Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,866,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Yep, gone are the days when people would get gussied up to head into Manhattan. Summer heat requires Summer attire, and that includes sandals or flip flips for women and men.
Yet here in Miami, i will see the tourists come from who knows where, complete with jeans, sneakers, and a polo shirt with an undershirt, and here them complain about "how hot it is", while they are soaked in sweat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:34 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
One friend tells me "anytime that shorts and a tee is acceptable". Another friend said "only to the beach or running a quick errand". Wh is right?

What about social events? Let's say to an event smaller scale event like a BBQ or family gathering to a larger scale event like a graduation party. Is it ever acceptable for guys to wear sandals or flip flops or are closed shoes socially acceptable? (assuming the guy's feet are taken care of)

Are sandals or flip flops more socially acceptable? The friends I asked (who are female) said flip flops are better. That baffled me since flip flops are the most open sandals there are. Figued a more closed sandal would be more socially acceptable.

I want to make an effort to get away from the shoes/socks and not a boat shoe guy so thought I would go with some type of sandals or flip flops. Wasn't sure I could get away with that outside of a super casual or beach situation though. I am a mid 30s male if that makes a difference.

Men wearing sandals...hmmm...at the beach or lake? While cleaning the pool?

I really hate men in sandals. Most men's feet are loved or tolerated by their mothers or wives.

And sandals and socks? NO NO NO!!!

Look into boat shoes, Docksiders, Sperry's, Topsiders - what ever brand is popular where you live. They look good with shorts.

PS - there are also CANVAS boat shoes. American Eagle makes them as do Keds and Sperry.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:20 PM

5 posts, read 4,126 times
Hello there. My personal opinion is that if a man wants to wear flip flops, regardless of where he is, he should, why not? If you are happy and successful in life, you have nothing to prove. I have on platforms right now and my husband asked me to stop wearing platforms as they are dangerous and he complains some of my clothes are too tight. Sorry, I wear what I want

Old 06-22-2015, 04:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,786,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
First of all, how does a person unsee something one has already seen? It's quite impossible, and I should know, since my career is in ophthalmology Secondly, having a thickened toenail from an injury, which can't be fixed, is different from foot fungus, which is a treatable condition and is often widespread throughout all your toes.

I developed a tiny spot of fungus on two toes and went to the doctor. He said, "Don't worry about it. Just wear toenail polish." I knew it would spread and was hard to treat once it did, so I told him, "Absolutely not! I want it gone. Now. I refuse to have gross looking feet like so many people around here." So he gave me a prescription for antifungal nail polish. I applied it faithfully for two months, kept my feet clean and dry, and the fungus disappeared, never to return.
Nothing says you have to look down at the feet. Some people's feet are cute; some are not. Such is life. Oh well.

People with less than perfect feet should NOT have to stuff them into closed shoes just because YOUR senses may be offended. Get over it.

I suppose less than attractive people should not be seen at the bars and restaurants you frequent either, eh?

Again, get over it.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Men wearing sandals...hmmm...at the beach or lake? While cleaning the pool?

I really hate men in sandals. Most men's feet are loved or tolerated by their mothers or wives.

And sandals and socks? NO NO NO!!!

Look into boat shoes, Docksiders, Sperry's, Topsiders - what ever brand is popular where you live. They look good with shorts.

PS - there are also CANVAS boat shoes. American Eagle makes them as do Keds and Sperry.
Luckily, YOU don't get to make the rules either!! I do agree, no socks and sandals, but as the mother of a son who wore boat shoes one summer....no. Just no. I far, far prefer sandals on men in the summer. The smell of sweaty boat shoes is not something one soon forgets.....

Old 06-22-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyoftheday View Post
Hello there. My personal opinion is that if a man wants to wear flip flops, regardless of where he is, he should, why not? If you are happy and successful in life, you have nothing to prove. I have on platforms right now and my husband asked me to stop wearing platforms as they are dangerous and he complains some of my clothes are too tight. Sorry, I wear what I want
Yep!! Me too! It is one of the perks of being an adult - each person gets to choose what he or she wears!

Old 06-22-2015, 04:49 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,999,633 times
Quote:
First of all, how does a person unsee something one has already seen? It's quite impossible, and I should know, since my career is in ophthalmology Secondly, having a thickened toenail from an injury, which can't be fixed, is different from foot fungus, which is a treatable condition and is often widespread throughout all your toes.

I developed a tiny spot of fungus on two toes and went to the doctor. He said, "Don't worry about it. Just wear toenail polish." I knew it would spread and was hard to treat once it did, so I told him, "Absolutely not! I want it gone. Now. I refuse to have gross looking feet like so many people around here." So he gave me a prescription for antifungal nail polish. I applied it faithfully for two months, kept my feet clean and dry, and the fungus disappeared, never to return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Nothing says you have to look down at the feet. Some people's feet are cute; some are not. Such is life. Oh well.

People with less than perfect feet should NOT have to stuff them into closed shoes just because YOUR senses may be offended. Get over it.

I suppose less than attractive people should not be seen at the bars and restaurants you frequent either, eh?

Again, get over it.
Wow. Such ire directed toward me, a person who simply doesn't want to view other people's fungus infested toes. I believe the line "It's not me, it's you" is rather apt in this situation.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:11 PM

859 posts, read 475,316 times
Foam rubber flip flops are fine just about anywhere when worn with discretion. As a man, I wouldn't wear them to a grocery but a hardware store yeah. Each of us must set limits for ourselves to preserve a civilized society. I personally don't think wearing them anywhere you want just because you are an adult is okay. In fact when someone says this to me I am more reminded of a spoiled child.
If you have toe diseases please keep that stuff to yourself. I've seen people wearing flops with their toe-nails sticking almost straight up vertically from their toes due to one toe disease or another. Go get some medicine! And too lack of grooming aggravates me. You ain't in the circus - go home and cut them toe-nails off! Fortunately, most guys I see who wear flip-flops all the time keep their toe-nails pruned back. But yeah flip-flops are fine to wear.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Wow. Such ire directed toward me, a person who simply doesn't want to view other people's fungus infested toes. I believe the line "It's not me, it's you" is rather apt in this situation.

Again, if you don't want to see it.....don't look down. Maintain eye contact. Problem solved.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 PM

286 posts, read 367,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
were talking about flip flops not underware.
You missed my point (which was pretty clear if you continued reading my post), but that's okay. If you need it spelled out for you, the point was that what are "dumb rules" for you might just be standards of behavior and courtesy for others (like in the wedding or interview examples I gave). In the same post, I went on to conjecture that you, too, probably have some standards, and if you consider where your own "dumb rules" come from (to use your own vernacular), then the question you asked ("who make sup [sic] these dumb rules") then answers itself.

If you have no standards of any kind, in any way, and are proud of that, then that is also a choice. No big deal.

That is the answer to the question you asked. Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty