Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,069,204 times

Advertisements

In the old days, women dressed differently and wore their hair differently once they passed forty or so. I think that really made a difference. Today, with less of this, the lines are blurred. But if you put the same woman in different clothes and put a short poodle perm on her head, and you would likely guess a 20-year difference between the two pictures.

I am fine with this, but it seems to really wig some people out not to have blaring evidence of a person's age. And it gives some of us the impression that we're some sort of Dorian Gray fountain of youth anomaly. We're not - we, the over 40s, are simply the first generation of over 40s not to signal our age with our clothing, hair, glasses and mannerisms, and it confuses everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 07:29 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,069,204 times
And I agree. A few way over 40s were thrown in among those photos.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:37 PM

7,684 posts, read 1,275,692 times
Heck, I look younger and more hip now at 65 than I did in my 40s! Getting divorced helped quite a bit

Old 09-13-2016, 09:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,272,560 times
Probably has to do with the more confined gender roles in those days. Women were expected to be "mother" by their 40s. If they weren't, something was wrong.

Those pics remind me of my grandmother's friends back in the day. Looking at my grandma's old albums... it was kind of an overnight change almost by the time she hit her mid 40s. In her 20s and 30s she was fashionably dressed by the standards of the time... then BOOM! About the time my dad & uncle were around 10 & 13 years old, she changed her style to look like a "young" old lady. After that she basically just got more grey and more wrinkles until she died decades later.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:48 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,928,933 times
Most of those women look over 55 and a few overweight. 60's fashion was for young people with Twiggy and the swinging 60's mini skirts, PVC coats and boots etc. Women over 55 were left behind in the fashion scene, crimpolene dresses, stilleto heels probably still wearing stockings instead of panty hose.
Today the over 50's have more choice of clothing to suit their shape and size and lifestyle more pants around different lengths.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:19 PM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Those photos make me wonder what the definition of "middle age" was back then. Those women look like they're in their 50's and 60's, mostly. Most have grey hair, so it's unlikely they're in their 40's. The definition of "middle age" at that time was 40-60, and 60+ was "old age". Nowadays, so many people are living longer and are active longer, that a new term has been coined for the 90+ crowd: "old old age". But those photos look like they're skewing "middle age" to 50-70 years old.

The photos also look like they were taken mostly in the Mid-West: the big poofy hair-do's that some of the women have, plus the obesity are factors that indicate a more conservative society and a certain diet. Most of my female relatives of older generations stayed relatively slim, even without exercising much. They watched their diet and took hormones after menopause, except for the oldest generation; great-grandmother & her sisters. We have photo albums going way back.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:45 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,437,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
more Botox than people admit.
Can people really say that Botox makes a person look younger?

Old 09-14-2016, 08:02 AM

1,347 posts, read 949,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think with some of those women it's the severe hairstyles. The ones with more natural hair look younger. And you could make almost anyone look old if you sat them in front of fake paneled walls with 1960s furniture around them. There are a few who look okay--they have natural looking hair, not tightly permed or poufed. They don't have bright lipstick, harsh makeup or dowdy dresses either.
I agree with others who have said this article is useless without ages. Are these women 40 or 60? Big difference.

I think the bolded items are the biggest factors - almost all the women have hairstyles that expose their entire forehead, which is a fairly severe look and not as common today. And although most of them are wearing lipstick, several don't appear to be wearing any foundation (except for the pseudo-ghost) to even out their complexions, which is a key component of looking young(er), and those two things emphasize each other.

As one of the commenters in the original article said, it would be interesting if we could see the corresponding men too.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:02 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,131,939 times
I guess I'm the only one who thinks those "middle-aged women" look better than the middle aged women of today.

I thought they were adorable! Even the women that were heavy had waists & looked feminine.

Much better than the "muffin-tops" we have today or even worse; the women who just seem to give up & wear mens t-shirts & basketball shorts everwhere.

The women in that article looked like they put a little effort into themselves & had not let themselves "go".

I do agree some ages for a point of reference would have been helpful.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:44 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,363,871 times
There is no way that the woman in the next to last picture is "middle aged". She looks 70 at least.

I think most women today look better at 45 than women did in the 60's as long as they are healthy. The styles back then were awful and made everyone look so matronly. The only people I know who still dress like that are over 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty