Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 05:44 PM

21,921 posts, read 25,242,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
That said, in many stores the dress shirts are sealed and cannot be tried on there. They, however, usually can be returned.

I think the variance in fit (regular, slim, extra slim, and so on) is the bigger minefield than basic size. My head was spinning the last time I tried on dress shirts, just from the variety in one brand. If a dress shirt is going beneath a buttoned jacket, then a slim guy probably can get away with almost anything. Excess fabric isn't hard to hide.
Sure you can. Take the package, open it up, and try it on. Buying it just so you can try it on? Forget it. My time is too valuable for that and it's stupid anyway. It's not like it's less work for them to ring me up, process the return, and then still have to take the shirt and repin it on cardboard thing. It's never an issue. At low end stores maybe some bubblegum popper might give you a dirty look as they're lazy and just want to be paid to not work. Higher end stores they're almost always on commission. If they catch me repinning a shirt they'll tell you to leave it for them and maybe ask what you didn't like about the fit and direct you to something that might fit better.

Used to be forr normal department store brands: regular is for grossly obese people who want a conventional loose fit, slim is for fat people who wan't a more modern fit but still want plenty of room (5'9", stocky build, 40 pounds overweight typically buy slim or tailored fit and half the time it's still a sail), and ultra/extra slim is for people with more normal builds who aren't significantly overweight. Then you have Brooks Brothers: Traditional (grossly obese, very loose), Madison (obese, loose fit), Regent (fat/stocky, reasonably trim fit -- fits me well), and Milano (modern fit for average builds). There's no standards to it though as everything is slimming down now. I really like Ledbury shirts but I'd need to lose at least 20 pounds for the classic to fit. Roundtree & Yorke (Dillard's house brand) even the slim fit is very loose on me. Macy's Club Room only comes in regular. It fits me well pretty well, but then I'm stocky and overweight. Since they're always on sale for $25 and I don't need to have them altered, they're great value. Stupid name as nobody in a club room will ever wear them but for a low quality business casual or dressy sport shirt for $25 there's not much to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 10:54 PM

219 posts, read 163,362 times
I would do a mix of slowly replacing with high quality items and buying some cheaper ones to start you off.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,574,057 times
I finally got around to starting my wardrobe upgrade. I went to Nordstrom Rack yesterday and bought a nice pair of shoes. Well they look and feel nice to me at least. They are the brand To Boot New York Oxfords. I'm sure they aren't the best things in the world but they feel much better than my previous shoes. Also picked up a nice shirt and pair of pants that fit for the most part. They could probably fit a bit better but I still think this one outfit looks better than anything else in my wardrobe. A few people have asked me today whey I'm dressed nice already. haha

Old 11-14-2016, 09:15 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,524 posts, read 6,337,572 times
Good for you. You're getting a good start.

Just like to add. Dress for the job you want not the job you have. Looking the part goes a long ways towards getting the promotion.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:23 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,470,573 times
Good for you!

Old 11-14-2016, 03:57 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,895,846 times
I see this website etailer advertised quite a bit.

UNTUCKit | Casual Button-Down Shirts Designed to be Worn Untucked

Old 11-14-2016, 07:31 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
Great start with the shoes and new shirt and pants. And, it's nice that people have noticed, since your efforts were not in vain. Just continue to repeat that formula, and Nordstrom Rack is a good place to look, especially the merchandise that comes form the main stores, Trunk Club, etc. I do not know if Nordstrom Rack carries brands and items exclusively at the outlet, since I have seen things with the price tags from the main store, showing markdowns.

To Boot New York is a good brand of shoes that combine quality materials with a mass market price point, generally under $400 at full retail, so I would say that you have done well. When Nordstrom has its sales and when the Rack stores have their periodic sales, you can get some good values, especially when buying classic staples that are not going to be out of style next week.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-16-2016, 08:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,574,057 times
Now that I have a nice outfit it's painful to wear my other clothes! haha

I might splurge a bit next week on some more new stuff since it's a big week for sales.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
Always a good plan to buy when there's a sale. If you like Nordstrom Rack, sign up for their rewards program, which I think you can do without a Nordstrom credit card, since you earn points for cash off coupons. There are days around the sales for Black Friday and such where you get 10x points, so the rewards add up quickly.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty