Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Precisely because it's low cost and not a fine metal.

You could get a paper cigar band every year, and it would always look new. Very low cost, too. But what would that say about the marriage?
What a ring is made of (or if there is a ring) says nothing about a marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Can you cut it off if you need to? That's one of the reasons I'd never get any rings made of tungsten.
I think you may be thinking of titanium.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:43 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Can you cut it off if you need to? That's one of the reasons I'd never get any rings made of tungsten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
No, really, I would NEVER get a ring made of tungsten.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nope, it's tungsten.

You can actually still cut through titanium, but it is harder to do compared to gold or silver. https://www.e-weddingbands.com/store...ing_bands.html

Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Oh, wow, just noticed that the site I just referenced actually has cobalt chrome. https://www.e-weddingbands.com/store...ing_bands.html

Old 01-02-2018, 09:03 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I had a friend say one time "I can commit to a man. Can't commit to a ring." I've kinda sorta adopted that philosophy after I lost my first engagement ring. I had 2 or 3 CZ rings I liked to wear, and I had a ruby cushion cut ring, that my husband gave me, that I would wear. I'd change it up, just because.

Now, I have a new engagement ring, and it's what I wear 98% of the time. Otherwise, it's the ruby ring. They are my 'real' rings.

IMO, a ring doesn't make or break a marriage in and of itself. But it DOES symbolize it, so it gratifies me that my husband wears his. Happily, he doesn't have the type of job where he CAN'T wear it. Although, I'd understand if that was the case. But it does make me happy that he wears his.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:55 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Good call! When I was about 12, I broke my right ring finger playing volleyball. It immediately swelled up and I couldn't remove the ring. My finger was turning purple-red-black! My mother took me to the ER, where they had a ring cutter and were able to remove the ring. It was gold, which is relatively soft. I wonder if silver is about as soft? I didn't know about tungsten being so hard---GTK

Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
A worry I share. I had to have my highschool ring cut off after a stove finger playing basketball. Finger swelled and a jeweler had to cut the ring.
Materials scientist friend and his wife had tungsten carbide and had no answer to how to get it off in an emergency.
As an EMT I was able to remove a few rings by wrapping the finger with fine string starting at the tip and wrapping back towards the ring and then manipulating the last bit. Lots of lube and it slipped off. Very painful as circulation restarted, like frostbite.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:30 PM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
You're equating the price of the wedding ring to the marriage? Are you one of those who equate the size of the wedding to the solidity of the marriage?
No, BUT, a gold band isn't all that expensive. A quick check online for a gold band in my size, yellow or white, is $250, $370 for Platinum. I don't remember exactly, but I think my wife got mine, engraved, new, for less than that earlier this year.

According to a quick google search, the average cost of an engagement ring is $6K. Let's assume that's a little on the high side, and your talking about a $2K engagement ring. If I spent even $2,000 on an engagement ring, and my fiance was trying to save $100 on something I'm wearing the rest of my life, I'd be a bit upset.

Now, I understand that every couple is different, and if your both saving as much as possible and keeping costs as low as you can, in pursuit of your long term goals of really making it, or you both are extremely non materialistic, that's a different story.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No, BUT, a gold band isn't all that expensive. A quick check online for a gold band in my size, yellow or white, is $250, $370 for Platinum. I don't remember exactly, but I think my wife got mine, engraved, new, for less than that earlier this year.

According to a quick google search, the average cost of an engagement ring is $6K. Let's assume that's a little on the high side, and your talking about a $2K engagement ring. If I spent even $2,000 on an engagement ring, and my fiance was trying to save $100 on something I'm wearing the rest of my life, I'd be a bit upset.

Now, I understand that every couple is different, and if your both saving as much as possible and keeping costs as low as you can, in pursuit of your long term goals of really making it, or you both are extremely non materialistic, that's a different story.
For real?

Our wedding bands (matching, plain gold), combined, were still much less than my engagement ring (which was itself well below the price norms listed, despite being a three-diamond setting). Nobody batted an eye. But we are not people who as a rule prioritize items over experiences, or focus on cost as a measure of desireability. In general, whatever channel allows us to spend the least money possible to get what we want is the route we choose. Not cheap out and get something we don't even want, but the best deal for what we do.

My husband is waaaaaaaaay more likey to high five me for getting a stellar deal on his wedding band than to be all personally affronted and, "But I spent x amount on your engagement ring..." We like deals, though. No slap in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty