Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:59 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,529,322 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 06:03 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,974,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
It seems that people who are in really good physical condition...work out..buff...are sometimes quite (unnecessarily) critical of those who don't/aren't...
They really shouldn't be. They should be thankful that they are in that shape or have been able to get in that shape; they should realize that at any time they can develop a condition where they are unable to maintain physical fitness and then will deteriorate. It doesn't happen frequently, but have known of one who was of a normal, healthy weight and then later on had a chronic condition where she gained a lot of weight. Doctors have not been able to find out what happened or have been able to help her. Those who gloat now, they may find themselves in the same condition as those that they look down on. I think it is always good to give, when it is appropriate, the benefit of the doubt as you never know what people are struggling with.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:06 AM

6,625 posts, read 6,629,744 times
My sister in law was as ugly on the inside as she was on the outside. (not a good looking person) Sorry, but true.

She wouldn't give a compliment to save her soul and I was never, EVER mean to her. If she wore nice clothes or looked nice, or cooked a nice meal, I always complimented her. She NEVER ONCE reciprocated.

In fact, when my husband and I built our new house a couple of years ago, all she could say was nasty comments about it. Her comments hurt me so badly, I cried afterwards. I certainly didn't cry when she passed away, but I did feel sorry for my brother.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,304,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You're right...people shouldn't be insulting anyone at any time.
I"m thinking that only a person whose been personally insulted, would retaliate with anonymous insults.
It seems that people who are in really good physical condition...work out..buff...are sometimes quite (unnecessarily) critical of those who don't/aren't....it goes both ways I guess
I can't see it as bothersome though cause like you said, "it doesn't hurt their feelings".....

It seems a shame that so much store is set in society on physical appearances.
I also think how you look [physically] has nothing to do with weather you try to "tear other people down".
I've heard very physically fit people put others down......way more than I hear someone whose not(fit)... put down someone who is.
It goes both ways, but you'd be surprised at the level of cattiness directed toward women who stay in shape. Everything from criticism about what I do or don't eat, to my priorities as a mother, to the insinuation that I'm planning on (or already have been) stepping out on my husband.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:17 PM

20,775 posts, read 20,214,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
It goes both ways, but you'd be surprised at the level of cattiness directed toward women who stay in shape. Everything from criticism about what I do or don't eat, to my priorities as a mother, to the insinuation that I'm planning on (or already have been) stepping out on my husband.
So true!! I lived in VA (lots of overweight people) and got yelled at "****" and "skinny wh ore" out of cars when I was walking my dog.

Cashiers talked to every customer, then it is my turn and silence. Angry looks.
Women passing me "accidentally" bumping in me.

I never received punishment for being normal weight ever before. At least not so that I would have noticed it.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:38 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,622,177 times
Wow,

People can be extremely cruel. I don't know, but perhaps bitter people are bitter just because they don't know how to be nice? Think about it. Young children have to learn everything. Maybe these people never learned proper manners and get treated badly because of it, and perhaps they in turn treat other people badly, partially out of anger and partially out of ignorance. I work with kids who seem to have problems like that, and I also had trouble regulating myself as a child. Fortunately for the people who would have been hurt, but unfortunately for me, I couldn't think of a good insult to save my life. Since I didn't really have a sense of what everyone else was going through, I looked at the insults and hurtful words as a game, one I wanted to learn how to play, really. I thought if I could give good insults, show my wit, or even sabotage someone, I would get respect from everyone else. I wonder how many other adults are just grown children trying to play the social game and getting the rules wrong.

To this day, I admire overly assertive people and often fall for the bullies and bad guys before I know who they are. It's given me a very negative view of people in general, and I still wish I could use my tongue to "put other people in their places" instead of using it to unintentionally destroy myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty