Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:26 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,703,437 times

Advertisements

You should probably work on that instead of hurling anonymous insults at people who are okay with their own. It doesn't hurt their feelings and it doesn't help your appearance at all, so it's really pretty petty and nonproductive. Just a bit of advice.

Sorry if this doesn't belong here but I know I'm not the only one this has happened to and the few people who have mentioned this to me said it happened on this particular board. Seriously, if you're not happy with yourself, change it. Most of us at one point in our lives have had to do that. It takes effort but it's worth it and you will love yourself more and won't feel the need to desperately try to tear other people down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 11:16 AM

17,642 posts, read 39,439,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
You should probably work on that instead of hurling anonymous insults at people who are okay with their own. It doesn't hurt their feelings and it doesn't help your appearance at all, so it's really pretty petty and nonproductive. Just a bit of advice.

Sorry if this doesn't belong here but I know I'm not the only one this has happened to and the few people who have mentioned this to me said it happened on this particular board. Seriously, if you're not happy with yourself, change it. Most of us at one point in our lives have had to do that. It takes effort but it's worth it and you will love yourself more and won't feel the need to desperately try to tear other people down.
Hey Lucy, I agree with you. And it extends further than just looks, too. I don't know what it is about this board (and the internet in general), but there are a lot of bitter, judgmental people who feel the need to tear others down. But I guess in a way, it's a lesson for us, too, to just let it slide off.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hey Lucy, I agree with you. And it extends further than just looks, too. I don't know what it is about this board (and the internet in general), but there are a lot of bitter, judgmental people who feel the need to tear others down. But I guess in a way, it's a lesson for us, too, to just let it slide off.
Yep! The problem with that line of thinking is if you have a decent self-esteem then one or a few random anonymous insults from total strangers isn't going to change that. It doesn't work that way, but people with low self-esteem who are bitter for whatever reason think it does work that way simply because it works that way for them. I'm not sure how many random insults it takes for a person to realize nothing is changing for them before they realize the only way they're going to change is to look within, dig deep, and put forth the effort.

Last edited by ShinyHappyLucy; 11-08-2015 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-09-2015, 09:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,393,497 times
Quote:

You're right...people shouldn't be insulting anyone at any time.
I"m thinking that only a person whose been personally insulted, would retaliate with anonymous insults.
It seems that people who are in really good physical condition...work out..buff...are sometimes quite (unnecessarily) critical of those who don't/aren't....it goes both ways I guess
I can't see it as bothersome though cause like you said, "it doesn't hurt their feelings".....

It seems a shame that so much store is set in society on physical appearances.
I also think how you look [physically] has nothing to do with weather you try to "tear other people down".
I've heard very physically fit people put others down......way more than I hear someone whose not(fit)... put down someone who is.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:47 AM

951 posts, read 1,148,824 times
People on the internet are brutal. I see it all the time where the most beautiful people in the world get stupid and nasty comments like, "If you take away the makeup, hair, and clothes, she wouldn't be as pretty." Well, no sht. Might as well take away her limbs too. People will say anything to make themselves feel better.

And also when I want to feel good about myself, I've been taught not to do that either. At least just to keep it to myself. We live in a judgmental world.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:52 AM

20,775 posts, read 20,170,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
People on the internet are brutal. I see it all the time where the most beautiful people in the world get stupid and nasty comments like, "If you take away the makeup, hair, and clothes, she wouldn't be as pretty." Well, no sht. Might as well take away her limbs too. People will say anything to make themselves feel better.

And also when I want to feel good about myself, I've been taught not to do that either. At least just to keep it to myself. We live in a judgmental world.

yeah, man. Without your limps you would be ugly like me, too. Where are the chips? Didn't I just open a new bag?

Old 11-09-2015, 03:52 PM

42,134 posts, read 75,759,909 times
People who live in glass houses ...

Old 11-09-2015, 05:16 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,521,559 times
Quote:

Totally agree with you on this. I see it all the time. I have a friend in particular on FB who is dangerously morbidly obese and she is constantly hurling insults at anyone who isnt overweight. Its crazy.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:30 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,236,387 times
Agreed with OP.

I have no self-esteem. But I always give props to people, even if I may not like them. No denying when someone is attractive, intelligent, successful, or charismatic.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You're right...people shouldn't be insulting anyone at any time.
I"m thinking that only a person whose been personally insulted, would retaliate with anonymous insults.
It seems that people who are in really good physical condition...work out..buff...are sometimes quite (unnecessarily) critical of those who don't/aren't....it goes both ways I guess
I can't see it as bothersome though cause like you said, "it doesn't hurt their feelings".....

It seems a shame that so much store is set in society on physical appearances.
I also think how you look [physically] has nothing to do with weather you try to "tear other people down".
I've heard very physically fit people put others down......way more than I hear someone whose not(fit)... put down someone who is.

People in great shape can have low self-esteem and do the same thing. Or it could just be that they're jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty