Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:39 PM

7,061 posts, read 9,114,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
You're equating the price of the wedding ring to the marriage? Are you one of those who equate the size of the wedding to the solidity of the marriage?
A ring made of precious metal is traditional. Many people feel that a 'cheap' wedding ring implies that the marriage is of little value. It does not have to be true for people to feel that way, many people feel one way about 'something' even though the facts of the matter do not support it or even are completely opposite...especially with rampant rumor-mongering and sensationalism on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 12:42 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,592,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Can you cut it off if you need to? That's one of the reasons I'd never get any rings made of tungsten.

Cobalt Chrome is not like tungsten, which cannot be cut to resize and it can break. Cobalt Chrome is a metal just like gold, silver, and platinum.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:57 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,494,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post

Its color is the closest to platinum than virtually all metals out there.

It is very low cost.

It is a lot more scratch resistant than platinum, gold, and silver.

In other words, it is more durable, more shiny (scratch resistance), virtually the same color as platinum, and very inexpensive. Why is it not more often used as wedding bands (especially for men), other than the fact that it is inexpensive (which should be a plus)?
Well, we do lots of things that could be done cheaper. A courthouse wedding is very cheap but most people avoid it. Living in a trailer is very cheap, but most people opt to spend more on a house. A perfectly nutritional meal can be had for under $5 at any supermarket, yet most people periodically dine out and spend considerably more on finely prepared, more expensive foods.

Even when my wife and I were first together, we could easily afford a pair of gold rings. Together they were less than $1000 (her stone is a sapphire, not a diamond - obviously, that kept the price down), though that was not an insubstantial sum for us in 1995. Still, we managed. And two rings of that price are hardly splurging for most people.

I'm not saying people should spend any particular amount. But you asked why, and I think this explains why.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:49 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,089,892 times
People just don't know about it. Big name jewelers want to sell you a gold band, not something for 1/5th the cost.
Gold is also traditional and people see it as having more value.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,276,156 times
When choosing a wedding band, one dies not generally choose something because it is inexpensive; a wedding band symbolizes a lifetime committment, and is meant to be a permanent investment. One generally buys the best one can afford, preferring precious metal over less precious metal.

But to each his own.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:51 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,152,949 times
I happen to wear a cladaugh ring as my wedding ring and a lot of people know what it is but some don't . I'm okay when people ask me what the ring means . I am glad to tell them . I think it does not matter in the least what you wear as a wedding ring . I do happen to think it is personal preference .

Old 01-01-2018, 04:06 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,295,807 times
how do you know what metal someone's ring is? Do you ask them?

Old 01-01-2018, 04:10 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,452,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
how do you know what metal someone's ring is? Do you ask them?

I agree especially when it comes to the white gold, silver, platinum, and this cobalt chrome. They all look the same to me

Old 01-01-2018, 06:05 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,401,740 times
The round band symbolizes the endlessness of marriage.

The use of gold symbolizes the preciousness of marriage.

The band is worn on the fourth finger of the left hand because it was once believed (incorrectly) that there was a vein that ran directly from that finger to the heart.

Of course you can choose to wear any kind of wedding ring you want, or none at all, but in the Western world this is where the tradition comes from.

Next!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:50 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,950,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Can you cut it off if you need to? That's one of the reasons I'd never get any rings made of tungsten.
Tungsten rings can snap off with vice grips. Even easier to remove than metals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T8G98lJeEik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty