, despite Lucy's protestations.
Historically men have always cared about their appearance--bespoke suits, shoe shines, hats, groomed facial hair or the ritual of shaving. Going back even further, wigs, breeches to show off their calves, codpieces, etc. Men who cared about these things weren't all dandys or fops or fancy men, not by a long shot.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:45 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,163,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Now wait a minute-- if I see a man wearing makeup my Gaydar is instantly overwhelmed.

Really? I think you probably mean your gaydar goes off if you see a man wearing too much extravagant and colourful makeup that makes him look freakish.

If it's subtle enough you probably don't notice. But every time you watch a male news reporter announcing the evening news on TV you are seeing a man wearing cosmetics and hair care products. There are lots of men who wear cosmetics because of the professions they're in and the face they must present to the public. Every time you see a male public personality, like an actor or politician on TV or in person, you are seeing a man wearing cosmetics. Like your current president for example, who plasters himself in pancake makeup and hairspray to cover up his skin and scalp conditions. I've never heard of anyone saying that the president is gay.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:51 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,950,930 times
I fail to understand your premise but fail even more to understand why you thought you had to introduce partisan politics into the mix.

Well, except Pajama Boy which has NOTHING to do with grooming or being metrosexual, which he wasn't - he was a Millennial hipster.

And if you're referring to Limbaugh talking about the feminization of men, it has nothing to do with fashion, beauty or appearance.

See: Camille Paglia or The WAR AGAINST BOYS: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men or Red Pill.

Might wanna stay in your lane if you don't get it since the term metrosexual has been around for many years - probably over a decade and mostly talked about by Liberal media like GQ. I honestly have no idea what you're saying.

BTW, stuff like AXE has been around for as long as I can remember - after seeing my college kid using it in 1996 or so.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:52 PM

45,578 posts, read 60,945,454 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbbV5x3YZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw2pe8mwCTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwg1dQD_he4

Old 01-19-2018, 02:59 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,273,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
You can be a skin carer and an alpha af dude
LOL

Keep telling yourself that.

Alpha males don't sit in front of a keyboard whining about how the world thinks they are gay because of their grooming habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty