Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:31 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The analyst pointed to a decline in breast augmentations as one example of consumers' changing tastes. Roughly 279,000 American women went under the knife in 2015, down from nearly 331,000 three years earlier. It was the third consecutive year that number had fallen.
Yahoo!

I think medical tourism might explain some of the drop. Because I enjoy delving into strange topics...
Spoiler

ending of backlog (from recession, fixing earlier bad surgeries, women who no longer felt a stigma, and so on)
big fake boobs out of style [that would be nice news]
people more aware of the pitfalls (thanks to shows like Botched)
doctors pricing themselves out of the market
maybe implants last longer than they used to?
maybe some women are getting lifts instead?
women of course doing things to other body parts instead

the decline is not because there are good, popular new alternatives to what breasts implants do (fat transfer can be adequate for a small size increase)

But mainly I post this because it's very surprising, interesting news that deserves publicity. It must be rare for there to be a reduction in total number of procedures done on any area of the body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 01:00 PM

162 posts, read 213,059 times
I don't know, could be related to the economy too. When the economy took a nose dive a few years back they were offering all sorts of plastic surgery deals.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:07 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Many more women are very overweight and naturally have bigger hooters.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:18 PM

There's no such noticeable change in the past few years. Meanwhile, breast size independently increased between generations.

I was looking for age-related info and instead found this.
Dear Mona, What Percentage Of Women Have Breast Implants? | FiveThirtyEight

It suggests some women are getting surgical butt enhancement instead (which is logical enough for the usual type of body that is small-breasted and of course often can be done with exercise alone). (I personally think that the same category of women has switched to the heavy type of makeup criticized in another thread; much cheaper, and a pretty face generally doesn't 'need' much cleavage.) And, a bigger surprise than the premise of this thread: breast implant popularity actually peaked almost 10 years ago, which maybe goes back to the point about naturally bigger boobs.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:11 PM

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23102610
https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/...sfaction-rates (from 2012?)

Therefore, I think a big part of the decline is that there was an era of lousy implants (hence, the bad reputation) and now that breast implants are satisfying people, far fewer patients are seeking do-overs.

Also, I think the skimpy way many young women dress is reducing some motivation to get implants.

And, voila, a deeper article about the trend away from implants
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/1...s-removed.html

Old 11-10-2016, 03:12 PM

1,504 posts, read 852,029 times
They are stupid unless it is reconstructive surgery after cancer...other than that....just plain dumb...If a woman has plastic sacks sewn into her chest...it is a turn off...

Old 11-11-2016, 03:40 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
I follow some of the big name plastic surgeons on snap chat and they do boob jobs, but they do a lot more tummy tucks and bbl's.
It also seems that a lot of the work is fixing a botched boob job from years ago.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:05 PM

BBL?

Breast Augmentation Leads in ISAPS 2015 Statistics - Plastic Surgery Encino
Still increasing internationally.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:18 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
OMG ... please don't tell me having large breast is not in style any more ... that was just about all I naturally had going for me lol !!!!

Old 11-12-2016, 10:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
I think it as simple as butts are in and boobs are out at this particular juncture in society. And yes, we are generally bustier than in the past (I think it is due to hormones in our food and other things like BPA that are impacting both bust size and early puberty).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty