Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:01 PM

15,182 posts, read 28,043,921 times

Advertisements

It's BEYOND time for this thread to go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,017,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blm650 View Post
Ok, I don't mean to brag or sound like an a@#, but I am a very attractive guy. Strangers stare at me from across a room and people turn heads whenever I walk past. It's extremely awkward, and I don't really like it. I'm single right now, and not currently dating. It would be nice if someone actually struck up a conversation with me, but they pretty much just look and turn away quickly. Any tips on how to deal with this. I'm a shy person, so I don't like this attention.

Whenever that would happen to me, I would just start picking my nose. Problem solved.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:37 PM

658 posts, read 730,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Downplay your wardrobe, wear a dirty tattered hat with a hoodie, cheap scuffed sneakers. That oughta
help. A little mud would go a long way.
Oh man now you're making me think about filthy dirty bearded Rick Grimes who was way hotter all hot n dirty Curse the episode when they found Alexandria!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:42 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,195,171 times
I'm a tall guy who shaves his head on a regular basis. Though this doesn't seem to be an unusual look these days, I will sometimes get stares from women: either blatant, very obvious stares - or surreptitious stares - i.e., out of the corner of their eyes.

No problems, though. I'll take the attention any way I can get it

Old 01-30-2016, 06:27 AM

2,943 posts, read 2,023,657 times
Quote:
Ok, I don't mean to brag or sound like an a@#, but I am a very attractive guy. Strangers stare at me from across a room and people turn heads whenever I walk past. It's extremely awkward, and I don't really like it. I'm single right now, and not currently dating. It would be nice if someone actually struck up a conversation with me, but they pretty much just look and turn away quickly. Any tips on how to deal with this. I'm a shy person, so I don't like this attention.
First, I don't know why people have to be so snarky, as many of the comments in this thread read like they were written by silly 6th graders. Could be they are just jealous people.

My guess is the OP is being sincere, and asked for tips on how to deal with the problem. My suggestion is since you are single and not currently dating, find a nice attractive girl now because looks fade, for most people at least. Take advantage of your opportunity while you have it, because women are just as superficial as men when looking for a mate.

If you are as attractive as you say many women will either be intimidated to strike up a conversation, wanting you to, or they'll assume you must already have a girlfriend. You don't have to have pick up lines, just be yourself. That works well when you are good looking, not always so well for those who aren't.

Find places you can socialize a little besides nightclubs, bars, etc. Try to meet girls in normal places where you might find a normal girl.

When I was a young guy in the military stationed in the southern part of W. Germany, I weighed a skinny 147 lbs. One and a half months after I started lifting weights in my barracks room I weighed 173 with what I figure was about 2% body fat, or close to it. I had never gotten much attention from women before I started lifting weights, but after about a month of lifting I got more attention than I could have imagined.

Before I started lifting I remember reading an article in Muscle & Fitness about bodybuilder Steve Reeves who played Hercules in 1958 (I think that was the year). One of his friends said when he walked down the street people would stop their cars to watch him. I thought to myself that could never happen to me because even if I had the genetics to build my body in such a symmetrical way as Reeves, I don't have the face of a model like he does.

Fast forward to about one or one and a half months after I started lifting, the very same thing happened to me. Three cars in a row slammed on their brakes to watch me walk down the sidewalk. I was just wearing jeans and a regular shirt, as I didn't wear anything to get attention as some guys do when they lift. At first I thought there must be something going on, so I nonchalantly looked around and there wasn't anyone else around.

A couple of the other things that happened around the same time period. I walked into a deli in the local German town to buy some lunch meat, and every woman in that place (about 10) looked me up and down starting the moment I walked in. All but two were able to get their eyes full in a short period of time, but one of the girls in front of me, and a very attractive, well dressed woman in her 30's standing behind me in line just kept staring. I looked off the young woman in front of me, but the lady behind me looked me in the eye when I looked back and she dropped her gaze right back to my backside. I was about to tell her to keep her eyes on the lunch meat behind the counter, as I wasn't on the menu.

And on base one day I had walked into the small PX (a store), just to buy a candy bar on my walk back to the barracks, and the shelf where they were was across from the cash register just a little further down. As I was deciding what to buy a couple walked in, very well dressed, tall and looking much like Ken & Barbie. As they waited behind another customer the lady while holding her husband's hand turned with her back to her husband and just stared at me. And when it was obvious she wasn't going to look away I decided to walk back to the music section for a few minutes.

There were many incidents like that, those are just some that stand out. It made me uncomfortable as I had never gotten that type of attention before so didn't take advantage of my opportunities. Since I still saw myself as an average looking guy I didn't have the confidence to talk to the young women I was most attracted to.

It's ironic that when you are into getting your body into the best shape possible people think of you as narcissistic and give you attitudes, and as soon as you can't or don't want to work out any longer and start getting out of shape people have all kinds of nasty things to say. In my case I was involved in a car accident that nearly left me paralyzed, which I credit my weightlifting for preventing, however I did have to give up weightlifting for about a year and a half and was never able to get back to lifting as much as I had before. My back was in too bad of shape, and eventually had to quit altogether.

One of my goals was to always keep my body in good shape throughout my life so I wouldn't have the problems other men in my family line had had. But life happens, my car accident changed everything.

By the way, I never got married and wish instead of focusing on an Army girl that I was seeing that I knew would most likely not work out in the end, partially because I knew she'd probably cheat, that I would have travelled more/done more things in the local communities and met young women that might have been better suited for me. I wasted an incredible opportunity thanks to a girl convincing me she was trustworthy, when she indeed wasn't. She cheated.

So my main advice to you is to focus on what you are doing and maybe a girl that you notice, and tune out the people who stare at you that you are not interested in. Be cool and smooth. I was those two things, my problem is I didn't find the right girl when I should have been looking. Got distracted by a bubbly personality and a hot little body.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:05 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,319,151 times
Quote:
I suffered from the same curse. The most effective weapon is to walk rapidly and keep saying in a loud voice, " No autographs! No autographs!"

Old 01-30-2016, 08:42 AM

151 posts, read 191,715 times
I'm a decent looking chick with a decent looking body. This means being looked at, honked at, harassed in the street, and so on. I wish i had advice to give you on how to handle it. I hate being stared at, and walking down a busy street has become a nightmare for me because of the constant cat calls and harassment.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:46 AM

6,771 posts, read 6,041,179 times
First World problems.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle77 View Post
I'm a decent looking chick with a decent looking body. This means being looked at, honked at, harassed in the street, and so on. I wish i had advice to give you on how to handle it. I hate being stared at, and walking down a busy street has become a nightmare for me because of the constant cat calls and harassment.
Not that you should have to do so, but dressing as conservatively as possible trying not to reveal curves might help a little, but the truth is in some places guys will harass any decent looking woman. I do feel sorry you have to go through it, as noone should be subjected to that. Guessing you live in a fairly large city?

Edit: I misread your comment. Thought you were looking for advice also, but you said you wish you had advice to give the OP. Apologies.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
First World problems.
Hah, you might find it's even worse in third world countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty