Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Try wearing a very tall hat to balance things out. HA! I give horrible advice.
Okay, that literally made me LOL.

"Here comes Wmsn, in her tall hat and hoop earrings! If only she weren't wearing those glasses ..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 04:43 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,804,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Okay, that literally made me LOL.

"Here comes Wmsn, in her tall hat and hoop earrings! If only she weren't wearing those glasses ..."
Those glasses just really ruin the line of the look. At least the pigeons she carries on her arms distract from all the round items. It also helps that she hula hoops while she walks. Granted, the hula hoop is round but it's away from the face, so it works wonderfully as a fashion accessory.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:15 PM

7,684 posts, read 1,275,959 times
When I was younger I only wore small stud earrings or small latch back hoops because I felt that large earrings combined with glasses was just too much hardware around my face. As I got older I got so over that! Now in my 60s, the larger and crazier the earring the better I like it! I have a pair of huge obnoxious daisy earrings that I wear in the summer time. During my "Match.com/POF" dating phase I would wear these as a form of identity--I'll be the woman with the big yellow daisy earrings..."

I would suggest that if you find that you're not too crazy about big circular hoops give oval hoops a try. I think they're a bit "softer" and conform to the face a bit easier. It also depends if the hoops are attached to "fish hooks"/ levered backs and dangle (which I seem to prefer) or are latch back or "endless" hoops. Another consideration is your hairstyle. The longer I wear my hair the longer and bigger the earrings are! If I get my hair cut in a shorter pageboy I find I move away from wearing my long dangles.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:59 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,366,864 times
When I wore glasses I would never wear anything but small earrings. I also felt it was just too much stuff on my head. Of course I am petite with short hair so I would never, ever wear large hoops if I was wearing my glasses.

But if you are taller with long hair it's probably fine. Coco Chanel said "before you walk out the door, look in the mirror and remove at least one accessory", although these days people wear what they want.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:50 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
When I wore glasses I would never wear anything but small earrings. I also felt it was just too much stuff on my head. Of course I am petite with short hair so I would never, ever wear large hoops if I was wearing my glasses.

But if you are taller with long hair it's probably fine. Coco Chanel said "before you walk out the door, look in the mirror and remove at least one accessory", although these days people wear what they want.
Ah, Coco ... So wise.

Where I live, in a suburb of Nashville, lots of bling seems to be the thing.

It's kind of an attitude of, "If some's good, more's better."

Old 04-29-2017, 12:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,692,323 times
Thing is, my glasses aren't an accessory. They're necessary durable medical equipment, no less necessary for me than a prosthetic limb is for someone missing one. I'm functionally disabled without them. So, I don't put them in the same category as jewelry, and don't count then as my "one piece" or whatever.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:05 PM

522 posts, read 717,417 times
Hoops are classic rock those puppies!

Old 04-29-2017, 02:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,249,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Excellent idea

Our eyes definitely allow us to see ourselves with more of a "forgiving" filter than camera lenses do.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty