Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 04:31 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,288,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Slips. I have two. Both half slips, one white, one flesh colored. One short, one long (for under an ankle -length skirt) I used to have a third, black, but that one wore out - because I wore it so often. Somebody must sell them. I know I didn't buy them in Harbor Freight.

I don't have full slips because none of my tops are see-through, but I must say, to see the outline of a pair of legs all the way up to the hoo-hah is not a good look, especially for someone concerned if a garment is appropriate for a 30-year-old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If the clothing is good quality, it will be lined and not need a slip - either because it is wool and itchy or because it is sheer. That's what I've learned over the years. Now, if you want to buy inexpensive clothes on a whim because they're cute and only meant to last for a few wearings that's fine, but yes, they may be of cheap sheer fabric...and slips are hard to find and probably twice the cost of this skirt...mostly you'll find "shapewear" that may or may not be what you need. Panty lines are a different issue and even a slip may not help that - that's what thongs are for.
Yep.

I don't see slips anymore when I go to the lingerie department. Perhaps they are next to the Maidenform bras? I avoid that section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 06:10 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,282,836 times
I've seen Juniors' items online in the women's section at Kohl's and online at Target and other stores, too. I found it a bit confusing. It seems like Juniors' is a brand (as opposed to the "juniors" department at the store), the models were women, and there was quite a range of sizes. I'm still not really sure but if it's a style that will work for you, I wouldn't let the name put you off.

I think the skirt is fine.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:08 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,370,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

Yep.

I don't see slips anymore when I go to the lingerie department. Perhaps they are next to the Maidenform bras? I avoid that section.
I was looking for the slips at kohl's. It seems that "slipshorts" are the trend now to wear under skirts/dresses. They're actually more comfortable to wear than the traditional slip worn underneath. I did spot some traditional slips at Target but none at Kohl's unless I was looking in the wrong spot

Old 06-03-2016, 08:42 PM

7,684 posts, read 1,275,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I was thinking of buying it. It's listed in the Juniors' section. Honest opinions please.
Juniors' IZ Byer California Tiered Smocked Skirt

The more important question is how do YOU feel about it -- NO ONE under 45 should even be asking this question.....

Old 06-03-2016, 09:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,266,266 times
I think it is a pretty summer skirt. Maybe a slip if you think it's see-thru. It can be very versatile, dressed up or down. Enjoy.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:19 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,671,522 times
I prefer dresses.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:17 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,437,093 times
Nothing wrong with it. It's nice for any age. Forget your age; you're an individual. My sister is almost 43 and shops in the jouniors section all the time but wears things appropriate for her personally.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:10 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,370,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Nothing wrong with it. It's nice for any age. Forget your age; you're an individual. My sister is almost 43 and shops in the jouniors section all the time but wears things appropriate for her personally.
My mom is a few years shy of 60 and still shops in the Juniors' section. Some stuff she has makes me cringe trying to dress much younger than she really is.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:41 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,491,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't have full slips because none of my tops are see-through, but I must say, to see the outline of a pair of legs all the way up to the hoo-hah is not a good look, especially for someone concerned if a garment is appropriate for a 30-year-old.
I'm in my 30s (for at least a little while longer) and I generally always wear a slip with a skirt or dress. The problem with the slip shorts things you see now is that they don't really keep a sheer-ish skirt from being see through enough that your body isn't visible through it.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:57 PM

32,984 posts, read 36,499,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If the clothing is good quality, it will be lined and not need a slip - either because it is wool and itchy or because it is sheer. That's what I've learned over the years. Now, if you want to buy inexpensive clothes on a whim because they're cute and only meant to last for a few wearings that's fine, but yes, they may be of cheap sheer fabric...and slips are hard to find and probably twice the cost of this skirt...mostly you'll find "shapewear" that may or may not be what you need. Panty lines are a different issue and even a slip may not help that - that's what thongs are for.
Quality clothing is usually lined, but not always. I've had a few skirts over the years--great fabric, beautifully finished--which weren't. Places like JCPenney carry slips and they don't cost a fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty