Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:33 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times

Advertisements

A fellow once told me to wear retro colognes as when younger women got a whiff of them they were reminded of their fathers or especially that younger uncle they had a crush on.

Break out the Old Spice, Canoe, English Leather......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:39 PM

804 posts, read 1,076,040 times
I like the original karl Lagerfeld cologne. very old fashion scent.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I still like:

White Shoulders
Vanderbilt
Coty Sand and Sable
Tabu
Halston Classic
Avon's Candid
Revlon's Jontue

Sometimes I still pick up a bottle of these because they're still being made - and I'm never sorry when I buy one of them!

I love Chanel and still wear Chanel #5 (a classic for all time in my opinion) and I love Chanel's Beige as well.

My two favorite contemporary scents are Michael Kors' "Michael" and Dior's J'Adore. For an inexpensive scent, especially when I'm just hanging around the house, I'll rub in a little Mary Kay Journey body cream - it's really inexpensive but it has staying power on me and my husband really likes the subtle scent.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:33 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Well I'm a young guy so I don't wear any fragrance, and I don't know if this counts but I loved the smell of my the Angel perfume my mom used to wear back in the late 90's when I was a kid. She no longer wears it and I don't know if it is still around.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:34 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The proper way to wear scent is very subtly. A man should not be able to smell a woman until he gets into kissing range. If he learns to associate the scent with the touch of you, the merest hint of it will short circuit his brain. It's a wonderful adjunct to romance.

Unfortunately, the proper use of scent is almost a lost art. Far too many people think that if a little is good, a lot is better. Women are not the only offenders. Some young guys use enough body spray to kill flies at 10'.
My squeeze told me he smelt me before I even knocked on the door.

He meant it in a GOOD way (I hope)

Im wearing Jimmy Choo lately.

I prefer the more modern scents but I do love white linen, can't wear it though as it does something weird on my skin and ends up smelling like fly spray.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:02 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
My squeeze told me he smelt me before I even knocked on the door.

He meant it in a GOOD way (I hope)

Im wearing Jimmy Choo lately.

I prefer the more modern scents but I do love white linen, can't wear it though as it does something weird on my skin and ends up smelling like fly spray.
Had a cologne once that was awesome with non-dry cleaned clothes. When worn with machine washed clothes it was great. For some strange reason, wear it with a dry cleaned suit and it was awful.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:14 PM

722 posts, read 1,329,100 times
Bay Rum

Pinaud Clubman after shave

for that old fashioned men's barbershop scent, I like to use it after a fresh haircut, reminds me of the barbershop, a gentleman's scent.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...la&kpid=142179

http://www.fendrihan.com/products/cl...FQqVfgodwEoA8g

Old 06-22-2015, 05:24 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Sadly........the formulations of many of our favorites have been changed over the years. Chanel #5 no longer smells the way it did back in the 50's. Ditto for Arpege......Shalimar too......

I wear Chanel Bois des Iles - usually when I got to the office as it doesn't bother anyone who is allergic to scents.

My usual go-to.........is Crepe de Chine........I've been hoarding it in my wine cooler. Difficult to find the original that hasn't changed.

I love 4711 on a hot day. Okay I'll admit it.....I was quite tempted to dunk my head under the 4711 fountain tap at their store in Cologne.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:11 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,961 times
I still love and wear White Shoulders. I love that it is fairly subtle.

I'm surprised that so many are mentioning Shalimar. I know a lot of older men like it though. It is such strong scent and I have to control myself from holding my nose if I am around someone wearing it. My mom used to wear Emeraude, and I found that to be really strong too.

I wish more men still wore English Leather, IMO still the very best scent for men!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
I am and have always been an Old Spice Man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty