Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 05:41 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,074,621 times

Advertisements

Name brand bras are sold at Wal-Mart, the same brand you'd find at many other stores except that you'll pay less money for the same bra at WM.

I have been professionally fitted for bras and they were crap. Probably because the so-called professional bra fitter was just your typical sales clerk who ended up being told to go 'fit bras'.

Not sure why some think bra sizes run small at WM; they carry a wide range of sizes, from the tiny trainer bras to the very, very large size bras.

But then again, some just bash WM because their friends do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 06:51 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,993,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Name brand bras are sold at Wal-Mart, the same brand you'd find at many other stores except that you'll pay less money for the same bra at WM.

I have been professionally fitted for bras and they were crap. Probably because the so-called professional bra fitter was just your typical sales clerk who ended up being told to go 'fit bras'.

Not sure why some think bra sizes run small at WM; they carry a wide range of sizes, from the tiny trainer bras to the very, very large size bras.

I disagree with that assessment. Bra fitters are just like every other store employee; some are good and some are bad, but most ladies I have talked to have had positive experiences. You should use your best judgment. When I went to be fitted, I dismissed the VS "bra fitting" out of hand. If you have anything on top, they laugh at you, as they did me. So I went to a specialty store. I was pretty sure I was wearing the wrong size, so my wife and I went to a lingerie store so I could be fitted by a bra fitter. I had the typical wrong bra size problems; too much gap on the sides, not enough lift or support from my bra, and underwires poking. A bored bra fitter came out, used the measuring tape, and put me in a 36D from the 38DD I had been wearing. I was sure she was wrong. Although that one bra seemed to fit right, others in that size did not.

Later when I went to another bra store to get fitted for a wedding bra, that bra fitter had a better eye. She did not use the tape; she looked at me about 5 seconds and declared, "Girl, you aren't a 38DD. You're a 34H." She came back with an armload of bras in that size, and I found my Holy Grail But I could only afford one at the store. I have purchased 7 bras all in that size and I actually look smaller rather than larger being in the right size, plus my back feels better.

One of the most interesting things I learned was that a properly fitting bra should feel tight, not loose. It's supposed to hold the girls in and lift them up. If there is bagging and sagging going on, the bra isn't doing its job. Unfortunately, bras should not fit like sweatpants; relaxed, loose, and comfortable. They're more like a snugly fitting back brace; a lacy back brace

Old 08-15-2015, 07:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,247,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

This part I agree with because I was a bra fitter at Nordstrom** for several years, and without fail every new client had been improperly measured by some yutz with a tape measure at [insert random store]. Go to Nordstrom, where the training is extensive and top notch; there's an actual certification process required before they can get anywhere near your boobs. As far as WM goes, the problem is they only carry standard sizes; good luck shopping there (or most any store, for that matter) if you have a small band size with a large cup size. (Otherwise, I love WM)

**I actually get a kick out of the fact that, in spite of being a heterosexual woman, in one busy weekend at Nordstrom I'd handle more breasts than the average dude does in his life!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:10 AM

945 posts, read 2,525,624 times
I have found the bras at Torrid to provide incredible support without having too much of a "push-up" look.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I disagree with that assessment. Bra fitters are just like every other store employee; some are good and some are bad, but most ladies I have talked to have had positive experiences. You should use your best judgment. When I went to be fitted, I dismissed the VS "bra fitting" out of hand. If you have anything on top, they laugh at you, as they did me. So I went to a specialty store. I was pretty sure I was wearing the wrong size, so my wife and I went to a lingerie store so I could be fitted by a bra fitter. I had the typical wrong bra size problems; too much gap on the sides, not enough lift or support from my bra, and underwires poking. A bored bra fitter came out, used the measuring tape, and put me in a 36D from the 38DD I had been wearing. I was sure she was wrong. Although that one bra seemed to fit right, others in that size did not.

Later when I went to another bra store to get fitted for a wedding bra, that bra fitter had a better eye. She did not use the tape; she looked at me about 5 seconds and declared, "Girl, you aren't a 38DD. You're a 34H." She came back with an armload of bras in that size, and I found my Holy Grail But I could only afford one at the store. I have purchased 7 bras all in that size and I actually look smaller rather than larger being in the right size, plus my back feels better.

One of the most interesting things I learned was that a properly fitting bra should feel tight, not loose. It's supposed to hold the girls in and lift them up. If there is bagging and sagging going on, the bra isn't doing its job. Unfortunately, bras should not fit like sweatpants; relaxed, loose, and comfortable. They're more like a snugly fitting back brace; a lacy back brace
I have very much the same experience when I went to a good fitter! And now I know what size to get, which brands I need to go up or down a band or a cup, and how to measure at home if I have gained or lost weight and need to get bras.

It was 100% life changing, and I looks so much better (and smaller) once I got out of the DD bandwagon! I totally discreetly help people I know too!

Old 08-15-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
This part I agree with because I was a bra fitter at Nordstrom** for several years, and without fail every new client had been improperly measured by some yutz with a tape measure at [insert random store]. Go to Nordstrom, where the training is extensive and top notch; there's an actual certification process required before they can get anywhere near your boobs. As far as WM goes, the problem is they only carry standard sizes; good luck shopping there (or most any store, for that matter) if you have a small band size with a large cup size. (Otherwise, I love WM)

**I actually get a kick out of the fact that, in spite of being a heterosexual woman, in one busy weekend at Nordstrom I'd handle more breasts than the average dude does in his life!
I have found good fitters at Nordstrom, but sadly, my closest stores stopped stocking my size.

They have re-orged the lingerie departments, and basically in my region, all of the stores that have a good selection of the G+ bras are way out in timbuktu for me.

I don't buy bras there anymore, though I would love the points, and go to a specialty shop in my neighborhood.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
I have found the bras at Torrid to provide incredible support without having too much of a "push-up" look.
Torrid bras are probably fine if you are in their size range. But their size range is pretty crappy. Even when I was 2 sizes bigger - solidly in their size range, they didn't actually have bras in my size, the bands were too big and the cups were too small - unless I wanted to do expensive alterations.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:12 PM

366 posts, read 495,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Mine mostly came from Target until I got pregnant. Target does a ****-poor job of carrying a decent range of maternity/nursing stuff. So I get my maternity/nursing bras from stores that cater specifically to maternity needs.
I find that Target does a horrible job at stocking just about anything. I can't count how many times I've gone there and not found any selection or have seen empty shelves. This isn't even Canada where they had a terrible time stocking things. Target's really gone downhill. They have maybe one rack of maternity clothes and personally I find 99% of the clothes they carry to be utterly hideous.

I get some bras at WalMart like sports ones but would go to JC Penney or Macy's for something fancier. I've also purchased online with places like barenecessities.com.

I don't have giant breasts so really the only reason for me to bother with a bra is because men can be pigs about other people's body parts. I definitely don't believe in this wearing painful tight garbage just for some stranger to feel tingly. I don't owe them that.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:14 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,912,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Watch for sales at Macy's or JCP and you will get better bras for you money. Walmart bra sizes don't follow industry standards (IMO) and they are lacking in quality.
I find just the opposite...IF you wear a standard size they have a variety of brands. If you need anything outside that ladder, you are probably out of luck.

They have a variety of name brands and store brands. The price is always right. You can look at the brands/prices on the website

In my old age, I've grown particular about my fit (I'm an odd size, hard to find a 34DD) so I just buy my bras direct from Hanes website/catalog.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:55 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,494,399 times
Most of the women who shop at Walmart don't know what a bra is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty