Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:49 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,046,751 times

Advertisements

None of that fake faded junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 10:53 PM

347 posts, read 283,119 times
That's an interesting point about tennis shoes and jeans. I don't wear tennis shoes very often regardless of what kind of pants I'm wearing, but it's rare especially with jeans.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:56 AM

924 posts, read 1,681,709 times
I'm not crazy about skinny jeans on guys and never have been. As for showing your butt-crack or fancy boxers don't, just don't.

I used to sell jeans decades ago at The Gap back when they dominated the market with Levi's and their house brand. Most men back then did not even consider the cut of the jeans when they purchased them. It was a new thing, but now it's not and it's important and too many men ignore it. Men tend to find the color, the waist and the length, take them to the counter and buy them.

Please try them on. Try on the same size but in the different cuts they offer. The same jeans that you've worn for years as a teen and 20-something might be less flattering and less comfortable as you fill out in your late 20's to early 30's. If you gain or lose weight or start/stop exercising, you will probably look better in a different style instead of or in addition to changing the waist band size.

Once you find the right size and fit, you have to try on each pair you buy. The fabric color can make a difference. The same style but different color of jeans might actually be made a different plants or on different machines and not be cut quite the same and the fabric will behave differently as well. Also, when they cut the fabric for the jeans, it's done in big piles. When the slicer goes down through the layers, the ones at the top will not be the same size as the ones at the bottom. They all get stitched the same, but one pair will literally have 1/8" to a 1/2" less fabric on each size. It makes a difference, as much as one actual size, even though they will be labeled the same size.

I rarely see guys who wear jeans too short, but quite a few wear them an inch or two longer than is flattering. Too much fabric bunching up over the top of your foot destroys the visual line of you leg and makes you look short and frumpy.

If you wear an unusual size, try online. The range of sizes available online compared to in-store is much broader.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:27 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,106,699 times
Good advise, I agree with most everything posted, but based on some of the pics I would add a couple of caveats.

First, as a guy I personally would never tuck-in any short sleeved shirts, polo, T-shirt etc. with jeans.
It looks very "1970's" /Magnum PI to me.

Second, dress shoes without socks and/or boat shoes destroys the rugged look of jeans. Just say no.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:54 AM

311 posts, read 293,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
To expand on all of those excellent points!

DON'T wear the fancy jeans with the thick stitching and bedazzled pockets!

DON'T wear the super skinny jeans

DON'T wear any jeans and roll the cuff. NOT ON MEN

DON'T wear the skinny jeans so tight that the crotch looks painful, just don't wear skinny jeans.

Not a fan of jeans and tennis shoes. Just not. Not for dinner, movies, shopping, etc.
Really? 90% of us aren't lucky enough to find jeans that fit perfectly, inseam wise.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:59 AM

347 posts, read 283,119 times
Awesome advice everyone, I appreciate the input!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:22 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,923,178 times
My biggest advice about jeans for men is to try them on and look in the mirror, especially at the back. If the back of the jeans look like a deflated balloon, get a different cut.

I don't like skintight jeans on men but slim jeans look good on a guy with skinny legs. They look even better worn over boots, because the boots will disguise skinny ankles and calves.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:54 AM

18,492 posts, read 31,701,265 times
after reading everyones so called rules about men wearing pants, I am a man, and I am the judge of how i wear pants, not some internet people that mean absolutely zero to me.

come to brooklyn and see what the boys and men are wearing, this is where fashion is.................

Old 11-09-2015, 11:10 AM

311 posts, read 293,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
after reading everyones so called rules about men wearing pants, I am a man, and I am the judge of how i wear pants, not some internet people that mean absolutely zero to me.

come to brooklyn and see what the boys and men are wearing, this is where fashion is.................
A hipster from Williamsburg?

Old 11-09-2015, 11:28 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,106,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
LOL, these aren't rules, they're simply opinions.

One objective of a forum like this, is to reconcile the fashion statement one thinks they're sending, with the statement that's often being received.

If you've already made up your mind on these sorts of things...then why bother logging in at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty