Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:55 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,190 times

Advertisements

Having lived in the southwest and now the south, I have found that a good pair of sandals are essential for surviving the intense heat. I have a good pair that I bought and primarily wear them when I am going out to run errands in the summer heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:59 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Whenever they want although preferably when their toenails aren't funky colors and toes aren't all mangled looking.
I agree with the mangled looking opinion for both sexes. Living in Texas, I have seen sandal/flip flop clad feet that would make even the strongest stomachs turn flip flops Ugh. The worst is the bad toenail fungus. There is a lot of that going around in humid Houston. People, if you have that problem, please cover your tootsies with close toed shoes. You are doing your fellow citizens a visual favor.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:03 AM

709 posts, read 954,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Only at the beach.

Guys shouldn't wear shorts, either, unless at the beach, IMO.

Shorts and sandals just never look right on men. Better off with lightweight summer pants and athletic shoes or casual loafers, if it's really hot. Otherwise, jeans for casual wear.

As for sandals vs flip flops...I vote for those earthy sandals, if they insist on showing their feet. Flip flops are okay for the beach, I guess.

If they insist on wearing shorts, they have to be that dark khaki color, and long, and not too tight or baggy. Cargo shorts look cool and more manly.

EXCEPTION TO THE RULE: It might be okay for a really young guy to wear long khaki cargo shorts with sandals as casual wear. Sort of funky, maybe? I wouldn't know about that. But a better look would be cargo shorts with boat shoes or athletic shoes.
Possibly the worst post I have ever read. IMO
I live in the northeast and wear shorts every day of the year. I don't remember the last time I wore long pants. As for footwear, I don't own sandals. I wear thong type leather or cloth footwear 50% of the time. Classic slip-ons 25% and jogging shoes the other 25% of the time. Plastic flip flops, never.
Agree with other posters--wear whatever you want!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:19 AM

75 posts, read 88,697 times
To those of you who say that sandals are appropriate but not flip flops (I've heard people say the opposite), what style of sandals would you recommend? Leather-ish slides like these:

Fisherman style like these?

Teva's?

Or a leather flip flops (if those are considered sandals)

Many sandal styles for men are something a high schooler would wear or look a bit "old mannish" so I have to be careful with this one.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:50 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,202,675 times
I always wear em outside work. I could care less about what others think.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:23 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Only at the beach.

Guys shouldn't wear shorts, either, unless at the beach, IMO.

Shorts and sandals just never look right on men. Better off with lightweight summer pants and athletic shoes or casual loafers, if it's really hot. Otherwise, jeans for casual wear.

As for sandals vs flip flops...I vote for those earthy sandals, if they insist on showing their feet. Flip flops are okay for the beach, I guess.

If they insist on wearing shorts, they have to be that dark khaki color, and long, and not too tight or baggy. Cargo shorts look cool and more manly.

EXCEPTION TO THE RULE: It might be okay for a really young guy to wear long khaki cargo shorts with sandals as casual wear. Sort of funky, maybe? I wouldn't know about that. But a better look would be cargo shorts with boat shoes or athletic shoes.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while.

I seriously glad you do not get to run the fashion world (and I'm a woman!)

Old 06-21-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
To those of you who say that sandals are appropriate but not flip flops (I've heard people say the opposite), what style of sandals would you recommend? Leather-ish slides like these:

Fisherman style like these?

Teva's?

Or a leather flip flops (if those are considered sandals)

Many sandal styles for men are something a high schooler would wear or look a bit "old mannish" so I have to be careful with this one.
Try them on. Which are comfortable? Which fit? Which do not give you blisters?

Pick those.

OP, wear whatever the heck you want! It's one of the privileges of being an adult!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:24 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
One friend tells me "anytime that shorts and a tee is acceptable". Another friend said "only to the beach or running a quick errand". Wh is right?

What about social events? Let's say to an event smaller scale event like a BBQ or family gathering to a larger scale event like a graduation party. Is it ever acceptable for guys to wear sandals or flip flops or are closed shoes socially acceptable? (assuming the guy's feet are taken care of)

Are sandals or flip flops more socially acceptable? The friends I asked (who are female) said flip flops are better. That baffled me since flip flops are the most open sandals there are. Figued a more closed sandal would be more socially acceptable.

I want to make an effort to get away from the shoes/socks and not a boat shoe guy so thought I would go with some type of sandals or flip flops. Wasn't sure I could get away with that outside of a super casual or beach situation though. I am a mid 30s male if that makes a difference.

Whenever they choose to because at some point men and women should be able to figure out on their own what to wear for each situation they encounter.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree with the mangled looking opinion for both sexes. Living in Texas, I have seen sandal/flip flop clad feet that would make even the strongest stomachs turn flip flops Ugh. The worst is the bad toenail fungus. There is a lot of that going around in humid Houston. People, if you have that problem, please cover your tootsies with close toed shoes. You are doing your fellow citizens a visual favor.
If it bothers you that much, don't look.

I have a thickened nail on one toe due to an old injury. I will forever and always refuse to cover it up just because someone like you might not like it!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:27 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Just like women: Whenever they damn well feel like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty