Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:26 AM

6 posts, read 11,357 times

Advertisements

I gotta admit I was one of those young lads who momentarily fawned over the Vineyard Vines brand. Its clothes are fun, lively, yet preppy and classy.

However, now my craze for the brand is over and it gets to a point where I actively avoid wearing this brand. To me now, Vineyard Vines is too flashy with its colors, tacky with its logo, and the connotation with which it carries is not something I want to be associated with: young, wealthy dudes who are LOUD.

Now it seems to me that less kids are wearing this brand compared to two years ago. Is this just a personal bias confirmation or is this trend true? Vineyard Vines only started in 1998 and given how young this brand is, its success has been admirable. Yet I think this company is expanding too rapidly and thus in the process, losing its exclusivity factor. Add in the fact the clothes are not as classic and timeless as say those of Brooks Brothers, and I conclude that Vineyard Vines' desirability will soon decline, if it has not already happened now.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 08:31 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
It is funny to me (40 something) that it is a fad to dress like my parents and their friends. I am from the island, very few of us actually wear VV, though I do have a sweatshirt someone gave me once. My parents wear sperrys, pink belts, and other old preppy clothes, it amuses me that kids want to look like grandparents.

Anyway, as to the OP, I suspect it will just retreat to the old rich preps and will continue as a boutique brand just fine.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:38 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
It still seems to be hot. I sell on ebay and VV shirts are snapped up immediately. Nothing to do with age, it's whether you're preppy or not. Plenty of 60-70 yr olds were hippies, not preppies.

If you went (or want people to think you went) to an ivy league school, own a yacht, have conservative views, are interested in sports like polo, are old money--that's preppy. More to do with the image you want to provide, not to how old you are.

It's a wonder that preppy style has survived but it's still around in certain parts of the country with certain people. Transition into Ralph Lauren if you want a more mature preppy style.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
There's a store nearby that seems to do brisk business. Given that is not shuttered, I presume no. Ditto Sperry, which is a couple of doors down.

It couldn't be further from my personal style, but it is what it is.

We are also at least a thousand miles from anywhere anyone might go yachting, so that's amusing to me. Those shops tend to cater to the slightly older country club set, here, though, so I guess the thought is that they'd be yacht types, were they living elsewhere.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:55 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Its alive and well here in MA. Can't go to the Martha's Vineyard (it's namesake) or any of the other coastal towns in an upscale location without seeing people wearing the clothing.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:09 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It still seems to be hot. I sell on ebay and VV shirts are snapped up immediately. Nothing to do with age, it's whether you're preppy or not. Plenty of 60-70 yr olds were hippies, not preppies.

If you went (or want people to think you went) to an ivy league school, own a yacht,have conservative views, are interested in sports like polo, are old money--that's preppy. More to do with the image you want to provide, not to how old you are.

It's a wonder that preppy style has survived but it's still around in certain parts of the country with certain people. Transition into Ralph Lauren if you want a more mature preppy style.
I understand that the bolded is a popular view, but it is odd to me that is then associated with MV. It has long been the summer haven of well off liberal leaning families , both black and white.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:10 PM

110 posts, read 110,168 times
The brand seems to still be hot, I have seen high schoolers have a high demand for the brand in some parts of the country due to the image that it provides. I think that the brand will become boutique as it continues though. I live relatively close to one of their locations and there doesn't seem to be overwhelming demand for it here.

Personally, I was never really drawn to their style as I feel like it is too loud, I think you might be better off with J Crew or Ralph Lauren if you are looking for the preppy look. I combine both of them most days for work with something from Express for a smart professional look.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:35 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times
Wow---I looked at their website--$198 for a tee shirt dress??????? At 62, I don't need to spend that much (never did!) to clothe myself. I can enjoy what I wear and spend far less money. But great that people who are into such clothes have a place to buy them. I do have to wonder whether it really appeals to people so much or whether it's just the status/prestige factor---like whether brown handbags that have LV all over them are really visually appealing to people or whether it is the status of owning a high-priced item.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:50 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
$40 flip flops and a $15 pair of socks (women's). I'm thinking it's a trend I don't care to participate in. I could easily pay that amount but...why would I? That wouldn't be a very good use of my money, imo. I'm not one to judge how other spend theirs so, that's cool.

Okay, just looked at the men's. So THAT'S where all the pink shorts come from! No offense to the guys who think they look cool in the stuff and no offense to my gay friends but.... the guy clothes look gay. I wouldn't want my guy wearing that stuff even if I could get him to. I have enough trouble with women checking him out!

Old 11-11-2016, 07:58 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I understand that the bolded is a popular view, but it is odd to me that is then associated with MV. It has long been the summer haven of well off liberal leaning families , both black and white.
This.

I wouldn't associate VV with conservative views. Everyone I know personally who wears it, and the general demographic of MV skews towards affluent liberal leaning types. I lean conservative, vacation on MV, and wouldn't be caught wearing VV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty