Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:56 AM

50 posts, read 30,560 times

Advertisements

I'm a guy and get both regularly. Started because my nails split or break easily, and toenails with a propensity to in-grow. I then saw what the health care providers were needing to do with my dad during his later years in assisted living (and the cost). Decided to take steps.

I've been getting both for about three years. Usually once a month - with polish. I'm particularly hard on my hands, and usually had the polish chipped off and nails again broken off. This last time I had the tech put gel on my hands, it's still going strong after a month.

At the Asian-owned place where I started going (I've since switched), the ladies were very pleasant, but were constantly asking me "You want color?", "You try color today?", etc. on a lark, I finally did get a blue on my feet - and discovered that I kinda liked the look! My present preferred tech has no problem with color on guys, so I get color about every third visit. Still sticking to clear on my hands. Btw, if anyone is wondering, I'm straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 10:37 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I've never had a manicure or pedicure. I think it's a fad that has gotten totally out of hand, and people like sheep have fallen into the fad.
A fad? Fads don't last for well over a decade. Manicures and pedicures have been around for decades.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:39 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,625 times
I'm 40 years old and have neither had a mani or a pedi. Never saw the point. I don't pay attention to other women's nails if they have one or not, I don't admire them. Not saying they are bad, but I just don't care. If you like them cool; not my thing.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Thank you you fellow Californian.

Most of these comments are horrifying. The amount of women out there that refuse to get a pedi. There's some nasty looking feet on these boards. Whatever u do at home is not what you get out of a shop. I think most of you of you have those Carrie Fisher feet the way it sounds. Just spend the cash and don't be cheap, I mean you can have natural fingernails if they are clear but personal paint jobs never work.Tacky, tacky. There's a reason most men don't cut they're own hair (except for baldies). It's not meant to be. At the very least I hope you are keeping socks on with your partners.

GO GET THOSE MANI'S and PEDI'S and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Painting nails isn't rocket science. Many people can paint their nails and you'd never know the difference between a DIY job and a salon job. What's it to you anyway?

I honestly can't see the point in spending $60+ on my fingernails every month. The manicure would last about 20 minutes - if that - at my job. Just this weekend, I've broken or chipped 3 nails at work. So for people like me, I'd be throwing money in the trash....I'd rather donate the money!

When my husband married me, he knew I wasn't all girlie and into the salon thing. He liked that I wasn't super girlie. I'm a total tomboy even now. I always tell him that he should be thankful he didn't marry a girl like my sister. She has a room in her townhouse just for her shoes. Seriously. One of the bedrooms in her house is her show room. She has hundreds of pairs of shoes and they're not from Payless! We travel instead of doing salons and shoes. And we're very happy with the way we are. This has worked for us for over 20 year so we must be doing something right!

Old 02-25-2017, 11:22 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logjam View Post
I'm a guy and get both regularly. Started because my nails split or break easily, and toenails with a propensity to in-grow. I then saw what the health care providers were needing to do with my dad during his later years in assisted living (and the cost). Decided to take steps.

I've been getting both for about three years. Usually once a month - with polish. I'm particularly hard on my hands, and usually had the polish chipped off and nails again broken off. This last time I had the tech put gel on my hands, it's still going strong after a month.

At the Asian-owned place where I started going (I've since switched), the ladies were very pleasant, but were constantly asking me "You want color?", "You try color today?", etc. on a lark, I finally did get a blue on my feet - and discovered that I kinda liked the look! My present preferred tech has no problem with color on guys, so I get color about every third visit. Still sticking to clear on my hands. Btw, if anyone is wondering, I'm straight.
My husband used to work with this very wealthy man that always got clear polish on his nails. He just thought it looked nice.
People will just think you're wealthy.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:59 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
My husband used to work with this very wealthy man that always got clear polish on his nails. He just thought it looked nice.
People will just think you're wealthy.

Or a river guide. They are into nail-painting and sarong-type dresses. Pretty sure they're straight.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:34 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,666 times
I do my own gel mani's weekly, I have a UV light(s), >80 polishes, and probably can open up my own salon at this rate. And I have minimally invested financially to get myself there. I used to get them done at salon and started doing the math...for the cost of 3 visits I invested in doing them myself, and have enough "stuff" to do them for the next couple years.

I guess you can say nails are one of my passions! I just wheel my nail cart over, put the TV on, and start doing them while watching the news or whatever...I relax, get in my zone, and have gotten pretty decent at getting them to look as good as a professional job (very minimal mistakes). People ask where I get my nails done all the time. Again, I should really consider opening up a shop.

I still don't know which color to do this week, but I am leaning toward a shade of purple.

I do my own pedi's too...but no massage chair!

Last edited by bluemonday; 02-28-2017 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-01-2017, 05:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
I get a good pedi before going on vacation. Once summer is here and I go swimming at the beach regularly I don't really need one.

For my nails, I only shape and buff them. I don't like nail polish.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 PM

219 posts, read 162,950 times
I have had 1 manicure and a couple pedicures. I find them relaxing but they are very awkward for me as I don't like strangers touching me or getting close to me. I much prefer doing them at home with family. I only ever went when my mother wanted company.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:25 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I'm 40 years old and have neither had a mani or a pedi. Never saw the point. I don't pay attention to other women's nails if they have one or not, I don't admire them. Not saying they are bad, but I just don't care. If you like them cool; not my thing.
^This

I'm 44, never had a manicure or pedicure.
I bit my nails until I was 30-even now that I have nails of length, the notion just doesn't appeal to me.
It's not a "thing people (family/friends around me) did", in the culture/demographic I grew up in.
Realize it's a normal thing people (in the general population) do...just not mostly the ones I know.

I'm used to maintaining my own nails (and cutting my own hair, etc.)
& am not used to paying money for another person to do that to/for me.
But hey, to each their own-we all have our own things that matter to each of us, make us feel good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty