Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 09:06 AM

50,479 posts, read 47,229,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
If I had my preference, I'd rather see more cleavage. That will empower them more!
both coach

Old 01-04-2018, 09:06 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,022,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
Nope! I’m no longer in my 20‘s but did some modeling back in my day. As to the point of the thread we all have crotches so i doubt I’d be jealous of someone showing theirs! Good try though.

As to the marketing if you are not selling a product...what exactly are you selling? I have refrained from posting people’s private Instagram photos here.

My question wasn’t “How shocking, should we outlaw it?” It was “I think it’s trashy, do you like it?” Thanks for staying on topic.
I did some modeling, too. And I have spread. Dressed. That was 20 years ago. Sex sells. Pretty simple. I don't think it is trashy if you don't see anything and I have seen wayyyyy more sexy poses than a covered crotch. I find it more trashy to show too much cleavage or mesh clothes were you can see everything through.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,739,375 times
I think stuff like this is addressed in the documentary called
Miss Representation
2011 film

7.7/10·IMDb
4.1/5·Documentary Lovers

I encourage all women and men to watch this documentary.
It if anything it will encourage more people to be more critical of the messages about women being pushed by the media.
If you are a parent you have even more reason to watch this documentary.

The way anyone females, males, minorities etc are shown in the media ex tv ads, magazine ads, bill boards, tv commercials MATTERS as we are continually bombarded with this images and they do effect our perception and assumptions about everything.

I am happy you created this thread it sparks discussion about how women are being conveyed in ads and why?

Media literacy is essential and we need to be analyzing how and why people are shown in ads.

Ex:
What is the ad trying to suggest?
Why are they suggesting this?
What product or message are they trying to sell?
Is this message one I support?
Who does it help and who does it harm?

Old 01-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
I'm seeing this on instagram and modeling photos everywhere. I don't get the appeal. I consider myself somewhat of a feminist but this seems trashy. I don't want to look at other women's crotches, but maybe it's for men, who knows.

Does anyone like this?
I personally think it is trashy.
What does the image sell?
Sex?
Isn't using your sexuality to something trashy?

Ads like this and many others annoy the hell out of me ...

Like seriously what are you selling?
Does anyone eat or swallow anything safely while lying of their back lol.

I thought this blog/ these comments were also insightful on the topic.

https://obviweretheladies.com/2016/1...chocolate-ads/

People need use their critical thinking a bit more and provide feedback regarding how their are being represented as it matters greatly.

Last time I checked I was expecting to be regarding as a lot more then something to have sex with.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:40 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,526,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Didn't even know this was a thing.

Kind of hard to feel worked up about it. Meh.
Yeah no kidding. I'm 60, wondering how old people are that think this is pearl clutching behavor. Maybe a cultural thing.

It's not that we don't get it, we could just don't give a d@mn.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
The younger you are the more nature tells you to mate and reproduce.

That is the driving force behind all the gawking at the opposite sex (or same sex depending on your orientation) reproductive body parts. People can't ignore this potent force of nature so they gawk at other nude people. As long as the gawking is done in a quite socially acceptable manner no harm no foul.

Get a little older and have a kid or two and the magic goes away.
The only problem is that most of the people that are conveyed in images that are derogatory hypersexual body postures seem to be young females. What public message does that send about the role of women in society.

The messaging that I am getting from this broken down is that someone is basically suggesting the role of women is to sitting around waiting to be f*****.

Last time I checked that was my not main function and certainly not the message I my daughter to have about the role of women. There are very harmful messages to not only women, but society in general.

Who really sits around in a bikini with there legs spread open like a dying animal? In real life how many people do you notice siting around doing that? Personally I have never seen anyone anywhere sitting around like that. So what is the point of having a woman or girl (as in many cases the females in these ads are not legal adults) pose like that?

What are they selling?

Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 AM

731 posts, read 680,438 times
Look, its body language that says I'm available. The advertising companies want to sell something.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I personally think it is trashy.
What does the image sell?
Sex?
Isn't using your sexuality to something trashy?

Ads like this and many others annoy the hell out of me ...

Like seriously what are you selling?
Does anyone eat or swallow anything safely while lying of their back lol.

I thought this blog/ these comments were also insightful on the topic.

https://obviweretheladies.com/2016/1...chocolate-ads/

People need use their critical thinking a bit more and provide feedback regarding how their are being represented as it matters greatly.

Last time I checked I was expecting to be regarding as a lot more then something to have sex with.
I find nothing wrong with it. Are you getting worked up about a pretty woman standing in line in front of you at the store with a mini dress also? She is not even advertising or selling anything, she just wants to be pretty. Would you get annoyed also if she was 350lbs or would you then say "everyone can do how they please?"

The woman on your pic - yeah, it gets attention because it is a pretty woman. It is human nature. And it is human nature that the less fortunate get jealous over it.

The image is trying to get attention in a basic way to bring their point across with the danger of that chocolate. And it worked on you, too, because now you posted this here. So either way,they have reached their goal.

Are you hating on women wearing lipstick also? They are selling sex pretty much, too.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM

34,263 posts, read 18,641,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Look, its body language that says I'm available. The advertising companies want to sell something.
I think it is a well known fact that the media uses sex to sell, and portray people, mostly FEMALES as objects to "acquire". As males, society has conditioned us to view women this way, and it takes a concerted effort to remind oneself that it is not really fair to the opposite sex.

Women aren't totally innocent in the big picture either. Many use it to their advantage, and manipulate men for wealth, status, and material/personal GAIN. If a woman dresses provocatively, or gives sexy body language it is for a reason.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
The only problem is that most of the people that are conveyed in images that are derogatory hypersexual body postures seem to be young females. What public message does that send about the role of women in society.

The messaging that I am getting from this broken down is that someone is basically suggesting the role of women is to sitting around waiting to be f*****.

Last time I checked that was my not main function and certainly not the message I my daughter to have about the role of women. There are very harmful messages to not only women, but society in general.

Who really sits around in a bikini with there legs spread open like a dying animal? In real life how many people do you notice siting around doing that? Personally I have never seen anyone anywhere sitting around like that. So what is the point of having a woman or girl (as in many cases the females in these ads are not legal adults) pose like that?

What are they selling?
It is the same public message sent since many many years. We all survived Marilyn Monroe spreading and the barely dressed baywatch girls. Did it make an impact on you? Did it ruin your life and make you seem a sex object to men? Just cover yourself up and no man will look at you. Problem solved.

Google it - Marilyn Monroe spreading legs and you find wayyyyy worse public pics than the ones posted here. They are even borderline for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty