Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 04:19 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,910,967 times

Advertisements

It's kind of a trend still down here in our little blue bubble of Austin, but primarily because the local schools seem to have partrnered with the brand to make tees and such that are VV but carry the school logo. The preppiest southern brand I've seen is Ben Silver. Some nice things but then some really garish crazy prints and plaids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 04:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,143,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
It's kind of a trend still down here in our little blue bubble of Austin, but primarily because the local schools seem to have partrnered with the brand to make tees and such that are VV but carry the school logo. The preppiest southern brand I've seen is Ben Silver. Some nice things but then some really garish crazy prints and plaids
I actually met with Ben Silver back in the 1980s (his first shop was a hand made tie store on King Street in Charleston) and his stuff is amazing. Talk about small, exclusive, preppy brands, he may be the king.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:10 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,716,162 times
I feel the same way about Under Armour. I hate the brand and hate the logo. Just my opinion!!!

Old 11-12-2016, 12:47 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,773,133 times
I think Vineyard Vines is still doing fine.
I have to admit that I buy their clothings because of trends.
But sometimes it ius very hard to incorporate the colors once winter comes.
Everybody is like black-black-black and BAM here I am with brighter color corduroy pants.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:28 PM

21,921 posts, read 25,257,062 times
Never really heard of Vineyard Vines. The generic preppy style, no that's not going out. About half the stuff I'd wear as weekend wear if I cared. The thing is on weekends I'm finding my favorite pair of jeans and a well worn t-shirt. Am I ever going to wear blackwatch pants, nantuck red or light green pants? No. Some basic chinos or cords are great though if you're trying to look a bit more put together than the average jeans and t-shirts look. Light green/nantuck look is just too... effeminate, and blackwatch is straight clown pants. I have a blackwatch flannel I wear quite a bit, just not wearing blackwatch pants. I might buy maroon if I wanted to be less boring though.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:59 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,441,990 times
I have owned Vineyard Vines for a while, since the company is nearly 20-years-old, founded in the late 1990s. I don't know that I would call it a trend, but I do not wear the t-shirts and such, just polos, oxfords, pants, shorts, and especially the ties which started the company. Recent expansion has brought the brand to many other regions of the country, so perhaps that's what others are noting as a trend. And, there's no political connotation that I see with it at all, since I know many on both sides of the aisle who own VV. With my nieces and nephews, it's a go-to brand for preppy casual looks, among other brands that they like to wear, or will be seen in, if it has a logo.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-15-2016, 10:19 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,900,085 times
Looking at the Vineyard Vines website, I just don't get it. These plaid flannel shirts, at $98, look no different than the plaid flannel shirts at TJ Maxx or Ross for $14 marked down to $9.

Do people really pay $98.50 for a common flannel shirt???

http://www.vineyardvines.com/mens-sport-shirts/

Old 11-15-2016, 01:27 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,371,273 times
That logo is ridiculous, I'm sorry. I couldn't do it. There are so many preppy brands out there, though, it's easy to avoid one that one does not like. I like some of Ralph Lauren's Polo brand clothes, they make so many different things I find it's easier for me to find something that I like with them than a lot of brands with smaller inventories. But, I do a lot of shopping on ebay...I can afford to do some hit and miss on sizing, condition, etc., when I'm buying shirts for 10 dollars rather than 100-200.

Sporty and Misty, generally on more expensive shirts, the fabric is going to be much more soft/supple/higher thread count, whereas your Ross finds are going to be more coarse and may be synthetic. But, I couldn't vouch for this particular brand.

I don't have anything against synthetics necessarily, though. It just depends. I wear more cotton than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty