Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:40 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,886,936 times

Advertisements

I personally believe expensive weddings are ridiculous and unless your well healed damaging to a
marriages initial set into reality ie rent, furniture, insurance, savings, etc etc. ,but looking through a
guys eyes I see wedding dresses that are not even within the ordinary style of the bride. They look like costumes not dresses. Who are we trying to impress? I don' t want to suggest taking away the bride's
joy in this crucial passage in life, just suggesting to "be different" a cool white skirt sleeved top and yes a vail , but shoulder high or to waist period. At the reception please don't shove cake in the dgrooms nose. Try to be different than tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:16 PM

18,661 posts, read 18,941,744 times
Ive never been into flash big weddings, a total waste of money... and hate famboyant dresses too.. my most hated thing has to be the obligatory dance with the groom or brides father that must take up hours of practice before the wedding and something I find totally embarrassing, like the cake shoving in face thing and the bridesmaids wheechin up their dresses to show their arse... terrible and humiliating.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:21 PM

16,464 posts, read 12,667,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
I personally believe expensive weddings are ridiculous and unless your well healed damaging to a
marriages initial set into reality ie rent, furniture, insurance, savings, etc etc. ,but looking through a
guys eyes I see wedding dresses that are not even within the ordinary style of the bride. They look like costumes not dresses. Who are we trying to impress? I don' t want to suggest taking away the bride's
joy in this crucial passage in life, just suggesting to "be different" a cool white skirt sleeved top and yes a vail , but shoulder high or to waist period. At the reception please don't shove cake in the dgrooms nose. Try to be different than tradition.
Hell, I dress better than that on a day-to-day basis. Way to suck the joy out of a special day!

Old 02-26-2016, 12:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,842,589 times
Gowns ARE costumes. So are tuxes, come to that. Bridal attire is, in effect, a ceremonial costume. This is true in numerous cultures, not just Western/U.S.

There is bridal attire available at essentially every price point.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:27 PM

And, speaking for myself, "the bride's joy" at my wedding really didn't have any bearing on what any of us were wearing.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,363,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Gowns ARE costumes. So are tuxes, come to that. Bridal attire is, in effect, a ceremonial costume. This is true in numerous cultures, not just Western/U.S.

There is bridal attire available at essentially every price point.
This is correct! The big wedding as we know it is indeed a ceremony. The expensive wedding is a throwback to times when the family of bride and perhaps groom, kept face with an expensive and showy wedding.

I don't think one has to have this to have a happy marriage. The great thing about living in a free country, is that you get to choose how you want to do things like weddings, birthday parties and funerals, and other milestone occasions.

I do think that one can go overboard on weddings, and there is apparently a feeling among some brides that they are entitled to "their special day." But weddings traditionally weren't for the bride to feel special at all, but for families to showcase their prosperity or respectability. I think it is perfectly OK for a bride and groom to decide how they want their ceremony or non-ceremony to go though. Times change.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,904,594 times
I see a lot of "over the top" wedding receptions and gowns, but my perspective isn't whether it's ostentatious or not, it's more - whether the gown looks good with the bride or not. Not all gowns flatter all women. Some just look really horrible. I'm not fond of feathers at all, I think wedding gowns with feathers look silly no matter who's wearing them. On the other hand, gowns with underskirts and tons of tulle - you couldn't pay me to wear - but I've seen them look lovely on other women.

I also don't like the "unique" looks - assymetrical, one-shoulder, mini-dress in front with 20-yard train in back, multi-colored or strange-colored. On the other hand, I love the look of traditional Hindu wedding dresses in their deep red colors and layers of fabric.

Mine was: Off-white liquid silk satin, full-gored skirt leading right into the bodice with 50 silk covered buttons down the back, a sweetheart neckline, mutton sleeves that tapered into points at the wrist, and the back flowed into a modest chapel train in the back. The veil was simple, with tiny seed pearls for the hem down to my waist, secured to my hair with a beaded barrette. I wore 2" Danskin character shoes that I had dyed ivory. It was all circa 1940's, and the gown was actually hand-made in 1948 by someone's mom. I bought it in a second-hand vintage store for $80. My bouquet was two dozen roses in ivory, pink, and peach, gathered with trailing dark green ivy.

Ostentatious on someone else maybe, but it was perfect for me and fit the overall theme.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:44 PM

Yeah, mine wasn't ostentatious at all. It was a simple sleeveless satin gown in an antique ivory cream with seed pearls embroidered on the train. And, best of all, it was free. I got it in a gown giveaway. Freebie wedding gown means more $$$ for meal and open bar for my guests.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:48 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,064,661 times
Bridal gown styles have changed many times since I wore one. As long as the bride feels beautiful, she's found the perfect dress for her.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:48 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,737,793 times
I am not against elegant, well planned weddings. I am a bit old fashioned that way. I personally prefer a church wedding ceremony followed by a fun, but sophisticated reception that is at a place that is beautiful and special. I am also happy that some people are still marrying.

What I don't understand are $15,000 dresses, $40K receptions and $20,000 honeymoons.

These prices are obscene. The couple lives a week of unmitigated lavish success, and return to crushing debt, and every day life.

Am I suggesting that everyone visit a justice of the peace followed by lunch at a budget wedding? (But for some, it may work).

No. I think that marriage is important, and like any important life event, it deserves a fun celebration that reflects the taste of the couple.

But, between a cheap wedding and one that puts a couple or their family into massive debt, there are beautiful dresses, memorable celebrations, and cherished memories, that lead to loving and lasting marriages.

However, in the end, it is an individual choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty