Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:48 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,481,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I just saw this...and it reminded me so much of this thread..

What women over 50 shouldn't wear.
Cool, here's more pretty funny stuff.

What Not to Wear After Age 50: The Final Say

Google 'what not to wear after age 50' and you will have your pick of thousands of articles telling you what looks terrible on your old ass body.

I want to point out to the writer who wrote the 'no-no' article, you need to remember you are writing for over 50 women, not preschoolers. I don't think I've said 'no-no' since my youngest was a toddler.

We could spend hours studying the clothes we shouldn't wear and the slang we shouldn't use and the makeup techniques we need to retire.

Here's me, weighing in on this topic.

You are over 50 for ****'s sake. Wear whatever you want. If you've made it to 50 and still need to consult articles on how to dress appropriately then you are so missing out on one of the best things about being over 50. One of the best things about getting older is realizing that we don't have to spend our energy worrying what other people think and we get to be comfortable in our own skin with our own freak flags.

Still, there are a few things that women over 50 really shouldn't wear:

1. The weight of the world.
When you wear the weight of the world on your shoulders, you age. If you like the feel of the world's weight and don't want to give it up, then try scaling back a bit. Perhaps just wear the weight of a few of the smaller continents. For instance, I am only wearing the weight of Australia and a made up country called 'Michelloponia'. I think it they have a slimming effect.

2. Shame and regret.
So few people can carry this look off. Most of us just end up looking haunted or like we were forced to eat liver and onions. Shame and regret are especially hard to wear after fifty. Wearing shame and regret past fifty is one of those things that make your eyes all red and runny looking. The downward spiral just snowballs from there. Once the eyes get old lady looking, then you have to re-evaluate the wisdom of black eye liner. I say give up wearing shame and regret and **** giving up on black eye liner.

3. Rose-colored glasses.
Oh, sweetheart, you know who you are. Those glasses do nothing for you. Not only do they make you look like you've been smoking weed for days, they also keep you from examining life and your surroundings realistically. Yes, reality sucks, but by the time we hit fifty, we need to suck it up, take those glasses off and dick punch reality into submission. Or just get some really big dark sunglasses instead. They cover all manner of sins.

4. Stiff upper lip.
There is a time and a place for the stiff upper lip, but damn, it can't be worn all the time. Too much stiff upper lip causes those funky vertical lines between your upper lip and your nose holes. We don't always have to be stoic. I'm not suggesting that you wear your heart on your sleeve, but that is a much softer look than wearing a stiff upper lip.

5. Too many hats.
Personally, I can't pull off wearing one hat, much less many hats. I don't have a hat head. My hair poofs out and my ears look like car doors when I wear a hat. Wearing too many hats just exacerbates these issues. When you wear too many hats, it's easy to forget which hat you're wearing. For instance, are you wearing the "no nonsense corporate" hat when you meant to wear your "quirky and kicked back" hat? We're not getting any younger, you know. Sooner or later you're going to accidentally wear your court jester hat to the gynecologist and then where will you be? I'll tell you where you'll be. You'll be in an undignified position and wearing a stupid hat is where you'll be.

6. Resting ***** face.
Hahahahaha. Just kidding. Wear that one all you want. Although, it wouldn't hurt if every once in a while, you had a welcoming and kind look on your face. At least that's what I hear from other people.

There isn't anything wrong with getting advice about updating your look or what to wear, but we are just inundated with that ****, aren't we?

Who says what is appropriate? From where I sit, it seems 'appropriate' changes based on geography, social status, income and size. After a while, the advice becomes a confusing blur. I think I'll just keep wearing my Keds and jeans and black tee shirts.

Oh, I do have one real tip. Stop wearing holiday theme clothes. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 08:04 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,295,447 times
TRosa, awesome post!

You have given me food for thought. I am wearing too many farking hats at work, and I need to knock it off.

Black eyeliner--I tried going with smoky grey, other colors, and none, and I just don't look as perky. I'm not ready to give it up. But then again, I am only almost 50.

Holiday wear--I agree with you except for edgy holiday wear. I am looking to own a collection of t-shirts for every holiday that are not PC. (I have one non-holiday t-shirt with a mildly non-PC message. I recently wore it out to a bar and got a lot of comments and stares. People need to loosen up.)

First up, I am thinking of making one for Easter. "I ate the Easter bunny's liver with a nice chianti."

Christmas: Elf on a Shelf snorting a line of confectioner's sugar from Santa's plate of cookies. (I won't actually do that one because I am against drugs. But you have to admit it's hilarious.)

My goal when I retire is to have purple and teal streaks in my hair, a complete/deployed collection of the aforementioned shirts, and a bunch of super edgy clothes. I have to "have a career" and "look professional" right now, so I wear my monkey suits and have purely brunette hair. When I am freed of those requirements, I'm going to be me.

Youth is for "getting ahead" and retirement is for freedom, in my world.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:24 AM

17,562 posts, read 39,217,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
TRosa, awesome post!

You have given me food for thought. I am wearing too many farking hats at work, and I need to knock it off.

Black eyeliner--I tried going with smoky grey, other colors, and none, and I just don't look as perky. I'm not ready to give it up. But then again, I am only almost 50.

Holiday wear--I agree with you except for edgy holiday wear. I am looking to own a collection of t-shirts for every holiday that are not PC. (I have one non-holiday t-shirt with a mildly non-PC message. I recently wore it out to a bar and got a lot of comments and stares. People need to loosen up.)

First up, I am thinking of making one for Easter. "I ate the Easter bunny's liver with a nice chianti."

Christmas: Elf on a Shelf snorting a line of confectioner's sugar from Santa's plate of cookies. (I won't actually do that one because I am against drugs. But you have to admit it's hilarious.)

My goal when I retire is to have purple and teal streaks in my hair, a complete/deployed collection of the aforementioned shirts, and a bunch of super edgy clothes. I have to "have a career" and "look professional" right now, so I wear my monkey suits and have purely brunette hair. When I am freed of those requirements, I'm going to be me.

Youth is for "getting ahead" and retirement is for freedom, in my world.
Yup, and at 66 that is exactly what I am doing - being TOTALLY ME! So if I wan to wear my revealing belly dance costumes, or plunging necklines or short skirts, Ima gonna do it and I don't care. And I say what I want to. It's amazing what you can get away with when you're older and don't care!

Old 02-08-2016, 05:28 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,561,725 times
probably not to answer OP's question, but my question is it ok for women 40+ to wear multi bright colors? something like this? usually, we don't think of older women wearing colors like this or even a top like this, but i've seen it more these days than 10 yrs ago and it looks great.

Last edited by JL; 02-08-2016 at 06:00 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 05:31 PM

Seriously...that is mostly neutral colors. I feel sad that someone would think a woman can't wear that because of her age. Boo.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,937,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
Seriously...that is mostly neutral colors. I feel sad that someone would think a woman can't wear that because of her age. Boo.
Seriously! I had no idea I would need to retire all of my bright pinks because I turned x.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:12 PM

You must, jade, you must.

You can wear pastel pink though, while you sit in your rocking chair and knit. The pastel pink will show off your blue gray hair nicely.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:15 PM

342 posts, read 438,908 times
I think with age I became more careful with certain fabric prints/designs. Basically I avoid clothes made with multicolored flower design fabrics. Looks cheep on me now. But 10-20 years ago it was fine

Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,270,341 times
I'd have to see the outfit and the person wearing it.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,270,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
probably not to answer OP's question, but my question is it ok for women 40+ to wear multi bright colors? something like this? usually, we don't think of older women wearing colors like this or even a top like this, but i've seen it more these days than 10 yrs ago and it looks great.

Nothing wrong with the top itself, both the color combo is really ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty