Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 01:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

She is a young and fresh young woman. I think jewelry should be on the dainty side. I'd go more fore earrings that aren't too grown up, but perhaps dangle a bit. Heavy jewelry for such a fresh young thing is out of place for her. She has her youth and freshness and should celebrate it. Maybe do a nice updo, but not too stiff. I like the idea of silver shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 01:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm kind of surprised to read all the opinions that she's too young for dangly earrings. I mean, she's a teenager, not a toddler. Sure, I don't think she needs to be wearing the big heavy earrings that tug on the lobes from the sheer weight of them. But there are plenty of chandelier styles that are practically weightless.

Is there some other reason other than weight that people object to a teenager wearing anything dangly?
She's BARELY a teen-ager.

It's a tricky age when wearing dressier clothes, when she may be adult height but still growing in other ways. She doesn't want to look like a little girl playing dress-up in her mom's jewelry.

It depends: on her hairstyle, on whether she typically wears earrings, on her personal style, etc.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I agree with everyone else, definitely no necklace!

Hair in an up do or a half-up do would work best, and if she wants some bling, she can wear that in her hair, along with a bracelet. I think a small drop earring is the most elegant and age appropriate.

Hope she has a great time, it's a lovely dress and I'm sure she will look beautiful!

Old 03-03-2016, 02:43 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I love that dress. Very pretty! I think a rhinestone bracelet is a must.
Ditto on the bracelet idea. I agree with everyone else that the dress wouldn't work with a necklace. An updo hairstyle is probably best. Earrings shouldn't be longer than a slight dangle or they will look too old for her, IMO. I hope she has fun! Oh, and I'd pass on a purse, at least the clutch style. Clutch style purses are a PITA since you have to use your hand to carry them around, instead of a shoulder. They can quickly become a hassle or even worse, abandoned

Old 03-03-2016, 02:46 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
So, 13-year-old DD picked this dress for an upcoming formal affair (her first) and now we need to decide what goes with it:

Calvin Klein Illusion Neck Chiffon Gown | Dillards

She wants to wear her hair down and curled (long).

How to accessorize? Should she wear a necklace with this understated illusion neckline?

I am thinking she should wear a silver metallic shoe (low heel for dancing) but not a flat. She doesn't wear high heels, and I am not keen on an open toe because she will be dancing.

She likes my shoe idea, but I am wondering more about jewelry. Pearls?

Suggestions from you savvy people?

Thank you in advance!
Absolutely no necklace. Long, thin dangle earrings in silver, with or without bling, and a silver bracelet, not too chunky.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
So, 13-year-old DD picked this dress for an upcoming formal affair (her first) and now we need to decide what goes with it:

How to accessorize? Should she wear a necklace with this understated illusion neckline?

I am thinking she should wear a silver metallic shoe (low heel for dancing) but not a flat. She doesn't wear high heels, and I am not keen on an open toe because she will be dancing.

Thank you in advance!
Earrings, bracelet and (hair styled up) perhaps a hair clip with some bling.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:

Thank you in advance!
No necklace. Long bling earrings. Cuff bracelet

If her hair is long, I'd actually suggest a long, loose, messy braid.

http://www.galknows.com/wp-content/u...ium-Hair93.jpg

https://www.thepinkbride.com/wp-cont...side-braid.jpg

Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
She's BARELY a teen-ager.

It's a tricky age when wearing dressier clothes, when she may be adult height but still growing in other ways. She doesn't want to look like a little girl playing dress-up in her mom's jewelry.

It depends: on her hairstyle, on whether she typically wears earrings, on her personal style, etc.
You're either a teenager or you're not. There's no barely.

I just can't figure out what is particularly "grown up" about lightweight dangly earrings.

I have a feeling that some of the folks posting (not you specifically) don't realize that 13 year olds don't dress like little girls anymore. I'm not saying they should dress like they're heading to a nightclub. But dangly earrings aren't too mature for most 13 year olds.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're either a teenager or you're not. There's no barely.

I just can't figure out what is particularly "grown up" about lightweight dangly earrings.

I have a feeling that some of the folks posting (not you specifically) don't realize that 13 year olds don't dress like little girls anymore. I'm not saying they should dress like they're heading to a nightclub. But dangly earrings aren't too mature for most 13 year olds.
You see NO difference between a 13-year-old and a 17-year-old?

Old 03-03-2016, 04:55 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Higher neckline=hair up.

Short sparkly drop or hoop earrings (hair up=No stud earrings)

Sparkly bracelets.

Flats.

No necklace.
This. Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty