Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:19 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
You know one of my best friends is completely apple shaped. Big belly, flat butt, no hips. But man she's got great boobs and extremely shapely calves (that she doesn't even have to work on...she's never been to a gym). Fortunately her features are exactly what her husband is into....

It doesn't matter what your shape is, it's hard to find flattering clothes, and supermodels make us all feel like humpty dumpty. But every body is beautiful, regardless of what the magazines say.
Im smiling here at humpty dumpty but see what your saying... Im only 5 1 now. got shorter with age.. and that inch and a half off my height has changed a bit in my middle forever... Im not fat but even at a good weight for my age...that wee bit above my tummy I dont think will ever be right again... and I cant get that inch and a half back ever hahaha. so I have to make the best of it .... My friend had a pear shaped body.. very small on top but she had marvellous slim arms and a small ribcage and waist, but big hips and thighs, but when she wore gypsy skirts that were longish she looked amazing.. while I could never get away with it and Im hourglass shape..We can all make ourselves look better with exercise... even the movie stars of old , Ava Gardner, Marilyn Monroe. etc all did weights, yoga, swimming when us mere mortals were still crammming fat tummies into roll ons and corsets... Weights for women were seen as unfeminine back in the 30s and 40s but the stars knew how to maintain their bodies and looks .... they werent all born that way either....

Downsizing: Joan Crawford says get off your ass — Project Q Atlanta

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eHmfAdwi1K...ercise_opt.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...42_634x503.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...29_634x663.jpg

Marilyn jogging. http://www.viralgasp.com/wp-content/...oe-running.png

Marilyn yoga......long before it was popular https://i.pinimg.com/236x/f8/73/7a/f...pe-halsman.jpg

She was no slouch... she worked at it. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SR214,320_.jpg

Ballet class... bet you didnt know this side of Marilyn.. https://www.wellandgood.com/wp-conte...566ac206-1.jpg

This very slim actress Audrey Hepburn had to work at it too.. https://townbarre.files.wordpress.co...1/img_3232.jpg

Most actresses danced, one of the best ways to look good..

Last edited by dizzybint; 09-20-2017 at 01:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 05:59 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Its possible, but highly unlikely.

It just doesnt fit in with the standard of what the majority of men find physically attractive.
Ah, but some of us men find "fluffy" women quite attractive. As has been stated already, the person living in the body has more to do with personal beauty than the shape of the body.
During my 75 years, I have met women who, at first glance, were quite beautiful. But after talking with them for a few minutes, it became very obvious that I would not want to look at them across the breakfast table for the rest of my life.
On the other hand, I have met overweight women that were good company and fun to be with. In fact, I married one 32 years ago!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:21 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Ah, but some of us men find "fluffy" women quite attractive. As has been stated already, the person living in the body has more to do with personal beauty than the shape of the body.
During my 75 years, I have met women who, at first glance, were quite beautiful. But after talking with them for a few minutes, it became very obvious that I would not want to look at them across the breakfast table for the rest of my life.
On the other hand, I have met overweight women that were good company and fun to be with. In fact, I married one 32 years ago!
Ah, bless you, Redraven!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzH View Post
Incase you have no idea what I'm talking about, an apple shaped body is what you have if your body stores most of its fat above the waist. So basically a pudgy belly, skinny legs and a small butt! It's the shape i have and i hate it with a passion. The fact that a tiny waist with thick shapely legs and butt are worshipped as the perfect body for a woman makes me feel so ashamed! Apple shaped bodies have fat in all the wrong places. I don't know if I'll ever accept my pudgy middle and toothpick legs. I have tried changing it with exercises to shrink my middle and pump up my butt and legs.
Sometimes when I do find myself slightly accepting my body shape i will see a woman with a pear or hour glass shape and how much better those proportions are and be right back to hating myself. We don't get to choose how our bodies are going to naturally look but if we could i bet NO ONE would choose the apple shaped body! I would choose a beautiful and proportionate hour glass shape.
Do you think i can ever accept my body?

Actually, an "apple" figure has a tendency to store fat at the waist, instead of hips and thighs. That's in a world where everybody is either an apple or a pear.

However, a slender apple figure can have a flat stomach, just like a slender pear can have trim hips.

I've been watching old episodes of "What Not to Wear" on TLC. They suggest wearing clothes that hug the narrowest part of your body. In the case of my overweight apple figure, that's closer to my breasts than belly button.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
It's all about the waistline, it doesn't matter if your butt is too big or small, your waist has to show some curves.

Plenty of women without the pear shape but they can make it look sexy if their waistlines are slimmed down and from the side profile it can be attractive.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:11 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
OP, naturally we should be encouraged to keep our weight within healthy limits but I wanted to tell you something that happened about a week ago.

I went to Sophora and while I was reading the product ingredients a girl asks me if I needed help. This girl weighed about 200 pounds (guess) but she had the most beautiful skin I ever saw in my life. Her makeup was natural and perfect, her hair looked great too. She should be a model for bigger girls. My point is, although heavy, I couldn't help but think how really pretty she was.

An idea, while trying to lose weight, take some of that focus and put it on skin care (read, learn) and learn how to apply makeup too. Most likely having been so frustrated with your weight, everything else went out the window. Look into Korean skin care, my skin feels much, much better and maybe with a positive, the other will come without so much frustration. Just a thought.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM

951 posts, read 1,139,924 times
Sorry OP, but I have to be honest and say the apple shape is probably the most undesirable shape on a woman for me (even if she was fit). I would prefer to be an hourglass first and then a pear secondly. At least with pears, they usually have wide hips, a butt with slim arms and small breasts. Lots of pears would get breast implants, and then boom, they're an hourglass, so it's easier to be a pear than an apple. I'm also jealous that pears seem to always have slim arms no matter what.

I guess with an apple shape, you can focus more on legs and lower body workouts than upper body to grow your glutes and legs. The good thing about an apple shape is you usually will have skinny legs even if you're slightly overweight. I have two friends with this shape, and they always have skinny legs no matter what. They can wear shorts!

Old 08-23-2023, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 471 times
Unhappy I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzH View Post
Incase you have no idea what I'm talking about, an apple shaped body is what you have if your body stores most of its fat above the waist. So basically a pudgy belly, skinny legs and a small butt! It's the shape i have and i hate it with a passion. The fact that a tiny waist with thick shapely legs and butt are worshipped as the perfect body for a woman makes me feel so ashamed! Apple shaped bodies have fat in all the wrong places. I don't know if I'll ever accept my pudgy middle and toothpick legs. I have tried changing it with exercises to shrink my middle and pump up my butt and legs.
Sometimes when I do find myself slightly accepting my body shape i will see a woman with a pear or hour glass shape and how much better those proportions are and be right back to hating myself. We don't get to choose how our bodies are going to naturally look but if we could i bet NO ONE would choose the apple shaped body! I would choose a beautiful and proportionate hour glass shape.
Do you think i can ever accept my body?
Im an apple too and as i get older i look in the mirror and see a tank or barrel where a person should be, lol
What worries me more though is that we apples gain weight in the most dangerous areas, i.e.: The same amount of weight on my hips wont give me a heart attack, like it might when its all mixed up with my organs in my middle, like visceral fat is...

I notice if i lose weight it comes off the belly most noticeably first, and if i gain weight it goes in there first

I dont know how easy it is for surgeons to do liposuction on this area (as i have read that abdomen fat is visceral fat which is usually kind of mixed up with other tissue types and maybe not as easy to suck out via liposuction etc, as fat in other areas of a womans body where it tends to be just pretty much 100% fat)... And to me that just feels like a double "f-you" to any woman who is stuck with the apple shape

If there is anyone reading this with experience or expertise in how to remove this fat, (by that I mean kill off the excess fat cells so any weight gain is distributed more equally and safely though the body) i would love to know if any of the non surgical cosmetic fat loss options like kybella, cryotherapy/cool sculpting etc or anything else is of any use on visceral fat?

Not just for cosmetic reasons, but how can those of us who have been cursed (imho)with the apple shape, reduce the fat in areas which is not just cosmetic but also a health risk? Especially given the cost of lipo is out of the reach of most people...

and if anyone out there who is an apple has had cryotherapy or kybella or mesotherapy or some other non surgical therapy to reduce the number of fat cells (my understanding, is that diet and exercise can lose weight, but not affect the unequal distribution of fat cells that an apple shape has, and therefore to permanently reduce fat in the abdomen area we need to actually reduce the number of fat cells so any future weight gain will be more evenly distributed on all parts of our body, not just our belly...) and had a good, or bad, or even just a non-result, i hope they will post...

Would love to hear any opinions from anyone with experience in this area, either a physician, or someone who is, (or was), an apple shape who has had a successful result with cryotherapy or kybella

Or anyone who did these and did not get a result

Or anyone who had lipo and what it cost and their whole journey and whether it has changed their body shape from apple to (anything not) apple?

Old 08-23-2023, 07:54 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Lots of fashion models are apple shape, but very lean. They're clothes hangers, with no annoying protrusions to disturb the hang of a garment.

I am a not lean apple, but I show off my great legs by pairing leggings and tunics.

My favorite fashion tip; big on top or big on bottom, never big on both. Translation; baggy tops should be worn with narrow skirts or pants; big flowy bottoms should go with snug tops.
I see this mistake over and over on Project Runway, when the designer engulfs the model in shapeless jacket and baggy pants. Korto just went home on an outfit like that.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:26 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Apple body type. Asymmetrical hemlines, vee-necks, slant cut or angelwing sleeves, long jackets and sweaters.
I think these all look good on that shape.

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=blouse+a...Id=78104528534
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty