Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 11:57 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,870,930 times

Advertisements

I'm going to a black tie event in March. This will be my first one. Is a tea length dress appropriate or do I have to wear a full length gown? I was watching what the stars were wearing at the SAG awards and saw both. I'd prefer to wear a tea length dress. Anyone have experience in dressing for these events?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 12:21 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
Wear the tea length thing; it's what you'll be more confident in and self assurance is the best accessory at these things. If it were white tie I'd say go for the ankle length.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:25 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,455,638 times
Lisa, a tea-length dressy dress is most appropriate. Black tie is not ultra-formal, if there even is such a thing. White tie and tails denotes a floor-length gown for a woman. Nice shoes, jewelry appropriate to the dress, and doing something with your hair and makeup should make you feel very comfortable. I think, in my Mother's day, they called them 'cocktail dresses'?

Old 02-03-2008, 07:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,034,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Lisa, a tea-length dressy dress is most appropriate. Black tie is not ultra-formal, if there even is such a thing. White tie and tails denotes a floor-length gown for a woman. Nice shoes, jewelry appropriate to the dress, and doing something with your hair and makeup should make you feel very comfortable. I think, in my Mother's day, they called them 'cocktail dresses'?
LOL!!!!! I thought it was the other way around, that tea length was the older term, shows how old I am!
The designers are showing a lot of knee-length hems now, I think it would be perfectly appropriate!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks, everyone! I'm sold...I'm going to go with a tea length dress. Now I have to start going to some stores. I'll start with Lord & Taylor, Macy's and Nordstrom. Hopefully, I'll get luck at one of those and not have to spend a fortune.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,034,558 times
take a pix and post it, so we can see how gorgeous you are!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM

I will. This isn't until early March so it'll be awhile.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 AM

170 posts, read 893,741 times
I have experience with black tie but not white tie. Tea length is great alternative to a floor length gown.

I remember reading this in The Globe and Mail late last year...

Black tie tips for the ladies...
Length matters
White tie and black tie both call for a long gown, but cocktail length is acceptable if you pump up the volume, says Christina McDowell, image stylist and national spokeswoman for Holt Renfrew. If you go long, keep it sleek and chic. If you go cocktail, make it special. “Here is where you use colour, silk satins, velvets, beading, sequins, embellishment and fur trim.”

globeandmail.com: Formal affairs (http://tinyurl.com/2datqr - broken link)

Personally I'm not big on sequins but remember if you want to stand out go for colour. I don't know how many events I've been to where everyone is in black. Of course if you've got some spectacular diamonds go for black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty